Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Elder User

customstringer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Let me add another point to this thread since I checked the tranny fluid on my truck today and added some. There have been some posts indicating the fill and drain plugs are 15/16. That may be true for some versions, I don't know. However for the Mazda
M5OD, no surprise since it is Japanese, the correct socket size is 24 mm.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Posting Guru

BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fellas,

Back on post #20, Thumper47 referred to another Tech Tip regarding the repair of the "three little shift-rail holes in the top of the tranny have rubber or synthetic push-plugs in them which get old & brittle and tend to leak."

However, the Tech Tip link [ http://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.php...FLeaking5b.doc ] seems to be GONE now.
Does anyone know of another link location for some guidance on the repair of these leaking plugs?

Thanks in Advance, Guys!

BarnieTrk
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Elder User

customstringer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure what happened to the link but if you have the tranny down to do the clutch they are sitting right on top and just pull out. Most seem to replace them with matched sized metal engine frieze/expansion plugs. That's what I had done when my clutch was replaced.

If you are trying to do it with the tranny up they are a bear to get to, small hands and long needle nose pliers help. This link may help:
Ford Ranger Shift Rail Plug Maintenance
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Posting Guru

BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, that link helped me visualize the plugs without a doubt - Thanks a bunch, CustomStringer!

BarnieTrk
Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM
New User

clof2001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Socket size?

Hi everyone, I have tried changing my manual trans fluid 3 times in the past 6 months. I have a 2000 F-150 5 speed 2wd. I have no idea what the model of the tranny is.

Anyway, I got about 120k miles on it now, and I know the fluid has been changed at least once (I'm the second owner, I had it done at jiffy lube or somewhere at about 70K)

So every time I get under there, I cannot for the life of me, get that drain plug off. Not even if someone had a gun to my head. The fill plug is on super tight as well. Like frozen on there. However, I've only tried changing the fluid on a cold motor/trans. Would it help if I drove it around and warmed it up a while? I had the clutch replaced about a year ago, but I really doubt they touched or changed the fluid, it wasn't the best repair facility to say the least.

Another issue. I have not been able to find the right size socket for the drain. I've tried about 5 of them, even buying a couple over at Kragen (they have no idea by the way). I don't know if it is some weird size or I'm just really missing the mark here. I tried to get it loose with a cresent wrench as a last resort, but it started to strip the plug, so I threw the brakes on that one.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty good with maintenance and I have one more payment before the truck is paid off, so I'm gonna try to make this beast run as long as possible
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
New User

clof2001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry guys I just realized I posted this in a Ranger & B Series forum
Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

rockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud of
NickThomas1989
Hey guys im buying a 91ranger exstended cab 4x4 with a 4.0L and a 5 speed tranny the probem is that when you shift it it squrts tranny fluid out the top buy the shifter
1994 red/grey F150 XLT 4X4 300i6, 1993 black/red f150 extended cab xlt 4x4 5.0 long tube headers accel ignition system K&N filter true dual exhaust with cherry bombs ,Nick Thomas /Wisconsin Chapter Leader, Offical FTE Big BSer#1
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin300 View Post
Hey guys im buying a 91ranger exstended cab 4x4 with a 4.0L and a 5 speed tranny the probem is that when you shift it it squrts tranny fluid out the top buy the shifter
It might be coming from the shift rail plugs.
Here is a link to describe the problem and the fix:

Ford Ranger Shift Rail Plug Maintenance

BarnieTrk
- 4WD '05 EB Excursion, 6.0L PSD, Co. truck
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

rockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud ofrockin300 has much to be proud of
NickThomas1989
Thanks cant wait to join you guy
1994 red/grey F150 XLT 4X4 300i6, 1993 black/red f150 extended cab xlt 4x4 5.0 long tube headers accel ignition system K&N filter true dual exhaust with cherry bombs ,Nick Thomas /Wisconsin Chapter Leader, Offical FTE Big BSer#1
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

NickThomas1989
Thanks cant wait to join you guys
Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Posting Guru

Danger_Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clof2001 View Post
I had it done at jiffy lube or somewhere at about 70K)
yeah they probly buzzed it back on there with an impact gun that produces hundreds of ft lbs of torque, and they say, eh it wont hurt it if i just zap it real quck. the same method boneheads at tire shops do with lugnuts instead of torquing anything properly like they are supposed to.

So every time I get under there, I cannot for the life of me, get that drain plug off. The fill plug is on super tight as well. Like frozen on there. However, I've only tried changing the fluid on a cold motor/trans. Would it help if I drove it around and warmed it up a while?
no it wouldnt. it wont get hot enough. a propane torch will though but beware of how heat can tranfer and possibly harm something else in the process. take a long box end wrench and hit it in the proper direction with a hammer, it'll go.

I had the clutch replaced about a year ago, but I really doubt they touched or changed the fluid, it wasn't the best repair facility to say the least.
yeah chances are they didnt. nobody will do anything above and beyond like that unless you specifically pay them and tell them to, or if its because they want to suck your wallet dry and they did it without your permission and state that its "normal procedure" if neither one of these things happened, your fluid is probly pitch black

Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Posting Guru

MikeB 88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clof2001 View Post
Hi everyone, I have tried changing my manual trans fluid 3 times in the past 6 months. I have a 2000 F-150 5 speed 2wd. I have no idea what the model of the tranny is.

Anyway, I got about 120k miles on it now, and I know the fluid has been changed at least once (I'm the second owner, I had it done at jiffy lube or somewhere at about 70K)

So every time I get under there, I cannot for the life of me, get that drain plug off. Not even if someone had a gun to my head. The fill plug is on super tight as well. Like frozen on there. However, I've only tried changing the fluid on a cold motor/trans. Would it help if I drove it around and warmed it up a while? I had the clutch replaced about a year ago, but I really doubt they touched or changed the fluid, it wasn't the best repair facility to say the least.

Another issue. I have not been able to find the right size socket for the drain. I've tried about 5 of them, even buying a couple over at Kragen (they have no idea by the way). I don't know if it is some weird size or I'm just really missing the mark here. I tried to get it loose with a cresent wrench as a last resort, but it started to strip the plug, so I threw the brakes on that one.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty good with maintenance and I have one more payment before the truck is paid off, so I'm gonna try to make this beast run as long as possible
Try soaking the plug with some Liquid wrench, then take the long box wrench and hit with the hammer like Danger Dave mentioned.
2000 Ranger Regular cab
2.5L with A/C backed up by the 5 speed manual, 2WD.
170,000+ on the clock.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Freshman User

pinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
What about the rear end..do you have to take the cover off and if you do,is the gasket reuseable??At what mileage is recomended?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Posting Guru

Danger_Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
do you see a drain plug?
there is no drain plug. therefore yes you must remove the cover. no the gasket is not reusable, you will most likely destroy it while removing the cover. and if you dont, when you put the cover back on it will leak. and rtv wont either. just spend the 5 bucks for a new gasket. and torque the bolts!
when you have it apart, this is a good time to install a drain plug.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Freshman User

pinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
No drain plug..torque at 30 ft/lbs?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 PM