Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2000, 07:59 PM
New User

campbell99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Overdrive Light BLINKING (F250 SuperDuty)

Greetings,

I have a '99 F250 SuperDuty Diesel with an Automatic Transmision. There is a button on the end of the gear shift which allows you to turn off overdrive -- in other words the transmission won't shift into overdrive once you press the button.

Here's my problem. I start off driving normally. I've not done nothing to the overdrive button and the truck shifts normally into overdrive. 10-15 minutes down the road, the overdrive light (which indicates the state of the overdrive button) is FLASHING. Pressing the button doesn't stop the flashing. Once this flashing starts, the only thing I notice is a much more abrupt shift from 1 -> 2 gear. Odd.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Regards,
kc
Old 02-16-2000, 09:27 PM
Senior User

Roger_B is starting off with a positive reputation.

I don't know what the resolution was, but I've heard of this symptom before.. Your ford dealer probably knows how to fix it.. I would assume theres a TSB on it.
Old 02-17-2000, 12:33 AM
Postmaster

V10man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

The blinking light means the computer for the tranny senses a problem. Have the dealer look at it asap.
Old 02-17-2000, 01:11 AM
New User

dad3838 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:00 PM
New User

ICHTHUS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry

2002 7.3 PSD with blinking O/D light = $4100 new tranny
Old 07-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
... Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

This happens to be an old thread, however stick around and someone will be by to talk with you.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!
Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 07-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Senior User

toypuller is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem with my 05 F 250 that started about 50 miles after I picked it up.

Was told it was a "shifting solonoid " inside the tranny. They had to drop the pan to get to it, but it was a simple fix.

It was covered under warranty so I can't tell you what it would have cost.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
New User

calhounsF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my old 99 done the same thing and the sensor on top of the rear end had gone bad. it's easy to find it's right on top of the rear chunk, you have to take it out to add rear end dope, it has a magnet on the end to catch metal fragments. i know this sounds confusing but get under your truck and you'll see what i'm talking about. i think the sensor is only about 20 bucks from powerstrokeshop.com. PM me if you still can't find the sensor.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Posting Guru

Casey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The only way to know what's going on is have the code read. When the OD light flashes an error code is stored in the computer's memory. A Ford specific scan tool is needed. The auto parts stores that say they will read codes free usually can't read a transmission code.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
you need to find some one with a shop type scaner to read the trans codes. thats the starting point. not running and getting a trans rebuild . the other guys have said as it should be started every time. read the codes first.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 PM
New User

critterz is starting off with a positive reputation.
did you find the issue to your overdrive problem? I am having the exact same issue with my '98 ranger. drives fine until I hit about 50-60 mph then o/d shuts off and shifts very hard when I slow down. The shift button does nothing at this point. I have changed atf, oil, filters, plugs and wires, etc to no avail....I am leaning towards the speed sensor but wondered if you got your issue resolved.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
If your transmission is shifting hard and the lights are flashing, you're driving a ticking timebomb. The more you drive, the more damage. Take it to a dealer.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Probably a bad VSS sensor at top of the differential....but as others have said, don't throw parts at the problem, have the codes read and fix it the first time.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
New User

Saddle Tramp 57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had same problem with F350. Tried new VSS and cleaned MAF but still blinked. New transmission - quit blinking. It wouldn't throw any codes.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Posting Guru

Casey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp 57
It wouldn't throw any codes.
Sure it did. You must not have had the right scan tool to be able to read Ford transmission codes.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2000, 2001, blinking, blinks, f150, f250, flashing, ford, light, overdrive, ranger, slips, superduty, truck, v10