General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Gun Owners of Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 02:56 PM
narcicus
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Gun Owners of Canada

After reading the post on Gun owners in America I had to post this little piece of information making the rounds up here in the land of the True North, Strong and Free?
I don't feel any safer, do you??

Canada's billion-dollar gun registry employs 1,800 bureaucrats, who spend their days tracking down duck hunters and farmers.

By comparison, Canada hired only 130 additional customs officers to protect our borders after Sept. 11. Here are a few more eye-rolling facts about the gun registry, mostly unearthed by MP Garry Breitkreuz from Saskatchewan.

Internal audits show that government bureaucrats have a 71% error rate in licensing gun owners and a 91% error rate in registering the guns themselves. The government admits it registered 718,414 guns without serial numbers. That means either the bureaucrats forgot to write them down, or the guns didn't have serial numbers in the first place. That's as useless as registering a vehicle simply as "a blue Ford Explorer."

* To these gun owners, the government has sent little stickers with made-up "serial numbers" on them, that gun owners are supposed to stick on their guns. And everybody at the gun registry is praying that criminals who steal those guns won't peel off the stickers.

* Some 222,911 guns were registered with the same make and serial number as other guns. That's not just useless-it's dangerous. If someone else with a "Blue Ford Explorer" is involved in a hit and run, you'll be the one getting a knock on the door by the RCMP.

* Out of 4,114,624 gun registration certificates, 3,235,647 had blank or missing entries-but the bureaucrats issued them anyway.

* In the beginning, the government's firearms licenses had photographs on them just like driver's licenses do. But after hundreds of gun owners were sent licenses with someone else's photo on them, the government decided to scrap photos on the licenses altogether, rather than fix the problem.

* Private details about every gun owner in the country are put on one computer database, called CPIC. That's valuable information to a peeping tom-or a criminal. The CPIC computer has been breached 221 times since the mid-1990s, according to the RCMP.

* In August of 2002, the gun registry sent a letter to Hulbert Orser, demanding he register his guns, and warning him that it's a crime not to register his firearms. Orser died in 1981.

* Garth Rizzuto is not dead, but he's getting older - he applied for a gun license 21/2 years ago. He hasn't been rejected. They're still "processing" his application.

* Some 304,375 people were allowed to register guns even though they didn't have a license permitting them to own a gun.

* On March 1 of 2002, bureaucrats registered Richard Buckley's soldering "gun". That's right, a heat "gun" used for welding tin and lead. No word yet on Buckley's staple guns or glue guns.

* Some 15,381 gun owners were licensed with no indication of having taken the gun safety courses-one of the main arguments for licensing.

Despite the billion-dollar taxpayer subsidy, gun-owners must still pay $279 for the required licenses, registration, photo ID and other costs to register a single gun. That's as much as a gun costs in the first place.

It's a tax - a tax on rural Canada.

* The government spent $29 million on advertising for the gun registry including $4.5 million to Group-Action, the Liberal ad firm now under RCMP investigation.

* But all of these follies are trivial compared to the central, unanswerable flaw in the gun registry: Since only law-abiding gun owners will register their guns, how can the registry stop criminals?

If you think this is information all Canadians should have, forward it; ask your political representatives about these facts. You don't have to be a gun owner to have concerns on the questionable actions taken and situation we are in. Maybe there is a better way?

Old 03-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Kannata
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a good website for more info.

http://www.gunregistry.ca/

I'm not even going to get into it beyond that, it might give me a stroke.

Kannata

Old 03-04-2004, 05:07 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Narcicus, much of the news noted has made it down here and we all feel for you guys. Their "gun-control" plan is in shambles and from what I gather they don't seem to know how to fix it. Hey, I got an idea how to fix it...............just drop it all. The scary part is that many people here think that Canada is just 20 years ahead of the US on the issue. Oh well, they can do what they want here but I'm not giving my guns to anyone, period! Go ahead govt boys, make a criminal outta me. All they would really want to do is fine me heavily; I don't think I'd even spend a single night in jail.

Old 03-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
May I add,even though they tried , no one has been arrested for not registering their guns either.

The farce is we have had a handgun law from 1930 something.
Before we can even buy a gun ,We have to get a FAC (Firearm Acquisition Certificate) this alone should have been good enough.

They aren't smart enough to dissolve it and confiscate the politicians bank accounts.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:46 PM
narcicus
Senior User
The sad part is there has been more drive by shootings and gunplay in the last few years in my city (Edmonton) than before the registration became mandatory.
Case in point, an RCMP officer shot and killed last week. A nut job with a gun shot him in the back. Registration did not stop him and never would have. It has just plain failed yet the idiots at the helm of the country are going to continue wasting money on this fiasco.
In the mean time our military is underfunded and underequipped.
I can only imagine what over a billion dollars would have meant to our armed forces.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:09 PM
77redf250
Senior User
i thought the FAC was a good idea because it required people to take a gun safety course and informed them of the laws regarding firearm use, storage, transportation and proper cleaning methods. but now those damn Liberals are going extreme. the whole gun registry thing is nothing more than a big joke even the Liberals have admitted to this but they keep pushing it because they refuse to admit they screwed up.
sure guns are involved in lots of crimes in canada and lo law is ever going to change that. it's been proven numerous times that gun control raises the number of gun related crimes. the Canadian government realy ****es me off thats why i'm in Alaska.
In the Yukon they tried to make a law restricting the use of off road vehicles . ha good luck. thankfully it didn't get passed. their new strategy is to turn everything into one big damn park so they can stop 4X4's and hunting. so bottom line don't vote For the Liberals. remember the whole Helicopter thing back in the 90's?? thankfully in the U.S.A. there's big organisations like the NRA to stop similar things from happening here.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Fordzlla
Elder User
A curious thing about this system.
I bought a pellet pistol last year at Canadian Tire. no FAC needed to buy the pistol....but i had to show photo ID to buy the pellets for it.

If you ever have some time to kill at the border when entering the states, show them your FAC when your asked for photo ID.

Old 03-06-2004, 05:50 PM
rudiger66ca
Freshman User
in my local paper was an article prisoners at edmonton max are recieving bullets.zip guns. a reader responded with why not just look in the gun registry to see who has the guns cause everyone at the max surely registered thier guns lol

Old 03-09-2004, 11:03 PM
troposcatter
Elder User
Only morons think that gun registration or the outlawing of guns will work, prostitution is against the law, drugs are illegal, its against the law to steal. Lots of things are against the law but that doesn't stop criminals it just makes non criminals criminals

Old 03-10-2004, 12:19 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
for real, let's try enforcing the laws that we already have before we make new ones, because it's already illegal to posses a gun in a lot of situations (such as convicted felons, etc...), and criminals aren't following the law anyway, so it's just making it harder for law-abiding citizens to get guns.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:14 PM
rudiger66ca
Freshman User
ohh here's another one it is against the law to wear a mask while comittng a offence ie robbery. duhh thats why i'm wearing a mask so you can't ID me lol

Old 03-12-2004, 10:00 AM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
According to the Montreal Gazette, supporters of the gun registration program claim that the program is used by police "more than 1500 times a day" for such things as confiscating firearms from people "who were a risk to themselves or others". (Could it be that registration leads to confiscation?) Meanwhile, gun crime in Toronto has increased 35% in 2003, despite the billion-dollar registration program.

It's my contention, based on studies by John R. Lott, Jr., that the increase in crime is a direct result of the registration program.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Kannata
Senior User
Don't believe anything you read in the Montreal Gazzette.

Kannata

Old 03-12-2004, 10:25 AM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Originally posted by Kannata
Don't believe anything you read in the Montreal Gazzette.

Kannata
I am not familiar with either Montreal or the Gazette, but that was my take on the article, too. After all, 1500 times a day is over a half million times for all of 2003.