1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Ford Bed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New Ford Bed

Ok, next question. This last week I saw a 51 Cheby duelie 4w drive driving around. I got to look at the guys truck and was flat amazed at the ideas this guy had. He took the old floor out and installed a corrugated metal bed out of a newer cheby truck. He then had his bed rhinoed and this darn thing looked fantastic. I was wondering if any of you had a newer model bed floor in your truck. According to him with all work parts and coating it cost him around $300 to do the bed this way. That is a far cry from the $800 plus it would cost to put a wood bed in my truck. Any of you done this and if so any pics. I will take pictures of this guys truck the next time I am home and show you what I mean. Ed

Old 03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ed, I have not seen that treatment, but a buddy had a piece of polished treadbright cut to fit his truck. It looks very cool! I think it cost him $150. Good luck, John

Old 03-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Man this truck looked like it came from the factory with this bed floor. I cannot wait to try the same. I know that wood bed id beautiful but I would be terrified to ever use it for anything. Ed

Old 03-04-2004, 09:04 AM
8Flat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a newer style bed floor in one of our old Fords would look great. It would be very stong if it was welded right to the crossmembers ans it would sure last forever. The installation should be pretty easy, the hardest part would be cutting the floor out of the donor box to fit exactly in your box.

Gary

Old 03-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Nah thats what they make chalk and a cutting wheel for. No problem. Unless I install wheel wells. Ed

Old 03-06-2004, 06:24 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the gents that frequents the Plant City car show has a 51 or 52 F-1 that is eye bending - calls it the Hillbilly Express if I remember right - anyway it is simply stunning (I can just imagine the repercussions of using "simply stunning"...oh well) and he uses a metal floor out of some donor bed like you are talking about.

Go for it - I like wood beds a lot but I have to say the metal bed floor can look great too and it will definitely be more user friendly if you intend to haul stuff. If you get to the cut and weld point...how bout taking some measurements of what you end up with for us less than accurate cut and pasters? Might be real good information to post on FTE!

OilLeaks