2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Favorite Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:37 PM
dusty1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Your Favorite Oil Filter

Armed with all the stories from this forum on the difficulty of changing the oil filter, I took the plunge today. I had two different oil wrenches on hand. The first was the type with the rubber inner band with a metal outer band that tightens as you turn it, and the second was one of the plastic ones that go on the end of the filter.

And the winner was...both! I needed to use both to get the job done. (Forgot to mention, I removed it from under the truck)

There isn't much room to work in there, but I was able to get the band clamp round the filter and had about 1" of clearance to actually move the clamp handle. I deformed the filter slightly with this clamp, but eventually the filter loosened to the point where I could take it off the rest of the way with the plastic filter-end wrench. This made the filter removal much quicker. The plastic one just doesn't have the strength to loosen the filter by itself. In fact, I nearly rounded the 3/8" drive hole with the ratchet. (I used a 3" extension on the ratchet, by the way)

As I loosened the filter, I could feel the rubber gasket sqeaking, so it's my guess that Ford doesn't put any oil on the gasket before they install it.

It took about 30 minutes to replace the filter, start to finish including cleanup. I only have 500 miles on the engine, so I didn't do a full oil change--I only replaced the filter and what little oil I lost. The dealer offered to do my first oil change for free, and I'll still take him up on it, but he wouldn't replace it any sooner than 3000 miles. I guess I'm from the old school. I like the first oil change to be at 500. I don't really know if it's necessary with these new engines, but I feel better doing it. I have yet to hear from anyone that changing it early will do any harm!

I visually inspected the oil in the pan for any metal filings, but a very close inspection didn't find any. I also ran a magnet around in the oil and could feel no grit on it afterward, so I'm satisfied that if there were any filings the oil filter caught them.

A trip to AutoZone (no, I'm not affiliated--it's walking distance from my house) showed the following replacement oil filters for the 5.4L:

Mobile1: M1-210 ($11.99)
Fram: PH2 ($3.29)
STP: S2 ($2.99)
Bosch: 3410 ($5.99)
Motorcraft: FL-820S (didn't have it in stock)
AC Delco: wasn't listed in the catalog as having a model for the 5.4L

So here's a question for you all. What's the best brand? I know this is probably asking for trouble, since no doubt everyone will have their favorite. So, if you have some documentation (like a Consumer Reports or Motor Trend article), please include the year/month of the magazine. Personally, I've always been partial to Wix filters, but I can't seem to find them anywhere locally. I may have to mail-order them.

I hope this thread helps those of you who are getting ready to change your oil for the first time.

Dusty

Last edited by dusty1; 03-08-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
Well, I guess I'll chime in this thread. As far as the filter removal goes, my first time wasn't that bad. As was previously described, there isn't enough room to get any leverage on the filter. I have a variety of oil filter wrenches and the first I tried was the plier-type. It did the trick without much drama. While I was at the local discount store the other day, I noticed that they had a end cap model similar to what others have described specifically designed to fit the recesses/flutes of the FL-820. For future changes, I think that would be the best bet.

I have read a considerable amount of research on oil filters over the years. The studies typically show that there are significant differences in terms of the quality and type of materials used in the construction of the various filters. That said, however, I don't necessarily think that one filter will do a significantly better job of filtering than most other major brands. There may be small differences capability but I haven't ever read anything definitive that said that by using one filter over any other you might extend the life of your engine. FWIW, I have used Mobil 1, K&N, Purolator, Motorcraft, Fram and others and have never experienced an oil-related failure. I'm also a believer in the 3,000 mile service interval. It's my opinion that if the oil is changed regularly that, within the major brands, the choice of filter (and brand of oil to a large extent) is moot.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
I agree with txfx4x4 on the oil filter brand. As long as you change the oil and filter at 3,000 miles, any of the ones mentioned above will do the job. I will more than likely go with Motorcraft when I do the oil change myself. That's just personal preference though. I have a few freebies from the dealer to use up first.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:13 PM
dusty1
Senior User
Great points.

I also ascribe to the 3000 rule. The truck's oil change interval is now 5,000. I don't know about you, but I really hate seeing that jet black oil coming out when I know what color it was going in!

Using the 3000 mile theory, you could save enough money buying the STP filter ($2.99) instead of the Mobil1 filter ($11.99) to pay for the oil! Well, almost.

Food for thought...

Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 AM
03f150man
Elder User
Dusty1, buy the motorcraft filter at waltmart at $2.50 and (IMO) get a real filter. i agree with you 100%--3,000 mile interval is good for me.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:10 AM
greenroses
Senior User
I use only NAPA. NAPA oil and NAPA Gold filters. My only reason for this is I was once told by a mechanic that the engines he opens up, which have used Valvoline (NAPA) are always the cleanest. Not much of a reason, but reason enough for me.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:49 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used Motorcraft and Fram Tough Guards on my 2003 F150 with the 5.4. I change the oil every 2000 miles because I don't put alot of miles on the truck, so 2000 miles is about 3 months of driving. Both filters seem fine to me, have not had problems with either one.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:49 AM
fserious
New User
Thumbs up removal of oil filter

I use the Motorcraft filter FL-820S. Buy a metal filter wrench"the round type that goes on the end of the filter" make sure it has 36 splines. It will fit perfectly!!!!!!!!! Then a 12" 3/8 drive extension and it will come off in less then a minute. I pay $5.99 a filter, whats a few extra bucks if you can afford a truck like these???

Old 03-09-2004, 03:14 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
I have an FL-820S on my truck right now. It's the same filter I used on my 2001 Screw. I've never paid more than about $3.00 one though.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:25 PM
MiamiE
Junior User
why did you replace your filter at 500 miles

Old 03-09-2004, 04:33 PM
dusty1
Senior User
MiamiE

I replaced the filter at 500 miles in case there were any metal filings from the engine breaking in. I've been told that these new engines don't require a break-in, but I'm skeptical (stubborn). It's cheap insurance. Now that I got to inspect the oil, I feel better that there's nothing in there to cause the engine harm.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:37 PM
dusty1
Senior User
Fserious,

Thanks for the hint with the 12" 3/8 extension. I'll pick one up and give it a shot. I tried two 3" extensions put together, but took one off because it was easier with just one. I haven't seen a metal filter-end clamp around, I just have a plastic one, but I'll keep my eyes open. I picked up a few Motorcraft filters at Wally World. Also got the last 7 quarts of Motorcraft 5W-20 oil. I wonder if that's a sign....

Old 03-09-2004, 04:52 PM
ctfordguy
Elder User
For oil changes I like to approximate hours run rather than miles. I change my oil and take a trip that is 750 mi one way and put a couple hundred while there I would change my oil in about a month using the 3000 mi. rule. If use a 100 hrs, depending on average speed that is 3000 - 6000 mi and the oil has the same usage. Of course if you are doing a lot of short trips less than 15 min, that dont allow the oil to get warm and boil off the condensation use less hours.

As for filter type I have tried k&n, mobil, fram, and motorcraft with no difference in performance, only better piece of mind with a good filter.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Screwchief
Freshman User
Take a look at the Oil Filter Study published in the below website. This guy gave the Motorcraft a very good rating. He says that it is essentially the same as the Purolator PureOne but only cheaper. I think that will be the one I'll use.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Old 03-10-2004, 09:49 AM
dusty1
Senior User
Thanks Screwchief!

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Oil Filter