Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Joe, why do you wanna go with full synthetic?

IIRC, you still have the stock trans, right?

Stewart

Old 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe - I flushed mine when I put the 31 row (6.0) cooler on and used about 28 quarts total (flush and fill with the extra volume of the new cooler).

If the Dealer is really going to flush the entire system and then load it back with Synthetic, I think the price is not all that out of line.

It's not a difficult job (just take a littlr time). I'm one of those "skeptics" that want to know a "proper job" is done so I do anyting I think I can do myself.

The other thing is I use working on the EX as "therapy" since I grew up in a garage ( my Dad was a mechanic for over 50 years) and he threatened to break all my knukkles if I became one. It nice to get "dirty" occassionaly.

D

Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM
RobertH
Tuned
XHemi, I have done this procedure several times and pretty much follow the procedure provided by Mark on how this flush works. I think it is around 22 quarts, but you can do as much as you think you need. When I am switching fluids, from Mercon to Mercon V, I used I think 24 or so. If I remember, draining the pan is about 6 or 7 quarts. Then each time after the refill and disconnect, by the time air bubbles come out, I think the bucket I use with measure is about 7 quarts, then I refill. So refill is 3 times for a normal change.

The Mercon V is much better fluid than the Mercon. However, for greatest possible protection, I am thinking of going to the Amsoil Synthetic designed for this tranny next change coming up soon.

For cost between a dealer doing the flush and me doing this, I would much rather do it myself due to lots of idiots that don't follow procedure sometimes. Not necessary at a dealer, but anywhere.

Also, I had my GM truck flushed and they blew the front pump seal out due to the pressure from the transition in their unit. I have heard others in the past think the same thing caused theirs to fail. So no more flushes. Just drain and pump it out with only the power from the tranny pump in a clear hose. No pressure or strain.

Plus, I know I am using a torque wrench on the pan so it does not get distorted and ruin the pan and gasket.

Really, this is an easy change and the cost of fluid and filter vs dealer is not even in my book for consideration. All synthetics are not equal either, so no idea what you will get from the dealer special.

Bottom line, changing the fluid/filter is the right thing to do. You just have to decide if you trust your mechanic or want to choose your own fluids and do it yourself so you know what you have. I also think it is a plus to see and know the condition of your tranny by seeing the debris in the pan and filter which will allow you to determine if you are having any abnormal wear.

The last 2 times changed after switch to Mercon V, the fluid was very clear and still nice and red, and the filter ( I break it apart to inspect the material) was very clean. Also, the pan and magnet had no residue, so the Mercon V is doing a fantastic job!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Joe, why do you wanna go with full synthetic?

IIRC, you still have the stock trans, right?

Stewart
I want full synthetic for the same reason I run full synthetic motor oil...resistance to heat break down...since I mostly tow with my Ex and when I do tow I'm running her HARD in the summer...I want the extra heat protection/break down resistance of the full synthetic.

Yes I still have the stock trans.

I'm headed out west again this summer and will once again tackle the Rockies, Big Horns and Black Hills in JULY...that means high RPMs and potential high trans temps...I like the characteristics of the full synthetic.

I'll question my dealership before doing the flush to make sure I get the right answers.

Joe.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Switching to synthetic on any vehicle with higher mileage can cause leaks. I have seen it.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
I have run full synthetic in the engine and trans since about 20 to 25K miles (don't have my records here with me)...I've now got 50K miles...but your point is well taken...I've heard that this can be the case...I've never experienced it though thankfully!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey Joe,

Since you're doing a tranny flush, may want to consider swapping out that trans cooler to the 31 row cooler. I saw this on ebay. Mighty tempting to bid, but I'm low on funds right now.

Transmission oil cooler for a 2003-2004 Ford SuperDuty - eBay (item 170601459296 end time Feb-16-11 12:26:22 PST)

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
jh,

Thanks for the link...thankfully in the real world towing experiments I've done in the near 25K towing miles all over the country thru some pretty extreme weather and terrain (northern Arizona and southern Utah in June, Rockies in July twice, Big Horns, Black Hills, Appalachians in June/July) the highest trans temps I've seen are basically 100F above outside ambient...so the trans typically runs in the 190's and when pulling steep grades...it can climb up to 208F BUT at that point the fan kicks into what I'll call TURBO mode and the temps quickly drop to 198 before the fan slows down and it will repeat that cycle of TURBO fan on/off to keep temps well in check.

The absolute highest temp I have seen is 213F for a brief moment while climbing Loveland Pass (11,200') in Colorado on I-70...but that was a momentary touch to 213 before dropping quickly once I crested the hill...

I monitor my temps closely with my Aeroforce OBDII digital gauge...great tool!

I think Ford did a great job of cooling the V10 and I think the synthetic trans fluid I am running contributes as well to keeping temps in check...at least I would like to think it does...

Thanks for the link though!

Joe.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
That's what I did and love the new cooler. I bought my cooler off ebay in a similar fashion (new unit w/o orginal packaging). It does take aq couple of hours to install howere and you need the adapters to go from 1/2in to 3/8 hose. Everyting else is bolt in. I also added a filter at the same time.

Makes a huge difference when towing in heat..................................

D

Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TXSailor
That's what I did and love the new cooler...
Makes a huge difference when towing in heat..................................

D
Yeah, for us 7.3 guys, our trans cooler sucks compared to the 6.0 cooler (ebay link) and the V10 trans cooler.

Before the 6.0 came out, 7.3 guys would upgrade to the V10 trans cooler. Once the 6.0 came out, that became the cooler of choice.

Name:  60transcoolervs73andV10.jpg
Views: 8402
Size:  40.6 KB

Stewart

Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Substantial difference between all three of those...with the 6.oH one being king of the rows!!!

So far...my experience has shown that the V10 cooler is sufficient for my applications...but you never know I guess...

Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Okay I heard back from my dealership on my questions on the "flush"

They use a BG FULL Synthetic ATF fluid (here's the website for the fluid) BG Products, Inc. and another article on the fluid http://www.bgprod.com/blendr/syntheticATF.html albeit both are from BG themselves...

They use a "cube" of fluid which includes just a shade over 4 GALLONS for their flush. According to my manual the trans holds approximately 17 quarts. The flush also includes some type of transmission additive from what she could tell me.

They use the approved OEM "flush" machine at the dealership and claim this back flushes the "screen".

Out the door with labor, parts, disposal fees and tax is $210.

So...while I'm sure I could easily do this myself...I'm not sure I can justify the costs associated with buying full synthetic myself and still have to actually do the work...

I'll have it done next week.

Thanks again for the thought process.

Joe.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yeah, for us 7.3 guys, our trans cooler sucks compared to the 6.0 cooler (ebay link) and the V10 trans cooler.

Before the 6.0 came out, 7.3 guys would upgrade to the V10 trans cooler. Once the 6.0 came out, that became the cooler of choice.

Stewart

Is that V10 cooler laying on top of the 99 psd cooler? Or is the psd cooler just that short?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Is that V10 cooler laying on top of the 99 psd cooler? Or is the psd cooler just that short?
Nope....yup!

The 6.0 trans cooler is on the left, the big honking radiator-sized looking thing. On the right, the 7.3 trans cooler is on top and right below it is the V10 trans cooler.

As you can see, put the 7.3 cooler and the V10 together and it's almost as big as the 6.0 cooler.

Stewart

Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Thats interesting. I read about it all the time but never actually seen the coolers next to each other.

Quick Reply: 4R100 Transmission Fluid Change