2.3 valves

Old 03-04-2004, 04:00 PM
91lxstang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2.3 valves

i have a taping valve on my 2.3 L 91 mustang. i went to auto zone to see the tool i needed and they said they didnt carry it. i went to sears and bought a regular over head cam valve spring compressor to try and tigthen my valves and its totally got my stumped. i dont even know if i have the right tool so if you guys could direct me in the right direction of what tool(s) i need and maybe a quick walk through then that would be great. be patient im only 16 and funding is short lol. but thanks alot for reverything, you guys are awsome
-jeff
-91 2.3l mustang

Old 03-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
I'm not sure, but you might want to post this in the Rangers & B-Series forum. You'll probably get more answers and a quicker response.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:54 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You can't tighten the valves on a 2.3. The 'lifter' sits in a bore (hole) in the head, and supports one side of a cam follower. The other side (end) sits on the top of the valve. THe cam comes by, and presses in the 'middle' to push down the follower. THe lifter just sits there and holds up its end, and tries to push the follower towards the cam. If it is tapping, you should measure your true oil pressure, not with the dashboard gauges. The 2.3 flows a LOT of oil, so if you run it with the cam cover off, be forewarned.
You can get the followers off by using big levers, such as screwdrivers, but will probably get a bunch of cuts on your hands. The idea is to compress the lifter enough to slide the follower off the top of the valve, and then remove it... all at the same time. Just don't let go with fleshy parts in the way, as they will get mashed. Probably a lot easier to do on a workbench, but you have to do what you have to do.
tom

Old 03-05-2004, 02:26 PM
91lxstang
New User
ok well thanks alot for you guys help.
-jeff

Search this Thread