1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Steering Question

Old 03-16-2004, 08:27 PM
keporter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Question

I have a '64 F100 stepside. Someone before me installed p.s. and a caddy column. The column bangs against the inside of the frame on sharp turns. I want to try and put it back to what was originally there but don't have a clue to what is original or some other make. What I need is some pics of what and where the steering box mounts, and what the steering pieces look like, so I can determine what is what. I have thought about trying to find one in a junkyard and buying everything, installing it the correct way and replacing the things that need it. Any good pics or sites I could find this at would be appreciated.
Kevin

Old 03-17-2004, 03:51 PM
MadMaxetc
New User
Do you want to go back to stock w/o PS?
if so then:
1) Do you have a 3-speed on the tree or a 4 on the floor?
2) If you have a 3-speed on the tree I might be able to help you out. I am going to be getting rid of my manual steering box an 3-speed column later this year. I would be willing to sell it if you still needed it.

feel free to email me.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:25 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you do indeed need to replace the column. If you only need to see how it is set up, I would check the junkyard or a friend's truck, 1965 - 1979. The frames for all these years (2WD only, now, 4WD are different than 2WD) use the same mounting holes for the gear boxes. The steering boxes are all similar, except that you can tell the difference between power and manual steering.
There are only 3 steering boxes used.
1. A manual steering box.
2. A Bendix power steering box, used only '65 to '69 or '70. this one is the same size as the manual steering box.
3. A Ford PS box, which is a little bigger, and used '67 or '68 up to '79.
I think it is safe to assume you have Ford power box - if not, then you have more work cut out for you. If it looks like it belongs there,and looks like the PS box from another Ford truck, then you should be OK.
If you have the Ford steering box, then your easiest fix is to use a Ford truck power steering column.
Can you post a pic of your steering box?
Actually, if you think you are going to need to replace a lot, it would be far better to buy a rusted out truck for parts. If you can get one on E-bay with the same engine and transmission, you are in luck.

Last edited by banjopicker66; 03-17-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:06 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keporter: I owe you an apology. You are going to have to disregard everything I said, because I didn't read your post thoroughly enough.
Unfortunately, I thought you had a '65. 1964 and earlier trucks have a completely different suspension and steering. 1965 and later trucks have Twin I-beams instead of the single front axle.
I apologize if I got your hopes up, or mislead you.
Now, there is a very remote chance you could still use '65 and up information.
Some late model '64 trucks were actually '65s, depending on when they were titled. It will depend on what front axle you have. If it is a single axle, then your truck is a genuine '64. If it has the Twin I-beam suspension, then you are in luck, and can use '65 to '79 parts.
One final possibility: Some folks have found success in cutting the entire front axle off, and welding on a Mustang II front end or an Aerostar front end. There are other possibilities.
Good luck, and again, I apologize.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:25 PM
keporter
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking about trying to keep it ps. It now has a auto in it with column shifter. Just trying to get some ideas to make it a little easier to fix. I hate guessing about who put what parts on where from what make and year. I try to write down everything I do so next time it's simpler to fix.
Thank You again, Kevin

Old 06-03-2004, 06:21 PM
jeff goldberg
New User
i have a 64 f-100 and was told that up through 76 the frame was the same including the bolt pattern. Can anyone verify this?Straight axel.(Single axel)Looking to convert to P/S Thanks

Old 06-04-2004, 08:45 PM
jeff goldberg
New User
Tyring to rebuild 63 Re-circulating type steering box

Does any one know the name and or part # for the small bearing that goes at the end of the steering Worm shaft in the Re-Circulating Ball Type steering box of a manual steering 1963
f-100.In the manual I have it calls it the lower bearing.And if i can find this part does it just sit down there at the end of the shaft in the box or is it pressed in?When i took it apart it was just sitting down there in the grease.And a few of the ball bearings had fallen out.I think this is most of my troubles with the steering on this truck. The rest of the box is pretty tight.There does seem to be some kind of race in the box on the pitman arm side where the sector shaft exits the box. And I think I might as well replace that while im in there.Does anyone know how I can safely remove and install a new one.Oh and a couple more things things.When reinstalling the Sector Shaft in the box where should the steering wheel position be and how should the gears from the sector shaft line up with the gears on the Ball Nut.And how do you know when the end of the shaft is tight enough in that lower bearing. Any help would be great. Thanks Jeff Goldberg

Old 06-07-2004, 06:07 PM
jeff goldberg
New User
Smile I found the part.

I found the Lower Worm Shaft Race and Bearing for the 1963 manual steering box I have and have decided to stick with the armstrong for now.The parts are in the mail and i'm hoping there the right ones.So now I ask of you that know.My steering box has what looks like a freeze plug in the bottom of it. And just on the other side of that plug inside the box is the lower Race and Bearing i'm going to replace.How does that plug and Race come out. And what is the method to reinstall the Race. Thanks .