E4OD shifting problems (long, need help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Jeff2K1Z
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD shifting problems (long, need help)

Here is my situation. I had the trans rebuilt 11/03. Since then I have taken it back several times for erratic shifting between 1-2. I am getting really fed up with this place and would rather fix it myself than have them bandage it once again.

Originally took it in to have rebuilt because it was grinding in 1st due to planetery being broke. It shifted fine and was still driveable, just could not accelerate hard in first. Case had to be replaced due to it being broke from the planetary coming apart.

Since then it has never shifted right from 1st to 2nd. It would slip bad or just skip 2nd and go to 3rd sometimes.

They jacked with the accumulator for 1-2 shift and replaced the TPS, supposidly fixing it. I then took it back again for the same thing a few days later.

That time they ended up replaceing all the clutches again due to it burning them up from slip when shifting to second. Also they replaced a valve in the valve body that was hanging up and not allowing it to shift to 2nd properly. After that I put about 4k miles on it.

Now I took it back because it blew the front seal out of it. They said the pump failed and it blew the seal out completely. They replaced the pump and the convertor. I told them that it most likely blew it due to it overheating because it felt like it was trying to apply second at the same time it was in first. This would normally lock up the trans, but I figured it was slipping instead and created a lot heat, end result of blowing the seal out.

Got it back the other day, now it shifts extremely hard between 1-2, I mean like going to break the u-joint hard, so hard a 4.9 was able to scratch 2nd. Then when coming to a stop it does not want to downshift to 1st. All other gears are ok on the upshift, but it seems like the downshifts are to early. It does all of this when it is cold, once it warms up it shifts fine. I am able to get it to do the 2 gears at one time thing every once in awhile though still. What I mean by that is... The truck almost wants to come to a stop and really lugs the engine down. If you put it to neutral, it coasts just fine. Then put it back into gear and it is usually ok.
To me the 1-2 shift is kinda weak, but the rest are ok. Is this typical of an E4OD?

I am guessing the valve body is screwed, and just needs to be replaced instead repeat attempts of trying to repair it.
Or is the case screwed from the get go?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I think I have the most trouble some E4OD in the U.S. right now.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:25 PM
topdogg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this place your using a reputable Ford trans. installer?
If not get away from them. I own 6 f350s (various years). all have had trans work by local Ford approved tranny repair business.
That said, you can tell when the tranny breaks I don't fix it.
However, I do believe that repairs to E4OD require code changes or alterations to the computer. Could be the problem. Just my thoughts. Good Luck