Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-in on Excursion Stereo?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM
mhodgson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Les, would you consider some additional questions....albeit four years later!? I have the same scenario as you with out the factory DVD and have the FRD03 kit....but cant seem to figure out how to USE it...have the CD-6 IN dash changer and cant seem to figure out how to get things to work....

You may email me if you like....

tastes81560@mypacks.net

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM
dunerunner25
Senior User
Hey I have been wondering just how do you take the head unit out of the EX. I see 4 small holes, two on each side of the unit. If I stuck wires down in those holes will it release the 6 disk head unit??? or how much for a head unit extractor??? Kinda confused on what to do... I want to install the single AUX unit. TKS!!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Dunerunner: The removal tools are worth a little change. Mine came free from Crutchfields with my order. Probably available at a local car audio place for next to nothing, but it'd probably be a real pain to try to do it with coathangers or some other makeshift device. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

TO ALL: Just installed an inline FM Modulator from Crutchfields in my 05 EX with the 6 disc changer and factory DVD. Wanted to run my MP3 player without giving up any current functions, and without spending a fortune. I contacted some of the other vendors mentioned in this post and others. Not sure which it was, but the vendor everyone referred me to in a post a few months ago told me their product wouldn't work in my application. No doubt some of you got it to work, but I'm not wanting to become an expert in reconfiguring car audio.

I called Crutchfields, and told them what I was doing. The modulator I got was somewhere around $30-40. It installs behind the dash, with the antenna cable running through it, so it gets a really strong signal. Wire it into the stereo power wire and you don't have to install the crappy on-off switch that came with it. I drilled out a hole in the little cubby on the dash for the cable to come out neatly. $40, less than an hour, and I get great sound. Gotta crank up the volume more than I did with a CD running, but the sound's good enough for me. WAY BETTER than those wireless modulators, no searching for a good station, then trying to find another one a few miles down the road.

If you're not an audiophile, but want to get rid of your big CD case and run your factory system, this might be a good alternative.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
dunerunner25
Senior User
Thanks for the info Huskey44!!! That sounds great. I found it on line but one question. Where and how do you get to the stereo power wire?? What color is the wire??

Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Husky44
Senior User
I had the same question--it's not near as simple as finding the red and black wires!

When you order from Crutchfield, they'll send you pretty detailed directions on the install. They didn't show the power and ground on my radio harness, so I called them, and they talked me through based on the schematics in their database.

If I sound like a walking advertisement for Crutchfield, it's because their customer service is awesome, both before and after the sale.