Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Senior User

Fordcr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry P0303 misfire

2000 4.6, 60k, went out to pass today and engine went rough. SES came on, code:P0303. Help. which is cylinder 3? COP? worse? swap with another? Does this engine have plug wire under coil?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Freshman User

Rickz96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice, most likely it is the coil. I had the same problem but cylinder #4. Your lucky cause it's #3. That one is the passenger side of the motor; third plug back. Take the 7mm bolt off and pull the coil/boot assembly out and replace. You might get away with just replacing the boot, but I doubt it. Have fun
Old 03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Senior User

itlkick is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would be interested in how this turns out. I have been having a similar problem (but with #4 - the bad one) and have been too lazy to swap it out. Happens primarily under load (like when passing).

I was considering buying an ignition amplifier rather than pulling that damed coil off again! - LOL!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Senior User

Troll45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Remember on some models the heater hose to heater tube is directly over the #4 coil. The hose clamp from the factory was not properly tightened and seeps antifreeze on the #4 coil assy, and kills it. This was a big problem. Replace the clamp, dont try to tighten it.
256,000+
Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Senior User

Cool

I moved coil from cyl3 to cyl1 and moved the problem! now P0301.

FYI: Standard Motor Products now makes a repacement boot part number SPP39, Advance Auto Parts has a listing online but no instore stock. For now I will spend the $50 on a coil, research is just the boot bad later.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Senior User

Went to Pep Boys, got coil, install and test drive WOW! Old one must have been almost bad for a while. Truck runs much nicer now. Thanks for all the reponses.

Chris
Old 04-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Junior User

Tom Norman is starting off with a positive reputation.
My son replaced the plugs and wires about 8,000 miles ago, with no problems at all during that time. Then about 1,000 miles ago, the "check engine" light came on and stayed on. I rechecked the wires and checked for vacuum leaks, and found nothing wrong. AutoZone ran the codes and we first got a code P0300, which is a "random multiple misfire". Not much to go on. They reset the computer and a couple weeks later the "check engine" light came on again. A code P0303, "plug 3 misfire" popped out of the computer. I checked plug 3 and found nothing wrong. The weird thing is that this afternoon the "check engine" light went out, and has not come on again after about 50 miles of driving.

My son-in-law, a Ford mechanic, had previously told me to run some injector cleaner through the engine because he thought the number 3 injector was clogged. Turned out he was right. I ran Lucas injector cleaner through three tanks of gas and the "check engine" light mysteriously went out this afternoon. This may be of help to you if your "check engine" light comes on again and you get a code P0303.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Junior User

Tom Norman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I checked the #4 and #5 plugs and no fouling was noted.

The "check engine" light came back on today!

Code P0303 was stored. Misfire plug #3. Guess I need to look at that plug too?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
1999, 2003, 46, 64, 73, code, cylinder, expedition, f150, ford, misfire, multiple, p0303, random, trouble