1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

GM vs Ford steering column in F-1

Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 PM
dixon18
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM vs Ford steering column in F-1

I'm down to the steering on my F-1 and I would like to know why most guys are going with the GM tilt column and not a Ford. I'd like to keep this thing all Ford if I could so any help out there.

Chris
Alberta

Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Apperently the G@###M column has a bottom(?) bearing or a easier setup. I am going through this later this year and want to use a tilt column that I have from a 78 F150. I don`t know how it will work but believe I can make it work. Like you I like to keep it all Ford/Mercury and I will do so even if it may be a little more work. I hate those fat ugly ###@ columns that look out of place in the nice old Fords that some people insist on using.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:07 AM
oilyowl
Junior User
I am in the prosses of installing a 74 ford colum in a f-3, the fit is good, and it looks like a ford. With the toy box it is a eazy install.

Paul.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:04 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: GM vs Ford steering column in F-1

Chris,

I've done GM, AMC, and Ford and soon will be doing a Mopar. I'd have to say that the GM was the easiest of those to install. The lone Ford I did was a T-Bird into a 32 Ford. I found the wiring was easier on the GM and found little in the way of dress up items for the Ford column. That was many years ago and since more Ford columns are finding their way into street rods these days, perhaps that has changed. If you like the Ford column, I'd say go with it because you are the guy who will have to look at it every time you get in the truck.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:11 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have a 71 LTD column in my 56 but exchanged it for a 75 Camaro. Two reasons.... I liked the all steel look of the Camaro. It looks at home in the old truck, no plastic. The other reason was that I am using a floor shifter and the Camaro did too.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:20 PM
dixon18
Junior User
Hey thanks again guys,
I've decided to go with the '76 C#*!Y van column I noticed that the wiring harness on the bottom is really easy to hook into and since I'm going with an obscene amount of stainless inside I can buy a whole lot more dress up kits for it. I think with the stainless column cover, it won't look as bulky and out of place as if it were painted. Gonna go for it and see what happens, if it doesn't work I'll have to try something else on the next one.

Chris
Alberta

Search this Thread