1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Changing Fluid In M5OD 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by itzsnitz
My next project is to add filtration, a couple of three way valves, and a transmission cooler to prolong the life of my ATF (and make the flush/refill even faster). I was hoping one of you might have done something similar?
itzsnitz,

I'm not going to try to tell you what to do - but if you were asking for my opinion, I'd tell you this: Considering you DO change your ATF on a regular basis (~every 30K miles or so) I would point out that your transmission already has a filter and if I were you - I'd change the OEM filter behind the pan every other fluid change and be happy. Secondly, as long as you're NOT overworking/abusing your truck, I doubt your transmission needs an additional cooler. It should be equipped with a OEM cooler in the base of the radiator that will keep the ATF happy as well. I would suggest you use your time & $$ on other truck issues...like annually inspecting & bleeding the brakes, changing the differential gear lube every 30K miles, changing the power steering fluid every 30K miles, checking the pH / condition of the engine coolant, etc. Lastly, I wouldn't worry about trying to shorten up the time you spend on maintenance to a few minutes. Set aside a comfortable block of time, maybe an hour to complete a task and if you're done early, take the remaining time to roll around under your truck with a hand held light to inspect the condition of the driveshaft U-joints, the fuel lines, the brake lines, any exposed wiring, maybe jack up each front wheel and give it a wiggle - checking the wheel bearings, etc. I call it my 'time to bond with my truck'.....

BarnieTrk

Old 05-09-2014, 10:05 AM
itzsnitz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would point out that your transmission already has a filter and if I were you - I'd change the OEM filter behind the pan every other fluid change and be happy.
As far as I am aware, the M5OD-R2 ('92 F150) does not have an ATF filter. There isn't a removable pan on this transmission, so I'm a bit confused. I know the M5 series that is common between the F150/Ranger are slightly different, but I didn't think they were that different.

Secondly, as long as you're NOT overworking/abusing your truck, I doubt your transmission needs an additional cooler. It should be equipped with a OEM cooler in the base of the radiator that will keep the ATF happy as well.
Isn't this only on an automatic transmissions? I can tell you for a FACT that there aren't any lines running from the trans to the radiator. OR are you saying that I could simply run lines to the radiator because it already has a transmission intercooler? I'll be doing some investigation on this, might be another difference between the F150/Ranger...

I would suggest you use your time & $$ on other truck issues...like annually inspecting & bleeding the brakes, changing the differential gear lube every 30K miles, changing the power steering fluid every 30K miles, checking the pH / condition of the engine coolant, etc.
Sound advice. I have a steering upgrade planned (new pump, gearbox, tierods, linkage), so I'm not super critical about changing my PS fluid at this point. I've changed the diff lube twice (when I first purchased, and then about 30k mi later) and it doesn't seem with my driving habits that it needs to be done that often. I'm waiting to 50k for the next service to see how it compares.

My initial thought was to permanently install a filter in line with the electric pump to provide constant filtration of the particulates. Since then, I realized that (2) cheap three way valves would enable me to power-drain and power-fill the fluid. I had the thought a few days ago that I could add a small air-to-oil cooler with this system to help reduce temperature. I know there needs to be a bypass so that the ATF is not over-cooled, but what I'm looking for is if anyone has done this. I know it is overkill, but the point of my project truck is ultimate reliability. I initially planned on swapping in a ZF transmission instead of the M5R2, but it was extreme overkill for my intended use and I rather enjoy the gearing on the M5R2.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
itzsnitz,

MY BAD!
For some reason I thought you were talking about an automatic transmission.... sorry for the confusion!

You're correct - as each of the M5OD 5-speed manual transmissions in my Rangers do not have an internal cooler nor a filter. With that being said, I've had good luck with simply changing the tranny fluid (Mercon V ATF) every 30K miles or so.

BarnieTrk

Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 AM
greasemanicure
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any guess why the guy who sent me a rebuilt M5OD said to ignore the spec and put in Valvoline 10W40??? Has been in there for about three years/39,000 miles with one change after 10,000 miles. Mine failed by the three small plugs at the top rear of the case drying out and leaking all the tranny oil everywhere but on my driveway where I could see it. Rebuiilt came with steel plugs.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:14 PM
drb1956
Elder User
fluid

Because people think they are SMARTER than the engineers that design these things. I have NEVER used anything but Dexron/Mercon in my trans., and I have 154,000 miles coming on the clock. OIL is not ATF!!! I have just replaced my clutch, and slave, and it was easier to drain, than to risk it running out the tail shaft once you remove the driveshaft, if you don't keep it level. Its like having a NEW truck-it shifts and drives great. I have replaced my differential fluid a couple of times, and my preference for this is Valvoline DuraBlend synthetic blend 80w90. Fluids ARE cheap-engine/trans is not!! Good maintenance is the key to long vehicle life, as I have to keep this baby running for at least a couple more years. Good Luck!!

Old 07-13-2014, 04:30 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
itzsnitz, the cooler idea is a little different, just to point out Ford has 1 manual transmission that has a external cooler here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...al-tranny.html and it is for their 1 ton trucks, I don't think you can heat the Ranger transmission up enough to worry about.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 AM
deepswag22
New User
Wut kind transmission flud do I put in my 92 fordranger 2.3 5 speed

Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by deepswag22
Wut kind transmission flud do I put in my 92 fordranger 2.3 5 speed
I would suggest you use Mercon V ATF fluid in your '92 Ranger 5-speed manual transmission. It'll likely take about 3.5 quarts.

BarnieTrk

Old 08-18-2014, 06:25 PM
phoskins
Elder User
Originally Posted by greasemanicure
Any guess why the guy who sent me a rebuilt M5OD said to ignore the spec and put in Valvoline 10W40??? Has been in there for about three years/39,000 miles with one change after 10,000 miles. Mine failed by the three small plugs at the top rear of the case drying out and leaking all the tranny oil everywhere but on my driveway where I could see it. Rebuiilt came with steel plugs.
I've heard about a shop that rebuilds these M5ODs and puts some type of motor oil in them and always has. I have no idea why (I read about this on the F150 forum). I used Napa Dexron/Mercon III ATF in my F150 M5OD when I changed it just recently. It does shift better.

Those darned plugs !

Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Guess my response on using dino oil in tranny is RTFM.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Mercon, synthetic mercon (or dexron III ) or if still under warranty mercon V , though RedLine oils has a pretty cool sounding oil for our transmissions... Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - D4 ATF

Old 12-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Zoidberg
Senior User
Thumbs up Thanks!

I just wanted to thank the OP and everyone else who posted helpful bits on this thread.
I just changed my fluid out for the first time in my (new to me) 1994 F150 4.9L with approx 75k miles and there was a noticeable improvement in shifting and less whine at highway speed. I used almost 4 qt. Valvoline Full synthetic Dex/Merc as specified in my owners manual.
I highly recommend doing this if you never have as it's not much more difficult or expensive than an oil change. Plus you may be surprised by the crud stuck to the drain plug!
Most important note: REMOVE FILL PLUG FIRST! This was the most difficult part as I didn't have a large enough socket but a large adjustable wrench, a lot of patience/care, and a rubber mallet got the job done.
Thanks again!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 PM
chrisb87
New User
Originally Posted by G2IC_Wraith
If I am putting a rebuilt trans in my truck, instead of trying to pump fluid into the fill hole, can't I just pour it down the hole where the shifter goes in?

Less mess? And would that hurt anything? Thanks guys.
No it wont hurt anything. Thts how i fill and top mine off, and is also great way to flush out the rest of the old atf contaminated fluid before putting the drain plug back in.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by R031Kona
Mercon, synthetic mercon (or dexron III ) or if still under warranty mercon V , though RedLine oils has a pretty cool sounding oil for our transmissions... Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - D4 ATF
I use the Redline D4 ATF in my manual plus the power steering unit. Love it. Love it so much, that I also use it in my Toyota with Automatic. Good stuff
I tried using Redline MTL in my manual and it works great in summer but in winter, it gets too thick and I couldn't shift lol. No more MTL for my tranny...

Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Jlollis23
New User
My name is Joseph. And I was wondering how the Valvoline MaxLife DEXRON III/Mercon automatic transmission fluid work out in your m50d r2

Quick Reply: Changing Fluid In M5OD 5 Speed Manual Transmission