Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Posting Guru

Nightrain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow...Looks like you guys finally came alive lol.After 500 miles on my transmission fluid change,everything is still working perfectly.I'm glad that I did this procedure and I plan on doing it again in the next 9,500 miles or so .

Nightrain

"The Good Lord Knows What All I'd Give To Stay Here In Dixie"
Old 04-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Freshman User

mazdaford5spd1997i4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A question, I will be replacing my tranny fluid soon as well as my rear end fliud and im wondering if there will be any metal shaving in my tranny(ive missed the correct clutching before, no, not an everysday thing, rarely i miss it and it barks) and if there are is it normal and what would be a normal amount to look for. I go through ALOT of stop and go driving and almost never clutch wrong but the few times I do i let right off the shifter and back in neutral so i dont think ive done much damage. it shifts decently at 91500 miles and i can still do the slow clutchless shifting if i like. You guys also say that atf mercon III, maybe the Mobil 1 version is the best to use for the tranny, how bout a recommendation for the rear(3.73LS)
Old 04-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Junior User

Thumper47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
MazdaFord,
You will undoubtedly find some fine metal shavings in your old fluid when you drain your tranny. It's normal (to a certain degree), so don't panic unless you get big ol' chunks or gear teeth or something like that. Be certain to clean the magnet on the drain plug well before re-installation (if so equiped).

Seems like I remember that my owners manual recommends 85-90W in the differential - something like that. However, when Ford dealership re-shimmed my rear end under warranty, the repair statement indicated that they refilled it with 70-140W. Statement did not indicate that they added 4oz. of friction modifier though, which the manual calls for (that may be only for trak-loc differentials). I'll probably change it myself sometime in the near future, and will add the friction modifier.
Just use a good differential lube - you'll be okay. The thinner the viscosity, and the "slicker" the lube, the better your fuel mileage will be. But then, will thinner lube protect as well as heavier lube???? Get's ya thinkin', huh?

Just curious: Is this the first time your tranny fluid has been changed? I'm thinkin' that you're gonna be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks.
Thumper47
Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Junior User

TotallyRoosted is starting off with a positive reputation.
is there a wierd leak on these transmissions? i have a 94 4cy with the 5speed and it leaks but i cant pinpoint it.... almost looks like its coming fromt the top? is there a common leak on this trans? thanks

Joe
Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Junior User

Thumper47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Joe,
Affirmative on the characteristic leaking of said transmission.
Three little shift-rail holes in the top of the tranny have rubber or synthetic push-plugs in them which get old & brittle and tend to leak.

DO NOT allow your transmission fluid level to drop below full in this transmission!!!! Keep it checked and replenished frequently until you get your leak fixed.

Search, or look under Tech Tips, for fix of this problem. It's an inexpensive fix.

Thumper47
Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Junior User

TotallyRoosted is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok cool.. i'll look into it....... i know every car/truck has its little things and it never hurts to ask... you probably just saved me a few hours under the truck. haha..... thanks... im gonna check into that.

JOe
Old 04-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Freshman User

mazdaford5spd1997i4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, well, for my tranny, they recommend atf mercon III so im gonna use that and i will be putting mobil 1 full synthetic 75w90 in my rear end and 4 oz of the trac loc stuff b/c my LS 3.73 REQIURES it. Just a little advice to ppl doing their rear ends, don't forget the cover gasket when you get your fluids. thanks for all the info from ya'll, i appreciate it!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Freshman User

mazdanotaford is starting off with a positive reputation.
wanted to post i just changed the fluid in mine just now, used full synthetic v, was blown away on how bad the fluid was that came out, 58,000 miles,,used right under 3 quarts,drove around awhile, pulled the plug and flushed it out, refilled just because it looked so bad when i dropped it the first time, just for a note, it did not need the flush at all, refilled, shifts much better, as a matter a fact it was better when i first put it in gear, i do think im going to change it every third oil change just for the heck of it, took longer to pick which fliud then to change it, also i pulled the top plug first because i was wondering if it was low, a descent amount of fluid came out, you may want to pump a few secounds longer once its full just to make sure, our discount auto had the pump, it was 2.50, worked well and also had a catch that held the hose in, thanks for the info!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Posting Guru

el conquistador is starting off with a positive reputation.
how did you flush the tranny?
Old 04-09-2004, 05:42 AM
Freshman User

Air hose, after heated up for a good drive, dont try it unless your really prepared,wouldnt be good to get hit with the hot fluid, really didnt need it..
Old 04-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Junior User

zippy the pinhead is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrain
Now that you're under the truck...
I guess this is probably an obvious question, but does the truck need to be up on a ramp or jack-stands, or something?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Post Fiend

Beast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
I guess this is probably an obvious question, but does the truck need to be up on a ramp or jack-stands, or something?
I don't think it needs to be unless you can't fit under it...

-Matt
Old 04-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Freshman User

no flat ground, your filling it untill it falls back out of the tranny fill, the plugs are clearly marked on the drivers side.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM
New User

SweetVannilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking Hmm

I just posted a thing asking if somebody could take a picture of what I should be looking for. I need to add some gear oil, and I only have a slight idea of what I need to find. If you could do that, it would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Junior User

markfh11q is starting off with a positive reputation.
No pictures, but it should be fairly obvious from a description. Crawl under the cab on the driver's side and peek under there. On the side of the transmission, you will see one plug. At the bottom-side, another. Loosen the plug at the top, (labled "FILL"). The oil should be level with the bottom of that hole. Now, look at the bottom side plug, labeled "DRAIN". Remove that with a pan under it. It might be magnetic, (mine was), and therefore have metal shavings stuck to it. I just used a hard-drive magnet to remove them from mine. After drained, replace the drain plug. Grab a funnel and some hose that fits it. Open the hood and rest the funnel somewhere on the side of the electrical housing, (not on top of it!), and run the hose through the engine and to the bottom. Route it into the fill hole and start pouring. Tranny fluid is really viscous, so try to keep loops and turns in the hose to a minimum and keep a constant flow of fluid. Have somebody, or yourself, check every now and then to see if fluid is coming out the fill hole, (signaling the transmission is full). Let it sit a few minutes to allow excess fluid to leak out and re-install fill plug.

BTW, don't just use "gear oil". If "gear oil" means what it means here, that's tractor oil, that comes in buckets, which is not suitable for the M5OD transmission. It takes normal AT fluid. I simply got the Dexron/Mercron formulation from CarQuest.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 AM