Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-1999, 10:01 PM
New User

JENKINS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Front Rotors for F350 Dually Crew Cab

I have 30K miles on my truck and am about to go back to the dealer for the fourth set of front rotors. Dealer says it is a common problem due to vehicle size and I will have to deal with it. They said that the rotors just aren't heavy enough and offered no suggestions to remedy the problem. I pull a 4,000lb boat during the summer months and haul some wood in the winter. Not enough to cause the rotors to heat up and warp that often. Anyone else having similar problems and what solution is recommended?
Old 01-09-2000, 05:50 PM
W. H. Wilson

I too have had the same problem with my '99 F-250 SD. Have to have the rotors turned or replaced every 6000 miles or so. My dealer says it is a common problem but can't offer any fixes. So far the work has been done for free. I want to get something resolved before the warranty expires. The NTSHA website lists a TSB "Information regarding new design front rotors and hubs service tips". It is # 99-12-2. I cant find any details on the TSB.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?? Any fixes?
Old 01-09-2000, 11:28 PM
Postmaster

PAUL_2 is starting off with a positive reputation.

ROTORS TURNED AT 8000 MILES NOT SATISFIED. I DON'T EVEN TOW ANYTHING WITH MY 250 SD.
Old 01-10-2000, 06:08 PM
Senior User

Steve R is starting off with a positive reputation.

At 22,000 I had to have the rotors turned for the first time on my F0250 SD Crew Cab. I didn't have any problems at all until I had one of the dealerships rotate the tires at 15,000. Shortly after that, I had a rubbing that seemed to come from rotor warp. I attributed that to over torqueing with an air wrench. Let's see what happens in the next 8000 or so miles.
Old 01-10-2000, 07:24 PM
Paul and Steve R

Ford has a new brake pad that has a “V” spring on the back. I think that it is really to keep the pad away from the rotor. Most other brakes that I have worked on have this type of spring. Ford feels that the lack of a spring is allowing the pad to rub against the rotors while driving. This would cause the heat build-up and eventual warping of the rotors. If your service department would look into the information that Ford provides, via the service department computer, they should be able to find the solution. If not, they could also call my dealer, Jim O’Neal Ford, at: 1 800 322 1605. Paul Nelson is the Service Manager who found the possible solution in the computer. I say possible because I haven’t had this done on mine yet. However, I will by the end of the month after a 1600 mile road trip. This should put mine over the edge. I am hoping that this will make mine warped enough for new rotors too.

Good luck and let me know what you find out!

Old 01-10-2000, 10:27 PM
XXL FORD SUV

I don't have a SuperDuty but I do have an Excursion with 14,085 miles on it and I have had the rotors warp twice so far. The first time they resurfaced the left front and now I am waiting for new rotors, they are back-ordered for about 2 weeks. My dealer can't beleive it. I am going to ask him about the "new" brake pads because he thought this could be the problem after looking at them this time (he noticed the pads were resting on the rotors).

I will keep you posted.

Bill
Old 01-11-2000, 04:06 PM
Greg B.

I do not have my truck yet, but I do have a ’95 Cobra that had the same warped rotor problems 2 or 3 times in 2 years (about 10K miles). Anyway there are a couple factors to it. First the lug nuts have the torqued down exactly the same or the rotors will warp. I always re-torque the lug nut before leaving the dealership lot if they had to take a wheel of for service. Two, the rotors will warp with any type of high heat build up. My solution to the problem was to buy a nice new set of Bendix rotors all the way around and switch to a much better high performance street/racing pad. Have not had a lick of trouble since I have 31K on the car. I autocross and road race this car so it takes one hell of a beating on the brakes.

I plan on replacing the pads ASAP once the truck does come in. I think they were half of the problem. The crappy rotors where the other half.

Hope this helps, Greg

Old 01-23-2000, 07:36 PM
New User

bvpclark is starting off with a positive reputation.

I guess i'm glad i'm not the only having this problem. I have 15,000 miles on my 99 ford f250SD and am about to have the second set of rotors installed at the dealer. Ford has a MAJOR problem here. I've had to just touch the brakes in some snow and ice and the vibration you get takes the truck all over the road. if they're not careful and get a fix out for this, they'll have another "chevy gas tank problem" in their lap. at about 7500 miles my rotors are downright unsafe.
Old 01-23-2000, 07:44 PM
New User

bvpclark is starting off with a positive reputation.

same front rotor problem. every 7500 miles, like clock work.... i'm looking for a perm. fix...
Old 02-02-2000, 07:46 AM
Freshman User

autotech is starting off with a positive reputation.

TSB 99-12-12 is for the replacement of front brake rotors and hubs on 1999 Super Duty F Series. The new rotors and hubs started into production on March 8, 1999. This will be covered under warranty only if you have "non-serviceable" hubs and rotors. Hmmm, I wonder who makes that decision?
Old 02-02-2000, 12:49 PM
Senior User

Steve R is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 02-02-2000, 12:49 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
01, 2000, 2002, brake, cab, changing, crew, dually, duty, f350, ford, front, heavy, problems, rotor, rotors, vibration