Notices

installing gages, need help please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 10:00 PM
forddytube
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installing gages, need help please?

hi, i am installing new gages on my torino and i need to know if there is something i should know before i start doing this,
i noticed that the factory temp sender has two terminals on it with a matching plug and the the new gage i got just has one terminal from the sender wrapped in something that looks like a spring that goes all the way to the gage with no plug.
is it ok to switch from an electrical temp gage to a manual one or ??
thank you.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:12 AM
forddytube
Elder User
somebody!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 08:00 PM
buck96
Freshman User
If the gage came with a new sending unit with a single wire from the engine to the gage is most likely because the original factory cluster used the second wire as a temp light input on the cluster or a ground due to thread sealer on the thread into coolant port. I would think that the add on gage kit gets its ground thru the sensor and it only needs 1 wire to work the gage, should be in your instruction with the kit or contact the maker of the kit. The spring is probably for protection if its wire. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 AM
forddytube
Elder User
thanks buck96, i have the instructions and they say i should find out if changing from electric to manual will hurt stuff on my car, so i gues that for some applications the change will screew with other stuff. anyway mine is a 69 torino.
thanks.