1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Leak & Upgrading a 97 PS

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:12 PM
bigskygyd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Leak & Upgrading a 97 PS

I'm new to this list but in going through the Forums can see it's a huge help for the mechanically challenged like me!
My 97 Power Stroke just came back from the dealer to get a fuel leak fixed and the glow plug sensor replaced. $1098.00! Man that hurts! They alleged the "fuel pump" and "fuel filter canister" were both leaking. There had been a pretty good puddle of fuel under the truck for the last few mornings. The bill shows the "fuel pump", fuel filter, and fuel hoses as having been replaced. Did I get taken on this? Can someone with moderate mechanical skills do these repairs?
Secondly, my truck (a Crew Cab F-250 4x4) has 105K miles on it. I service it religiously. The OEM suspension is totally shot (I kind of think it was after about 40K miles) and I'm thinking about putting a full Superlift 4" suspension in it with dual front shocks. I also want to put a Banks performance package in it. Is the mileage too high to make all this worthwile? Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for any help.

Old 03-16-2004, 05:41 PM
stroker393
Senior User
A '97 with only 105,000 miles; it's not even broke in good. My '95 has 181,000 miles and running strong. I just repaired a fuel leak I had in the same engine area. Replaced fuel pump ($89), metal fuel line with rubber tube seals and metal orings ($62), removed fuel bowl to check for cracks (none) and replaced all non-pressure rubber fuel hoses with new fuel filter. No big deal and no special tools required; a back yard mechanic with patience and attention to detail could complete it with no problem.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:30 PM
bender97f250
Senior User
Go for Banks, your mileage is not an issue. I have purchased several upgrades from Banks and I must say I am very pleased. A little more money but well worth it. www.bankspower.com. BEWARE,once you start modding-you cant stop!