1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brakes on 57

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:33 PM
whitecoug
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes on 57

Hey all, I got a 57 with a brake problem. 1st off, when I brake, it always wants to pull HARD to the left. What could be causing this?? Maybe the passenger side front not working?? And second, I seem to loose all my brake fluid within a day of filling up the tank (booster?) While this generally happens all the time, sometimes it will not be gone if I had pulled a wagon or something heavy the day before...odd. But I can't see any signs of leaking anywhere, like from the insides of the wheels and all the lines look ok to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Joe

Old 03-09-2004, 07:55 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The right side wheel cyl is not working, pull the wheel and drum and inspect. If you were losing fluid thru that cyl, it would also make it pull. Chances are it's a bad cyl that causing the pull.
As for the fluid disappearing, I'd check all the wheels and also your rubber hoses and steel lines. You may have a pin hole somewhere. Look for wet spots on the frame or body. Your M/C could be leaking out the back by the piston rod. If you have a separate booster under the frame, look there. It could be sucking it past a blown diaphram in the booster into the vac system. if that was the case, I'd think you'd see evidence coming out the exhaust as blue smoke.

Barry

Old 03-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
....and certainly check your left wheel cylinder too. If that has a leak (which is possible since you don't always loose fluid), it will coat the brake lining creating extra drag and will pull to the left.

Just spring for 2 new front cylinders or better yet, do all 4 while you're at it. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:18 AM
whitecoug
New User
Thanks for the ideas. I'll hopefully be checking it out soon, once it gets warmed up. Hopefully that'll do the trick. It's kind of a pain when you take off and forget to check the brake fluid and come over a hill and you have now brakes. Only done it a couple of times!!

Old 03-10-2004, 06:36 AM
billsco
Elder User
Are the wheel cylinders the same front and rear?

Old 03-10-2004, 06:40 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The F-100 had 1-1/16" on front and 7/8" on the rears for wheel cyls.

Barry

Old 03-10-2004, 07:17 AM
billsco
Elder User
Okay, thanks Barry.