1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

MAX Tire size for lowered 53-56

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 02:11 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
MAX Tire size for lowered 53-56

I have read here a number of times of members installing 275-60s (28" tall) on the rear of their trucks. It looks like I would really be pushing my luck on a good bump as they are going to hang out of the wheel wells just a bit. Fender interference looks extremely likely if I go any lower which I intend to. I'd like to get this right as I don't wish to add to my nice collection of new tires I don't have a use for. I am very tempted to just go with a 255-70 series BF Goodrich TA (29" tall) to match my 235-70 on the front (28" tall). The 70 series will definitely clear the fenders. Anyone think 70s would look OK on the back?

I am currently running 255-60s (27" tall) and they are just too short. I am a disciple of Vern's "Tall tire makes truck look lower and better theory" Anyone getting by with 275-60s on a moderately lowered truck? You would not think an inch would make a difference but Kai noticed right off my front tires were an inch taller than my rears. Which looks stupid.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:50 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatfenders,

I have 255/70 X 15 BFG Radial T/A's (on 15X8" rims) on the rear of my truck. See my gallery or E-mail me for pix off-line. The rear springs are de-arched about 2.25-2.50". The front tires are also the Radial T/A's, but they are 225/70 X 15's on 15X7" rims.

Rem: I have the Dak IFS, so that lowered the front end, too.

Daryl

Old 03-26-2004, 04:25 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Hi

I have P235/70R-15 on 8 inch rims in the rear and P215/70R-15 on 6 inch rims on the front. I also have a rear end out of a 76 F150 so it may have a little wider track.

The rear side wall sets about 1/2 inch inboard of fender flange.

Chuck

Old 03-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dewayne, check out my side views. I have the 275x60 both on the front and the back. They are on 15x8 rims with 3" backspace (if I remember correctly.) I don't know what backspacing you have on your rims. But mine are sized so that the outside wall of the tire is even with the outside edge of the fender. But I have the torsion bars adjusted just about all the way up to give me clearance or they will scrape. So when you say "lowered," I would say they will work only if you have the rims' backspacing adjusted so that they set well inboard of the fender edges. Have you already bought your rims? Stockton Wheel has a nice little guide on their website for figuring backspacing. Hope this helps, because as you know, I like big wheels too. John PS, check out the beginning photos when the truck was in primer. The tires on the front were 225x55. Way too small.

Last edited by Jag Red 54; 03-26-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:03 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Thanks for the info so far. I read my confusing post. Here is a little more info. 15x8 chrome smoothies all around. I got my backspace pretty good. They are nearly perfectly centered in the rear wheel wells so I can run max size possible. 53 Stepside bed.

I'm happy with the front. 235-70s fill the front as well as I dare. I am considerably lower than John in the front. I couldn't possibly stuff a 275-60 up there.

I decided it would be wise to install my No Limit shackle kit now. No need in speculating my final ride height when the parts are sitting on the bench. I want a 28-29" tall tire so my options are limited. I would probably buy 16" rims if I did this over. And 7" width instead of 8 on the front. I'm stressing out my Volare for no good reason. In any event I do not want to make my truck fit the tires I buy. I've done it that way too many times before.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:46 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
I got my No Limit drop shackles on. So I can now see for myself the answer is no. 275 width tires are not going to fit inside stock rear fenderwells on a lowered truck. At least not BFG TAs 275s which have a cross section width of 11", the same as the fenders. Not going to work if your axle moves laterally on a big bump, which it will of course. No biggie, 255s will suit me. Just wanted to go as wide as possible.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:27 PM
joners
Elder User
I have a 31" tall tire on my rears, they are also 16.5 wide.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:06 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
I am a disciple of Vern's "Tall tire makes truck look lower and better theory".
I have a disciple? I'm honored...

I don't know why you guys don't give more consideration to 75 series tires. They ride smoother, steer easier, and cost less. True, they don't have that big track, but they do fill up the fender well nicely.

Vern

Old 03-27-2004, 08:36 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
" I don't know why you guys don't give more consideration to 75 series tires. They ride smoother, steer easier, and cost less. True, they don't have that big track, but they do fill up the fender well nicely."

Vern

Vern

We could debate attributes of tire width at great length. We have adequate fenderwell to run a tall 60 or 70 series tire so the ride arguement really doesn't apply. If you are talking about running 18-20 inch rims, then I agree, as they don't come with enough sidewall for a nice ride. Handling is also important to me. Radial 75s work well on a straight axle with no PS. I just think a little width enhances to the look from the rear of the truck.

Joners

So are those 255s or 275s you posted PICs of? I think I'll have to stuff a couple washers on my fender mounting bolts to get those tucked in?

Old 03-27-2004, 09:08 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
"
We could debate attributes of tire width at great length. We have adequate fenderwell to run a tall 60 or 70 series tire so the ride arguement really doesn't apply. If you are talking about running 18-20 inch rims, then I agree, as they don't come with enough sidewall for a nice ride. Handling is also important to me. Radial 75s work well on a straight axle with no PS. I just think a little width enhances to the look from the rear of the truck.
'fenders,

The shorter the sidewall the less the tire flexes and the stiffer it rides, so a 60 or 70 series tire will never ride as smoothly as a 75 regardless of high tall it is. I agree that the wider 60/70 series tires enhance the look from the rear, however, a 75 series tire spread out on an 8 inch rim will also look wide from the rear. When you get into rim widths wider than eight inches, you have no choice but to go with a lower profile tire in order to get one large enough. The big advantage in the lower profile tires is performance because the more tire patch you can put down the better traction and cornering you will have.

Vern

Old 03-27-2004, 10:14 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"The shorter the sidewall the less the tire flexes and the stiffer it rides, so a 60 or 70 series tire will never ride as smoothly as a 75 regardless of high tall it is."

Vern

It seems to me that sidewall height = total tire height are the same thing for a given rim diameter. Once you have achieved max tire diameter for a vehicle, you can't benefit from by going to a higher profile tire. Perhaps I missed your point?

Give me a real world example for my truck. On the front of my truck I have a 15x8 inch rim. I desire a 27-28" diameter to fill the wheel wells. I am currently running a 235-70 that is 28" tall. 28" is my upper limit for clearance if I want to remain fairly low. Whats my better option in a 75 or 78 series tire that will offer a better ride?

Last edited by fatfenders; 03-27-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:12 AM
joners
Elder User
Joners

So are those 255s or 275s you posted PICs of? I think I'll have to stuff a couple washers on my fender mounting bolts to get those tucked in?
Neither.

They are Hoosier Pro Streets.

Let me do some calculating......

It's a 15" rim, metrically it would be a 420/60 I think/15

Just giver.

Old 03-27-2004, 01:18 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"Neither"

Believe it or not I could tell from your PICs those weren't 255s

Those are some monsters Joners, it's going to look full Pro Street. How much tub are you going to run? At a glance, I would have guessed you would have to narrow the frame but it looks like you got them bolted up OK.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:47 PM
joners
Elder User
The tubs on go to the frame. Frame was touched at all!

I still could've gone one size up but I didn't want to cut it to close, gotta have some sort of border line...

Old 03-28-2004, 07:35 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
"It seems to me that sidewall height = total tire height are the same thing for a given rim diameter. Once you have achieved max tire diameter for a vehicle, you can't benefit from by going to a higher profile tire. Perhaps I missed your point?

Give me a real world example for my truck. On the front of my truck I have a 15x8 inch rim. I desire a 27-28" diameter to fill the wheel wells. I am currently running a 235-70 that is 28" tall. 28" is my upper limit for clearance if I want to remain fairly low. Whats my better option in a 75 or 78 series tire that will offer a better ride?
'fenders,

Guess I wasn't too clear on my statement. What I mean is that if you compare a 75 series tire to a 50/60 series and both are the same height, the 75 will have a higher profile (the distance between the rim and the ground) than the 60 series and therefore will have a softer ride. In your real world example, you would have to find a 75 series tire that was 28 inches tall (if you are limited to 28 inches). I have no access to a tire chart so I can't say for sure what size that would be, but if I had to guess I'd say a 225:75 would be close, possibly even a 215-75. Does that make more sense?

Vern

Quick Reply: MAX Tire size for lowered 53-56