1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

TIS THE SEASON "A/C"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:14 PM
SUPJDO
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIS THE SEASON "A/C"

well today was the 1st time that the temp outside got up to or above 70 this year So i tried out the a/c and........nothing.checked fuses all ok. Compressor not engaging.So any advice? Or ideas on what or why this happened? Also whats the fixes. Looked in the chilton's and it really does not say much. jun.jul.& aug is rite around the corner, gotta start on now. as always thanx.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:09 AM
zippy the pinhead
Junior User
You didn't indicate the year/configuration of your truck, so I don't know if your problem has the same root as mine, but I have a '96 Ranger with the 4.0L engine, and factory A/C installed.

Last year I wasn't getting any cold air so I took the car to my mechanic, and he replaced something called the A/C pressure switch, and voila, my A/C works again. The price was $27 for the part and $65 labor, and according to him I was lucky, because he was initially thinking "no A/C = possible compressor problem ($$$$$)."

Just my $0.02

Old 03-27-2004, 12:11 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got some questions for you now.

When was the last time it worked (for sure)?
Do you get power to the clutch? Unplug it and test for power with a test light. If it doesn't light up right away, wait a moment.
Is the clutch grounded properly?

If the clutch isn't getting power, then start tracing back towards the switch. You might just find the problem in or past the plug. Check the wires leading to it, looking for any "green" or corrosion. The insulation can also be checked. If it looks like it's blistering under the insulation, bend it, feeling under the insulation for anything that doesn't feel normal.

Same for ground.

What I'm leaning towards is no power to the clutch. But a bad clutch isn't out of the question. They are fairly simple to replace. Remove belt, remove pulley, remove and replace clutch. Reinstall pulley and belt. I have never done one on a Ranger, but I have done several on Volvo and Peterbilt trucks. I figure the AC clutches would be similar in design.

Old 03-27-2004, 06:40 AM
SUPJDO
Senior User
Sorry gents for the lack of info. In 2/04 I bought a 97 ranger 4x4 xlt xcab 4.0 . It had 165k on it when i got her. I really don't know when the last time the A/C worked. I have to go to work this AM so I won't have a chance to test or do anything until later. Any way I'm not really into the electric thing. I'll do the visual things though and check the connections. I spoke to a mech. last nite and he told me that it is possible that it is low on freon, if it is low on freon then the compressor will not engage? So I am trying to get as much info and possibilities as I can so it will be 100% by the time hot weather comes( also I am getting my wallet ready just in case of the worst).Zippy said that it may be a A/C pressure switch for under $100 so that is getting me some idea where I am at. I will see if i can check the electrical.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Lil red_ranger
Freshman User
If it were me i would check the freon,if it's too low the compressor wont turn either,also the pressure switch was leaking so after replacing it and filling with freon it works great now.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:27 PM
SUPJDO
Senior User
Well checked all connections, all seemed to be fine no frays,broken wires or loose wires.Found one that had a little corrosion on it, cleaned it up still no air so time to spend a little money and see what level the freon is.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:29 PM
zippy the pinhead
Junior User
Is it true that one way to tell when the freon level is low is when you can see bubbles through the sight glass? I heard that somewhere, but can't recall who told me. I've never tried this method, either.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Dayne
Freshman User

Hey my 1992 2.3L has A/C, but when i turn it to COLD nothing happens? what should i check in to?

Old 03-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you jump the low pressure switch and the compressor runs your low on charge or the LPS is bad, don't let it run for more than a few seconds or you'll damage the compressor.