Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2007, 09:03 AM
New User

SweetVannilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its a manual trans. Sometimes its hard to shift into 1st and reverse. They guy at AutoZone told me I needed gear oil, short for [Regular] Mercon (thats what the dealership told me I needed for my truck). The guy at AutoZone told me what to look for under the truck, and how to do it. (he also said I could just remove the shifter and the boot, and there would be a whole to pour the oil in, but its not a god idea to do it that way cause you wouldnt know how much to pour in and that could hurt the trans).

I was also told at AutoZone that I cannot use ATF, that would also hurt my tranny. Somebody said something about "Well, if you mean 'gear oil' as in tractor oil, then thats wrong, you need Mercon ... blah blah blah" Im not completely stupid. Nor do I live ANYWHERE near a tractor (thank God). All I was asking for was a picture of that little box/pumpkin shaped whatever you guys want to name it.

I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by IB Tim; 11-09-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Junior User

markfh11q is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wasn't implying you were dumb or anything, it's just that I thought I could use normal gear oil at first as well, but it surprised me when I read my Haynes manual that my transmission used AT fluid.

What year, driveline, etc. do you have? If it has the M5OD transmission, then it uses AT fluid. Like I said, the Dexron/Mercron formulation from CarQuest or some such is acceptable.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 AM
New User

rm56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What transmission oil to use in a Ford 5speed manual OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaford5spd1997i4 View Post
In relation to changing the manual tranny fluid, first of all, i am assuming i have that tranny( 1997 2.3L 5spd) adn second i was wondering if there are other iol types i should use that could be bewtter or to just stay with the atf mercon..
I have a 99 F-150. I am getting ready to change my transmission fluid this weekend. I checked my Chilton repair manual awhile back and read that Ford recommends Mercon V automatic transmission fluid for the 5 speed over drive manual gearbox. I was thinking 80/90W like my other car so when I saw Mercon ATF I called a Ford dealer and spoke to a mechanic who said yes use Mercon V ATF in that transmission. As for assuming what trans you have. You need to identify it for certain and then contact someone who works on them all the time. Never assume anything when working on a vehical. A previous owner could have made changes and you could wind up destroying your transmission if you use the wrong lube. Call a Ford mechanic, tell them what trans you have and they will let you know what to use. Have a good weekend and hello to all Ford owners out there. My 1999 F-150 is my first Ford and I really like it. It rides super smooth and is rugged as hell.

RM
Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Senior User

PAVEMENTMAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just bought some royle purple synthetic and nice smooth shifting now and also quiet.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Posting Guru

Danger_Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
another method you can use for getting the fluid into the trans without a pump is by getting a bottle of gear oil that has the nipple on the lid. take this lid and screw it onto the atf fluid bottle. voila. its cheap! and then you can use the gear oil for the differential while your at it and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Posting Guru

MikeB 88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nitetrain,

You said to tighten the plugs just a little more than hand tight, Is there a specified torque for the plugs?
2000 Ranger Regular cab
2.5L with A/C backed up by the 5 speed manual, 2WD.
170,000+ on the clock.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Elder User

customstringer is starting off with a positive reputation.
The torque spec for the M5OD on my Ford CD is 30-43 Ft/Lb.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Posting Guru

MikeB 88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstringer View Post
The torque spec for the M5OD on my Ford CD is 30-43 Ft/Lb.
Thanks,

I'm going to save this thread so I can do mine
2000 Ranger Regular cab
2.5L with A/C backed up by the 5 speed manual, 2WD.
170,000+ on the clock.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 PM
New User

swamp man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Informative thread!

Got a coupla' questions...
I just got a 2000 B2500, but don't have a manual for it. Is this the tranny I have, or was there a different 5 speed offered?
The clutch was repalced fairly recently. Is it necessary to drain the tranny fluid for a clutch swap, or might it be way overdue....the only clutch replacements I've done have been in old air-cooled VW's.
TKS
Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Posting Guru

racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp man View Post
Informative thread!

I just got a 2000 B2500, but don't have a manual for it. Is this the tranny I have, or was there a different 5 speed offered?
The clutch was repalced fairly recently. Is it necessary to drain the tranny fluid for a clutch swap, or might it be way overdue....the only clutch replacements I've done have been in old air-cooled VW's.
TKS
yes, you also have a M5OD witch takes a.t.f. as the recomended fluid. id change the fluid, unless you knew for sure it had been recently done. i change mine out about every 2 years. fresh fluid is never a bad idea.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=148057
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp man View Post
Informative thread!

TKS
If you had your clutch done at a decent shop or by a decent tech, I'd be real surprised if you didn't get new fluid as part of it. Unlike the old cable operated jobs in VW bugs, the M5OD has a hydraulic clutch and there is a slave cylinder in there that should be replaced while the transmission is down. Doing that is part of why I'd expect a fluid change. Whoever did your clutch would have done you no favors by leaving the old slave in there, so I'd check with them on that and the fluid swap.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Posting Guru

i did a fresh change with dexIII/merc and it shifts like crap.
it actually worked better with the old black fluid that was in it.
tomorrow i am going to try and go with merconV instead.

on this forum people say to use dexIII/merc
what do you guys use for fluid in the m5od trans? how much - The Ranger Station Forums

but ford says merconV is the actual replacement LUBE REPORT: Ford Pulls the Plug on Mercon

Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Posting Guru

racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i actully like a product called syncromesh fluid from pennzoil. its not a synthetic, but is ment for manual transmissions/transaxles. royal purple has a simalr product called syncromax which is a synthetic. the pennzoil fluid is available at autozone for about $7 a qt. ive ran it for 2 years now. ive also heard of some using 5w30 motor oil before. just dont use 80-90 gear oil. ive tried various types of a.t.f.'s and not noticed any difference between types. mine is a rebuild trans, got about 4 years on it now since put in. it actually had a tag on it when i got it that saud "use 5w30 mobil1 engine oil" i did use that for the first 6 months. seemed to work fine. the only thing i dont like about the pennzoil is the 1-2 shift is kinda stiff when its really cold (below 20) but i spose its going to be a little stiff at that temp no matter whats in the case until its warmed up some. once its been driven a few miles, its as good as new. link-> http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=148057
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Posting Guru

so you have a business like an owner operator does with a big rig but do it on a much smaller scale? thats way rad!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Elder User

As far as fluid to use, some with more expertise than me might try other things but for tranny fluid I stick straight to what Ford recommends and it varies depending on what version of the M5OD you have. That abbreviation simply stands for manual five speed overdrive, not manufacturer or year.

There are other things where I'm more confident trying aftermarket or non-specified but I'm straight on the spec for the tranny.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM