I like my V-6

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 10:16 PM
JAMESBARBER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I like my V-6

Hello to all. This will be my first vehicle forum to be a part of. I have gotten numerous info and ideas from all of you guys. I have a 99 f150 4.2 manuel 5 speed. I want to get a k-n intake filter setup but am a little apprehensive. I would also like to get a catback exhaust but i am still searching for the right one. In the end I would love to get a chip/tuner when money is right. Btw if any one else has a manual with no tach just hold odometer button as you start it up and aprox 10 sec. Some funny looking things will be happening. Dont fret, scroll through a couple of them and you will see the onboard digital tach. My truck idles around 900-850 rpm. I went through all gears given them hell and never broke 2800. Redline should be around 6000. It is nice to know where it stands. Sometimes when I am pushing on third I get a little pucker factor going, now there is no need to even sweat about it.

skin it back and hang it low JHB

Old 03-14-2004, 12:36 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Glad to have you hear! Welcome to FTE!

Yes, we luv the odometer trick here!

BTW, our redline is at 5500 RPM's exactly if you were interested. Please, feel welcome to share any questions you might have with us. If I were you, I'd buy a MAC Intake system instead of just the K&N Filter. It works a whole lot better.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:39 AM
4.2W/GEARS
Freshman User
I LIKE MY 4.2 TOO

This is also my first forum and its good to see all the positive input and knowledge provided by the members.

I think the 4.2 v6 is great and the 5 speed makes it better, but...
Does the trans loosen up so shifting is not only smoother but faster? I have 2k miles on my 03 and the trans is the only bummer. I would like a closer shift pattern but hesitate in any dreams because I think there is something wrong with it and I am concerned with warranty issues.

How is your shifting ? Can you run through the gears easy?

Old 03-16-2004, 09:12 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Nope, that's our trusty M5OD transmission. (Mazda 5 Speed/Overdrive) I can't stand them myself. The shifting isn't very smooth IMO, but that's just me. Trust me, you more than likely have a normal tranny with nothing wrong...the 5 speed just isn't as smooth as we like.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:07 AM
4.2W/GEARS
Freshman User
OH WELL, Years of this?
I posted a down shift thread concern in transmissions "Does it get any better?" about first gear not engaging till you get below 10mph. and got a response from member saying dont downshift untill 5 mph.

My feeling is any down shift to yeild 1500 to 2500 rpm, even first gear is fine to get it into the power range. I can downshift to 2nd or 3rd with no resistance and feels ok. If i downshift into 2nd gear going 10mph the rpm dogs down to around 800 rpm.

I do appreciate forum responses on all topics and I know an f150 is big difference from any manual rides from the past. I may have to accept and adapt.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:44 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Well, as far as downshifting goes, it really depends on you. If you downshift from 2nd to 1st, I would be sure to be at least 10 mph or lower. Any higher than that and you can kiss your synchros good-bye. As far as second, you can downshift into 2nd at 40 MPH if you really want to accelerate and it won't hurt if you don't do it all the time. 3rd gear goes to about 85 MPH max. To be safe, stay in 2nd gear if you are at 10 MPH.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:07 PM
4.2W/GEARS
Freshman User
I do agree
When down shifting from any gear it is usually in prep for take of again , either from a stop or on freeway driving with some stop and go. I feel the limitations of the transmission and never force or slam it into gear (I may have sounded a little off at first).

I think its because I have a v6 now and I think I need to keep the revs up for power. I had v8's behing my other gears maybee I should stop thinking my f150 has the same trany and try not to fight it so much.

Thanks for your replies true4.2 , I am just gonna calm down a little.

I would however like to upgrade my shifter, Hmmm Hurst T Handle fits real nice. What do you think??

Old 03-17-2004, 09:40 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
The is a Hurst short throw shifter that you could look into getting.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Ah that clears it up for me as well. I thought there was something wrong with my Auto trans because once it shifts into 2nd, it won't shift back down into first if I floor it. Even if by shifting back down to first, my RPM's would only be 3000, it still wont down shift back to first. I hate that.

If i pull out slowly from a light, the auto trans will shift into second relatively quickly, then if I need power all of a sudden, and punch it, the freakin thing will just bog out and wont shift back down into first. I tried even manually shifting it down to first but it wont go.

I thought there was something wrong with it and posted a thread about this before. But now I know it's the same thing with the manual trans. Once you shift into second, your screwed if you suddenly need power and need to shift back down into first to get it.

Tom

Old 03-18-2004, 03:04 PM
4.2W/GEARS
Freshman User
The only gripe I have is that if you coast in neutral and your anywhere between 10 and 13 mph you cant put it into 1st gear that would have an rpm of around 1200 to 1500 and that's going to screw up the syncros ??? If I put it into 2nd it takes it down to aroung 1000 rpm.

Man that's doggin it if you need to move quickly.

I know I will get into a situation in traffic where I will smoke the clutch just to get the hell out of the way.

I think the m5od does lack in that area as well as others.

But I dig my truck regardless.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:06 AM
JAMESBARBER
New User
M5OD

The M5OD is not the best as alot of you claim. I just changed the fluid in mine yesterday with 72000 miles on it. The fluid that came out of it was the darkest purple without being black.. You all may say why????? Well for one thing I am a mechanic and the other thing is that I like to take care of my ride no matter what it is. It will take a little time for the new fluid to heat up and do its job but I can allready feel the differance. Before when I shifted from 1-2 I would feel more friction than when it was new. 2-3 was cool and 3-4 was cool. 4-5 on the other hand was also stiff. These differences may be in my head but I sure do feel better about it.

Here is a little ifo for you all. I you are o a tight budget or just dont ave the right equipement I have a cool little idea on how to fill you tranny up with just the plastic bottle the fluid comes in and a pen. 1. take the pen a pull out the ink tube 2. hold the pen tube and heat up the middle of it slowly and bend it into a right angle 3. now with a phillips screwdriver just smaller than the pen tube punch a hole into the cap on top of the quart size atf bottle 4. now take the pen tube and twist one end "hopefully one will be tapered" into the bottle 5. now when you are ready to fill your tranny up you can squeeze the bottle and tilt it as you go to allow positive flow from the bottle--you will end up with some left in the bottle but you can pour it in the next one to top it off...........btw ford say's 3.5 quarts mine took 3.75 quarts

jhb

Old 03-20-2004, 07:42 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
James,
Been there, done that.
Give this a try:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=204532

Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
fish98f250
Freshman User
Have any of you guys tried to rev match to get the transmission to shift into first. I've driven cars with tired synchros that have required you to rev the engine to the rpm it should be running at that speed in that gear to get them to go into gear. In those cases it's just been a matter of feel, not something you can just force. Just my .02.

Last edited by fish98f250; 06-16-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:05 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have ya'll forgotten you are driving a truck instead of a Mustang? If you wanted a smooth firm shift,you should have bought a Mustang! Its a truck with a truck transmission! You're stuck with it; accept it!

Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Pretty nicely worded there my friend, as you said trucks are trucks: cars are cars--there is a major difference in shifting gears, cars are easier to shift, trucks are harder. I recommend dropping a mustang gt engine into ur truck if you want the smooth shifting LOL