West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Where oh where did we all go???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Crazz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the chapter Pmasley, hopefully everyone will wake soon and start posting ;p
i recently moved to PA. but will be coming to the meet. guess me and Dave will have to go hang out at the L J again lol

had a great time

Old 07-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pmasley welcome to FTE, where is Crab Orchard? I am glad to see another diesel in here.
Richard how are you doin?
I saw outlawWV the other day in his Peterbuilt large car on the side of the road, stopped and said howdy to him face to face.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Crazz
Senior User
Dave im doing great, putting in my hours at work, then coming home and putting in a few more. trying to get the property cleaned up and looking good.
how you and the family ?

Old 08-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Everyone is fine, we are covered up with work.
Been working on the truck some, have my Dana 60 in now as well as new springs with extra leaves and new shakles on the front axle.
I also have propane injection on in the trial stages.
I think I am going to order a frame mount tank and keep the propane.
It looks like it will help my mileage considerably if I can keep my foot out of it.
That is hard to do though.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 08-06-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Grandpa's1983
Senior User
Hello Mountaineers,
I now live in South Carolina, but am originally from the northern panhandle. I came
south for the steady work but in the fall I get real homesick for high school football
and autumn leaves. I thought I would stop in and say hello to everybody, I check in
the group evey once in a while to see if theres any news from home. I have found
that us Mountaineers are a little anti-social, we would rather be in the woods than in
a group of people. Thats probably why the WV forum is a little slow in getting posts.
Lewie

Old 09-16-2005, 12:19 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave:

Sorry about not replying quick enough.

Crab Orchard is located two miles east of Beckley on SR 16. We are just west of the great "Sophia Speed Trap."

The '01 is my first diesel. It has proven to be a great surpirse. I had never driven one before I bought this one. I have not been able to get use to those first three gears (not the super low gear). I want to tach them out too much, but once I get it into 4th, and OD, I am gone.

I have not started tweaking on it yet. Still working on the bugs that the previous owner did to it. Guess I will have to spend one weekend and do several at once.

Is there going to be an informal get-together?

I know of one member in Charleston. We have passed a few messages. Was just wondering if there are any in or around Beckley?

Old 09-16-2005, 01:57 PM
mightypan42
Senior User
Originally Posted by pmasley
Is there going to be an informal get-together?

I know of one member in Charleston. We have passed a few messages. Was just wondering if there are any in or around Beckley?
I might be up for one, depending on when it is.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

We had one last year in the spring.
Mike (Fitter), Rod (5labs),and myself were the only ones from WV.
Michelle (F350woman) and her husband from Georgia also stopped in for the fun and food.
Looks like this year is not getting much response in that department.
Burnsville Lake was where we had it last year, seems to be about central to all of us unless someone was coming from the eastern panhandle.

We tried to have one in the fall, but Richard (Crazz) and I were all alone for that one. We just meet at Long John Silvers for some fish and chips and BS in Weston.

If I get my truck fixed soon I will be up for another one most any time. (It would look bad if I came to an FTE meeting in my wifes Buick)
I usually don't work on Saturdays, and almost never on Sundays unless you count around the house.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:34 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Dave:

How many WV members are listed?

A weekend is probably better. May have a better outcome. I would like the meet the members.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Crazz
Senior User
im ready for another meet, even no i live in PA. it would have to be a sunday for me, i work 6days a week at the shop and 7days a week at home lol

Dave whats new with the engine ?

Old 09-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I don't know if I told you they sent me a long block under warranty, I pulled the heads off before it was installed in my truck. The sleeves were dropped in the block several thousandths and one head had cracks between the intake and exhaust valves in every cylinder.

I called them back and said I would not install this or any other motor from their company in my truck without double the original warranty plus loaner coverage while it was broke.

So they said we will buy you out.
I said, Fine, send me 6600 dollars and a good core.
They offered 3600.
I said you are out of your minds.

Well the last offer was for 3800 (the price of a long block since my fuel system warranty is out), a new turbo since mine has had antifreeze through it and 1200 for a core charge since I do not have a good core and the shop charges paid for the removal and replace of the engine.

So I think I am going to take that offer just to get my truck back.
I can get an engine from another place that has several referals from the guys up in the diesel forum for about a grand more plus shipping from Vancouver BC.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Dave, exactly how long have you been without your truck dealing with these idiots. I would think that they owe you some time for that too.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:24 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Dave, Have you gone smokeless yet or are you still down? I have not seen any post about what you have done about the engine problem! Where does it stand?

Rod

Old 10-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

We are at a stand still, I have contacted the Attorney General and they are interested in the case.

I have been driving an 84 Dodge D350 Power Waggon 4x4 with a gas 360 in it.
Not to worry, it is a company truck so they are paying the considerable gas bill it racks up driving all over the state to our different jobsites.

God gasoline stinks. It stinks even worse after you burn it.
It has been so long since I drove a gas vehicle, I keep looking for more gears, The motor sounds like it is ready to explode from over reving.

I have been down for 8 weeks yesterday.

I have even considered buying a second truck to drive till mine is fixed.
Snow season is just around the corner and my truck is broke, not good.
The only thing I can not figure out is why there are no used Ford diesels for sale, not one in the local area. Tons of Chevy and Dodge units, but no Fords at all.