What the heck is this? negative supercharging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Scopie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck is this? negative supercharging?

is this another 'twister/whirlwind/tornado' rip-off type thing? or is it a new method of supercharging no-one's used or seen before?
this place apparantly sells negative superchargers which seem alot differant to what I've seen.

http://impulsengine.com

it seems alot cheaper than standard supercharging using say, a kenne bell system. do you guys think its legit?

- Sean

Old 03-27-2004, 10:33 PM
packlet
Tuned
the 'kits' seem to run around $2000 or more, so i don't see that it's that much cheaper than 'standard' supercharing options. plus they don't seem to have any ford kits yet. and they seem pretty complex to install compared to conventional options. then again, it does sound kinda cool... wonder if actually works?

Old 03-28-2004, 02:22 AM
3eggOmelet
Junior User
Talking

looks kinda like hocus pocus to me. i sent the link to a engineer friend of mine who knows a LOT about fluid dynamics (which this covers), and he should let me know exactly why this is bunk.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:37 AM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
It makes perfect sense from reading how it works, but then again, Jurassic park made it seem easy to bring a T-rex back to LA. Amazing what money and brains can do

Old 03-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Scopie
Senior User
what gets me suspicious about it is that it doesnt publish and horsepower or Kw figures anywhere, only torque in lbs/ft. it just seems like an elaborate way to increase the compression in the heads. plus there is nothing on a 351w or c block.
if its anything like exhaust scavenging then that would generate a little more hp and torque, but nowhere near as much as a supercharger.
its available in Australia... and we have a pretty alert consumer watchdog. if these kits dont work, this company will be held accountable.

- Sean

Old 03-29-2004, 01:25 AM
3eggOmelet
Junior User
ok, my engineer roomy said that the idea works and has been around for years, but the benefit is only in a very limited range of RPM. he said that this is just a advanced form of exhaust scavenging. he stated that their claimed doubling of torque is a outright lie. he also made the point that if this technology were as great as that company says then every car made would use that system.

he's sure that for the same amount of money you would get much more reliable power from standard engine mods (heads, performance cam, hi-flow exhaust, intake).

my personnal choice for that much cash would be a supercharger!

Old 03-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Jimbo302
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All they are describing is changing the overlap to promote exhaust scavenging. Most any decent race engine is setup this way. They whole idea is to increase volumetric efficiency. That whole site is a gimmic though, negative supercharging .

Old 04-04-2004, 07:59 PM
F150daniel
Posting Guru
I say BS, i've seen lamer.
There's a book at the library about superchargers, it has some unusual superchargers in it that work, but none like that. I'll look again.
Thermocharger: more power from feeding hot air!? yea sure.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Jimbo302
Elder User
Originally Posted by F150daniel
There's a book at the library about superchargers, it has some unusual superchargers in it that work, but none like that.
I would hope not, the pics and description are of a NA engine. The name is a gimmic.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Capone
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This negative supercharging can be done with your engine by tweaking the intake centerline timing of your camshaft....he only draw back is that if you retard the intake centerlobe the piston will be further down the cylinder when the intake opens....this is good for high cylinder pressures...but bad for higher rpms.

Advancing the intake centerline drops cylinder pressures because the piston
is barely starting its downward movement for intake stroke...this will not pull the intake charge in as hard....but as revvs pickup the frequency of the piston moving downward will make up for it as the air inside the intake ports moves at an almost constant velocity.

these chumps are trying to sucker people into this.....

cracks me up...

Next thing you know, they will be offering you millions of dollars with the
condition that you have to deposit it into your bank acct.

lol

Old 04-21-2004, 07:43 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, Here's what I see wrong with the 'how it works' page.
1. Negative pressure is the same as vacuum. Vacuum is NOT NOT NOT NOT measured in PSI. Anyone who expresses vacuum in PSI hasn't got a clue what they are talking about. PERIOD.

2. Do you suppose detonation would enter into the picture here?

Old 04-22-2004, 08:55 AM
BandBFord
Senior User
This is a quote from their web sight.... Just another gimmick

"The 3 row Cellular Tubular Radiator or a Radiator with greater cooling capacity MUST use the Impulse Coolant Flow Restrictor"

"Coolant Flow Restrictor MUST be inserted into the top Radiator hose and secured with a hose clamp"

"The water temperature must NOT exceed the optimum 50°C (120°F) needed to maximise the power produced by Negative Supercharging and Hot Air Induction."

"DO NOT use 2 row or Tubular (solid fins) type Radiators with the Negative Supercharging Kits or Impulse Crate Engines. These type of radiators do not have the cooling capacity to keep water temperature below the optimum 50°C (120°F)"

Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 AM
BandBFord
Senior User
And what is this.... Check out item 5 (the intake manifold) I read... Uses carburetor? Definately GIMMICK!

http://impulsengine.com/kits.htm

Old 04-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Capone
Elder User
re:1. Negative pressure is the same as vacuum. Vacuum is NOT NOT NOT NOT measured in PSI. Anyone who expresses vacuum in PSI hasn't got a clue what they are talking about. PERIOD.

2. Do you suppose detonation would enter into the picture here?
------------------------
1. vacuum should be measured in inches of HG or Millimeters of HG.

2. Detonation wouldn't be too much of a problem because the piston pretty much starts a downward movement while the intake is still closed...this build up vacuum in the chamber...so when the intake valve opens up, the intake port velocity is increased. This is good for low end torque but kills top end power.

The only factors you would need to consider are
1.quench tolerance
2.cast flashing
3.too hot of spark plug
4.compression too high (domed pistons or small chambers)

Old 04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>All they are describing is changing the overlap to promote exhaust scavenging.Most any decent race engine is setup this way. They whole idea is to increase volumetric efficiency. That whole site is a gimmic though, negative supercharging<<

I agree that this can't be real supercharging. I also think that they are tuning to promote the scavenging effect. I know for sure that scavenging does exist, but I can't think of anywhere that it's important except for WOT driving. Anybody know of a low rpm motor where sasvenging is important?

Quick Reply: What the heck is this? negative supercharging?