General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Apple itunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 06:56 AM
billsco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple itunes

Can anyone tell me about Apple's itunes? My understanding is that you can download music for a price, something I'm very willing to do. I've avoided the free music swapping/sharing sites because I haven't felt right about it, along with the music industry's prosecution of Napster users for instance, so I know absolutely nothing about how it works.

Do I need to buy an ipod before I can do this? Or can I download to my computer?

I want to compile a CD of my favorite songs and blissfully listen to them when I want. I'd appreciate any info you have, especially from the ground floor up.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know you can download the music to your Windows based PC as well as a Mac. Just go to www.itunes.com and you can download any song for 99c I believe. Happy downloading!

-Matt

Old 03-13-2004, 01:59 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Cool Itunes

I download tunes from Itunes every day and play it on my computer it is very easy todo Check it out let me know how you made out.

Old 03-13-2004, 05:45 PM
1BigExpy
Senior User
Itunes is a great way to get the music you want. No monthly fee is involved. Just sign up with a credit card that they can charge when you pick a song. Find a song you like and download it for a buck. Get a bunch and make yourself a CD. I actually signed up just last night. Very easy and a good selection of 80's rock.

Old 03-13-2004, 05:59 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Cool Itunes

Also if you deink Pepsi on the 20oz bottles they have a promo that if you have a code you can get free tunes on Itunes. They allow 20 free tunes and it ends 4/30/1004 Good luck I got 14 free ones already.

Old 03-13-2004, 06:50 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
I love itunes, had it a few months. You don't need an ipod either, it saves your songs in your itunes library. Songs are 99 cents, or you can buy the whole album for less than retail. It takes a while to download if you have dialup though, but since I got DSL I've been able to DL songs in a few seconds.

I'd recommend it over most of the other music sites out there. Also you can use a card or checking account for billing.

Old 03-14-2004, 07:27 AM
4poco
Freshman User
As i understand, itunes and napster will let you download for a price. But...... The music is in a wma format. that means you can play them on your computer with windows media player. But you cannot burn them to a cd and listen in your car. Only on the machine you downloaded too. As in a mp3 format can be downloaded ,burned and saved. Then can create a audio cd for your car in what they call cda format. I have a website that is for audio editing, music from i tunes or napster will not work on it because of copyright protect. So if your happy with just playing music on your computer, fine. This is what i understand about itunes, I stand corrected if this is wrong. Found some great editing software tho, Cheap www.rocknaudio.com

Old 03-14-2004, 10:54 AM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
I've burned several CDs off itunes and play them in the truck. They work with any CD player so far. I don't know about Napster though.
Also on itunes you can put CDs in your drive and import songs to your library, then burn them again with your DL'd songs on mix CDs.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:04 AM
FireHazard
Senior User
2Bowers i don't know how you pulled that off because with the way they set up itunes with the copyright protect on the songs you are not suspose to be able to burn them. The only thing that itunes will let you do is tranfer the song on 3 different computers within your home. The reason for this is each computer gets a certain id # and that is how itunes reconizes you. So in short itunes is good if you want to have legal song on your computer to listen to its great to burn it is usless. My .02 tho

Old 03-14-2004, 11:05 AM
4poco
Freshman User
ok....... i stand corrected ! should had kept my mouth shut

Old 03-14-2004, 11:24 AM
billsco
Elder User
Why would you buy them then? I mean for a buck apiece they should be yours to do as you see fit. I'd like to do more than just listen to them on my puter. That's like buying a CD at Best Buy and being limited to listening to it in the store IMO.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:33 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Cool Itunes

Has anybody gotten free tunes with there Pepsi bottle caps?

Old 03-14-2004, 11:36 AM
FireHazard
Senior User
billco, if you have a ipod you can put them on there too, you just can't burn them!

Old 03-14-2004, 11:42 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Cool Itunes

There is software out there that will let you burn your tune from Itunes. Also drop Itunes a email and they will help you they are great in getting back to you.

Last edited by sglaine; 03-14-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:04 PM
4poco
Freshman User
The only way I have found around this issue is to play your music file with windows media player and open audio editor and record through speaker output. Then save as mp3 format. Works quite well i must say !

Quick Reply: Apple itunes