multiple trailer towing

Old 03-10-2004, 07:53 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
multiple trailer towing

Ok, here's one for those who know the law, what if any legal trouble would I have in towing either a single car trailer with a tow dolly, or two single car trailers? I know I would have to use safety chains and all that, but is it something that is likely to get me stopped, or can I get away with it as long as everything looks kosher? I know that there are plenty of campers and boats towed this way, and the double trailers on the big rigs are legal, sometimes to triple, just was wondering if it is different on the smaller vehicles due to brakes and such. The tow rig, by the way, is my 86 250 with a 6.9 diesel 4speed, 410 gears. I have no concerns as to whether the truck can handle it, just want to avoid any legal troubles. I have to move a number of vehicles from my prior residence in South Dakota to my current residence in Missouri, but the main concern is South Dakota and Iowa, as I only have to worry about 15 miles in Missouri. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 03-10-2004, 10:47 AM
charlez
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably have to check the individual states. I know some allow it if the first trailer is a 5th Wheel. Here's some info:

IOWA DOT
South Dakota DOT

Old 03-10-2004, 12:28 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You may have to have either a CDL or a different classified drivers license to be able to drive the vehicle with multiple trailers. Check with the local DMV or DOT to see what type of license you will need as well. Be sure you are under your GCWR as well.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Personally, I wouldnt trust anyone towing multiple trailers w/o a CDL and a Class A rig. I would check with the State Patrol on that one.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:36 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Well, I don't trust most of the drivers on the road, but it is called defensive driving, and does the fact that I grew up around cdl drivers and heavy rigs mean anything to you? By the way, both South Dakota and Iowa apparently are ok with it, because both permit it,with guidelines of course... Also, I see many camper trailers towing boats behind them, I just wanted to be sure about weight and size requirements. Also, a CDL doesn't guarantee the driver has a brain, because unfortunately about any monkey can drive a truck today, and the professionalism of the trade is being lost. Not to mention all the idiot non cdl drivers that think they need to hurry up and get in front of that big rig therefore causing the heavy to have to brake hard, and therefore cause even more trouble, if not a wreck. I have hauled trailers for years, may not have the official cdl, but have had more seat time than a good number of the OTR jocks out there, and know how the idiots are, have to be in front of any rig that may have the appearance of inconvieniencing them.

Last edited by fellro86; 03-10-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
You didnt have to get angry, and I stand by my opinion on the matter.
Single trailer hauling is one thing, multiple is a completely different story.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:12 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I agree not everyone should try it, and the need for being properly equipped is important, but a cdl is no guarantee of safe driver/equipment, that is my point. I have seen tandem 48' being hauled by a class a cdl driver, and the state of South Dakota considers this safe, but only on certain highways. I ran multiple farm wagons as a kid, mind you yes, it is slower, but still risky as well, and that is legal. You came across quite negative, and could have stated it a bit different, as I did take offense to it, even if it was not intended to be offensive. If the equipment is safe and to the law, it is safe. There are many vehicles out there with no trailer that are much more unsafe than my rig, but the worst danger is that you can't see them coming. At least with my rig, you can see that caution may be merited, but that's the case of every vehicle you pass, caution merited. My weight and length won't be as much as the heavies already on the road. I'm not certain I will be doing it this way, and would rather not have to, but will if necessary. I myself prefer single trailers to multiple, as backing does not exist with multiples, so I have to be damn sure not to get blocked or in any situation that requires it. i guess it comes to this, I tell you that your rig is unsafe just because you are doing something to it that I may not like, but you have checked out and possibly have some ideas that I don't agree with, how would you respond, now had you presented details as to why it isn't, not just blatantly make an opinion, I might not take offense to it, because it isn't an opinion but an informed answer. It's all in how you say it, meanings change in the presentation.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:30 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I took his comment to mean not towing it without proper license. I don't see any opinionated comment in that either. Regardless of how much experience you might have, the highway patrol does not know this without you possessing a CDL. These so called idiots with CDL's do have training and have passed operator tests, etc. to get the license. I agree with you that it doesn't make them the best drivers on the road by any means. It just means that from a liability stand point, the highway patrol knows that they have been trained to drive such rigs, whether they are good at it or not. To be legal, you will most likely need a CDL, and be within gross combined weight for your truck. Not trying to start a flame war here, I'm just saying that experience doesn't matter to the officer who might pull you over.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Reread my first post. I merely stated my opinion on the matter, and I am entitled to do that. That is what I believe, and I stand by it. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I may not agree with your opinion, but I respect it nonetheless.

Since Class C drivers are not instructed in Trailer Towing (State of Washington), I cant know how experienced they really are. When I was in Drivers Ed, all we were taught was how to pass a truck and trailer, and that was about it. I felt the course didnt cover enough, and because of that, I drive defensively.

A CDL driver at least has school experience, and the ones I have worked with were all great drivers. But, that may not always be the case. I didnt attack you or anyone in any way, I didnt accuse anyone of being wreckless or irresponsible.

Now, around here, the only tandem trailers I have seen are 2 short Class A semi trailers. I have never seen a class C or B vehicle even attempt it. And I would never want to back-up in a tandem trailer rig. I would prefer one really big trailer, or like I've done in the past, make 2 trips.

Laws - As we all know, each state has a different law and methods of driving. If you live in a rural area, then you have a lot more freedom of choice when it comes to towing setups, and the law is a lot more relaxed, to a degree. I live in western Washington where I live in a semi-urban area. I travel a lot and have to deal with horrible traffic, especially in the Seattle area. I have hauled trailers through this traffic, and I know from experience a single trailer is bad enough, a tandem is a different story.

Some other people have said that I had a "tone", but I assure you, I dont. I just take trailer safety very seriously. I was injured in a MVA and I dont want anyone having to go through the same ordeal I have been through.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:52 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Argueing aside, I would recommend finding a 2-car trailer to tow the cars, or make 2 trips, or haul one car on a trailer and have someone else drive the other one, or rent a moving van or other pickup truck to tow the second trailer. Any of these would be alot easier, less complicated and safer than pulling double car haulers.

In any event, if you do haul doubles, hook up the heaviest one first and make sure the brakes are working on both of them and your controller is able to activate all of them. You may need to put your trailer light wiring on relays so the extra lights dont overload your truck's wiring if you don't already have them wired that way. Also, if it were me, I would want sway control on both hitch setups and functioning breakaway brake setup on both trailers as well as good tires on both trailers and the truck. A blowout with this combination could be a real disaster.

Although you don't doubt that your truck can do the task, it is advisable to wiegh both loaded trailers and the truck, add it all up and see if that puts you over the GCWR of your truck as equipped. Also, check the GVWR's of the trailers and see that they are not loaded beyond thier ratings, keeping in mind that the first trailer will also have to carry the tongue weight of the second trailer.

I'm not sure what you have done so far about the hitch on the back of the first trailer. I guess you are custom making it? As for the legality of it, I guess you have already checked into it by now with each state's DOT?

Old 03-11-2004, 11:28 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
I apologize for taking offense when I shouldn't have, and thanks for the detailed reasons. I will probably make a single run, and then finish the old horse trailer I am reworking for a 2 car before going to town on huling. I never was totally comfortable with the idea, and the more I look at it, the less I really like it. I just wanted to get 2 of the vehicles back here by the 20th, and I don't have the time and resources to get the 2 car done by that time. It is pretty expensive to make single runs, as it is a 9 hour drive one way. I have respect for the majority of the heavy drivers out there, and it is too bad that there are a few that make everyone else look bad. I have way less respect for the average 4wheel vehicle because it is fairly consistent that I can count on them to pull out in front of me with the rig or pass unsafely. For that reason, I really didn't want multiples, because wrestling with the rig may be too much when some idiot pulls out in front of me and have to hammer the brakes. It was an option I was exploring, but appears to be too much risk with the load. Weight wise, I was expecting to be about 16,000 (6000 truck, 7000 first trailer, 3000 rear tow dolly and vehicle.) Too many things can go wrong, and too much attention may be placed on my rig in the wrong way. Yes, I check the laws, and Iowa actually was less restrictive than South Dakota, and the traffic is typically heavier on I-80 than I-90. By their laws, I can register the weight, and it will be covered. I'm sure it is different on the coast, but like you say, this is more rural and therefore more lenient. Should I get into an accident though, I'm sure that it would be bad news all the way around. Thanks for the info all, and the advice and opinions.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:58 PM
V10DoubleTow
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow! These are long posts that strayed from the subject! Back to your original question:

Ok, here's one for those who know the law, what if any legal trouble would I have in towing either a single car trailer with a tow dolly, or two single car trailers?

Depends on the individual state. Every state is different, and I doubt that many will be very lenient if you break their laws. The only safe and legal way to do this is to check and comply with the laws of each state you plan to tow in.

CA requires a CDL plus a doubles endorsement which requires a separate test just for doubles. So even if you have a CDL here, if you don't have the doubles endorsement, you're not legal to pull doubles.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:04 AM
red_rocket
Senior User
If the states will allow it, then by all means go for it. I know in some states you need to just get a non commercial doubles permit. In others you might need a cdl. pulling doubles or tripples is like any thing else, it's only as safe as you make it. BTW, just because someone has a cdl, doesn't prove squat about driving ability. When I got mine, I just walked in, and spend 2 hours at the computer screen(taking the 8 tests) and then walked out with my permit. No school, no classes, nothing. Then onto the road test.

BTW, when I took the doubles/tripples test, it was only 6 questions. All they cover is the crack the whip effect applification, and hooking up air lines.

Old 03-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
We have schools that teach CDL drivers here. I think it takes something like 6 mos.

Old 03-12-2004, 08:37 PM
04superduty
Elder User
I thaught you couldnt tow tandems if the first used a hitch ball set up. The first had to be a fifth wheel/gooseneck, or pintle hitch. Something about a hitch ball not being as strong.