1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Door panel fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Door panel fasteners

Pretty fired up about finally installing my flamed door panels. They are sculpted foam over stock type repro panels. I bought them and the metal attaching clips from Mid-Fifty years ago. The clips do not look like they will work. The door panel holes seem to be perfectly lined up with the door holes. Meaning I could install them with screws if I wanted too. But that won't look good. I wish I could described the wire clips I have. I am wondering if they are correct. When installed they hook into the hole and offset the mount point by a half inch and that won't work.

Anyone think they can describe a stock panel clip? Or offer an alternative stealth clip that won't hold the panel out from the door very far. My fabric is wrapped around the panel edge, so I could get by with just a little outward placement, but not much at all. I considered wide velcro, but I think the double thickness would cause trouble.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds to me like you have an Auveco clip number 2309 or one very similar to it. They slide in from the back and have the type of off-set you describe. They also make a clip that has the prongs that have to be put in place before you wrap the fabric around but will go straight down from the hole punched in the board. That means that if you made the trim card ti match the holes that are in the door the second clip will drop in place. That clip number is 11406 and is also put out by Auveco.

Gear Up

Old 03-16-2004, 09:30 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Thanks for the info. It's a couple years late to use clips that go on before the fabric. Any options for me now? Are there any nylon style fasteners that might work? I don't need an answer tonight.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Gear Up
Senior User
I may have gotten off too early for your deadline. The trim cards that come on the 80's, 90's and newer have pine cone fasteners that twist in place but you need to have the placement holesright over where the holes are in the door. An oval hole works best in order to start the top of the fastener into the panel. Good luck. I will stop at the local parts house to try and get numbers you can ask for.

Gear Up

Old 03-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Gear Up
Senior User
Located my Auveco catalog and I think the fastener number that would work is 10621. The alternative would be to go to the local Ben Franklin or craft shop and get their high strength velcro and use that to apply the panels. At least then you would be able to remove the panels when need be and not worry about destroying either the panel or the fasteners next time around.
Wish I could be of more help. Velcro is a good way to go but can be spendy. Be sure you get the self adhesive variety.

Gear Up

Old 03-17-2004, 11:02 AM
shortyforty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we got to the point of doing the interior on our 59, I was going to use chrome panel screws. I had some rolls of Velcro I was saving and decided to try that. First time I put way to much on and could hardly get the door panels off to install door speakers later. We used real thin foam between the panel and upholstery, with it folded over, the thickness helped to hide the gap caused by the Velcro.
Also used Velcro to install the headliner and panel trim. It has worked out real well so far. I have seen on one of the auto TV shows, a double hook type of velcro. Only uses one type of strip, as it sticks to itself.

Old 03-17-2004, 05:53 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Thanks Lynn, I would appreciate the P/N if it is something I could fined. I have Velcro but am concerned I will have at least a 1/4" gap I can't conceal. My wife had a very good "Martha Day" when we whipped up these sculpted flamed panels a few years ago. All my friends think I paid big bucks for them and they are the highlight of my interior. I want a clean professional install.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
'fenders,

Based upon your last note on this subject - I guess duct tape is outa the question? It does come in various colours as well as the normal grey/silver. You could use a colour the same as your upholstery in a kinda stealth mode or use a constrasting colour (like mauve) to contrast. What about green to bring out your eyes?

As Red Green says - the handyman's secrect weapon!

He also says - If the women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy. (Jees, i guess Penn Dick is screwed).....

Later,

Last edited by ferguson777; 03-17-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:20 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
GAME - SET - MATCH - Ferguson

Old 03-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

fenders, just one more problem you have not addressed here. You cannot go with the option of the velcro. If you raise the panel, then it will no longer fit your stock shafts on the door handle and window crank. You will need to put in the the aftermarket extended versions. Been there, doon that. So I too vote for getting the correct clips. Is the hole in your panel such that the old/style wire clips with the 90 degree bend will fit? The panel side of the clip was elongated and flat. I used those on my Fairlane. C&G Ford parts in Escondido CA had them. Good luck, John

Last edited by Jag Red 54; 03-18-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:58 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
I was just thinking, If you use screws what would the boy from Ohio (4speed) think? I bet he'd have something to say about it like the grant steering wheel!!!!

Kevin

Old 03-18-2004, 05:44 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
" fenders, just one more problem you have not addressed here. You cannot go with the option of the velcro. If you raise the panel, then it will no longer fit your stock shafts on the door handle and window crank"

John

That comment disappoints me. My handle shafts have been cut, lengthened, re-welded and turned down smooth. I know what you're thinkin John............

"'fenders, I'm amazed, that was sheer genius"

BTW, did I spell genius correctly???

Old 03-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok fenders, I admit it, I am impressed. I thought that I might be one step ahead of you on this one. Wrong. But, when you pulled the shafts out, did you replace the tension springs inside the little shaft retainer compartment? If you did, then that's really impressive. PS: where'd you get those little springs anyway? John

Old 03-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
If you have any of the material left from this project you can sew up a welt cord and glue it around the edge to fill the gap you are afraid of getting. It will give a nice finished look. Had to do that on afew occations.

Gear Up

Old 03-18-2004, 07:26 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

If you will look in the latest Mid Fiftys catalog on page 21 they show two style clips.

The button head is stock and will show, the second one I think is meant to clip over the edge and would line up with the hole but you would have to cut a small slit in your upholstery or if you can undo the roll, install the clips and redo the roll.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Door panel fasteners