1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissatisfied Super Duty Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 03:12 PM
tinman_r75
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Mr. Maniac
Nothing personal but just read the message boards. This site is full of problems with these trucks. From an exhaust y pipe diameter being reduced to eliminate vibration but decreasing power so the owner gets suggestions on after market exhaust products. All of these are money $$$$$$$$$$$ fixes to the consumer both you and me. Maybe you are not so demanding of the product you drive I don't know or maybe you were just LUCKY to have gotten a GOOD truck. As I always stated it is not my fault the truck has problems but as you always have implied the trucks problems were caused by me. I personally don't have a lot of money to spare like most consumers.
Good Luck

Old 06-14-2001, 04:44 PM
fishing_maniac
Junior User

Whoa....Tinman,
I have never intentionally or deliberately implied that you caused the problems to your truck. I am a truck fanatic. As such, I am the kind of person that will hear a squeak somewhere and spend an afternoon trying to find it. I am very demanding on my equipment and its performance!

I do actually understand your frustration though. I owned a 1996 Do-g-. It was nothing but trouble. I owned the truck for 13 months and within that time it spent 27 days in the shop for all kinds of problems. Eg. sudden acceleration that just about killed my wife and I, Tranny slipping badly, tranny governer, camshaft sensor, rear end went out, engine back firing, fuel pump, evap. X4, Oxygen sensors X3, valley seal..., seized brake calipers(that was fun) and non adjusted rear brakes from the factory(though I always thought that the rear drums were self-adjusting...Hmmm..over heating, infinity stereo died the first 25 miles,... etc....I know that I have missed about another 30 items or so. So, yes, I do understand.

However, as I have always maintained, I can not say that all Do-g-s are lemons or junk. This was my personal experience. I know others who swear by them and others at them!

You're right, I could be lucky with this truck. But I must not be alone either. A site like this is a sounding board for both pros and cons on a product. However, since I do have relatives in the industry, I do know that the problems you have had are not usual at all. I really do sincerely hope that your truck problems work out.

Tim

Old 06-18-2001, 08:02 AM
tinman_r75
Junior User

Dear Mr. Maniac, I know that Ford has the best pick up out there on the market and that they try hard for improvements from owner feedback.
I love my Ford Super Duty compared to the competition. I see these big Fords out there every day working (excuse the french)theirs rears off.
I just hope my truck comes through when I really need it to perform.
Good luck and Good fishing!

Old 06-26-2001, 10:49 PM
5brtmn
New User

Tinman,
I know exactly what you're going through. I'm on my 2nd 99 F Super Duty V8 extended cab 4x4. The 1st went back under the lemon law. I've been reading the comments between yourself and fishing maniac. I had my 1st F250 about 6 mos, out of which it was in the shop for about 52 days. Major wheel squeaking and grinding problems along with the automatic 4 wheel drive not working. Had to have my son come down to the farm twice to pull me out with my old 1989 ford 4x4 because the new one failed. My second truck developed a terrible front end problem. On a bumpy road, it was nearly impossible to contorl. I ignored the problem because the dealer I bought the truck from (I feel) could care less.When I took it in (2nd truck) the dealer had it a week, put different (not factory) lock outs on it and said the problem was fixed. I also haave a clank somewhere in thte drive train which haas been repaired (supposedly)twice. The truck came back with the new lock outs chirpping like a bunch of sparrows, the clank was still there and it sounded like the front end has a bad rubbing sound. Tokk it back again, the dealeer haaad it for a week, put different hubs on again, and fixed the clank. Unfortunately, the clank, which I was told for the second time was repaired is right back again. The rubbing/grinding sound is 3 times worse than it was, the dealer says tire noise BS! And it squeals at about 25mph. I've had the drink holder replaced, both windows repaired for screeching problems, a broken wind shield, busted shock, a CD player that didn't work when I took delivery, and took about 2 months to get a replacement. I'm not the only one in town going through this. Had a call from another 99 owner filinf the lemon law for front end problems that the same dealer can't (or won't) repair. I've got plenty more, but I need a break My blood pressure is rising.Bad part is I'm 400 miles away from losing the warranty. Then I'll bet they find the problem.

Old 06-26-2001, 11:00 PM
5brtmn
New User

I would like to add (and apologise for some of my spelling), that I have been a ford truck man for 36 years with no problems with any other truck that compares to the 99 F250's I have owned. I'm going to an attorney on this one.

Old 06-27-2001, 12:57 PM
fishing_maniac
Junior User

All I can say is wow! You're right, using tire noise is a BS excuse! I really hope that you and the Tinman can resolve these problems. Good luck to you both!
Tim

Old 06-28-2001, 08:18 PM
dave thomas
Junior User

I just ordered my 46' Baja because of my bonus check on these super dutys. Keep up the orders and we will try to get your problems ironed out.
Dave

Old 06-28-2001, 09:57 PM
5brtmn
New User

Hey Dave,

Glad you got your boat ordered. Do you work for Ford? If so, I hope your boat dealer takes better care of your needs than Ford does for its customers.

Old 06-29-2001, 01:56 PM
peter70
New User

Just thought I'd throw in a positive comment...I have a 2000 F250 SD CC, V10, long bed and pull an 11,000 lb 5th wheel. Now have 22,000 miles and am very satisfied both with the truck, and my Ford dealer's service. I consistently get 14-15 mpg highway(not towing)and about 10mpg towing on a level road. Local dealer service is outstanding. I must just be lucky!

Old 06-30-2001, 09:57 AM
victorino
New User

Sorry you are having all those problems with Ford. I think any make has its lemons. We have a 2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab, Triton 10 and are very pleased with it. We have had really good service and the truck is performing well pulling a 30' fiver. So far we are very happy. We have owned Fords for the last 25 years and never had any really major problems. We sold our last one to our neighbor and had 3 people who wanted to buy it on our street. It was a 1995 F250, 460 extended cab. It had 95,000 miles and was still running like it was new. I do know that maintance is very important for the life of the truck. Hope you get your problems solved.
Keep on Truckin
Vic

Old 06-30-2001, 11:41 PM
5brtmn
New User

Victorian,
Good to hear you're satisfied with your 2001 F250. Most everyone I talk to with a 2000 or a 2001 are pretty well happy with their truck. It seems the 1999's have many, MANY more problems. Per my previous statement. I just got my truck back 2 weeks ago for grinding in the front end. And now it's so bad it feels like the whole front end could lock up. I really wish it would. Unfortunately, I've only got 250 miles left on the warranty. Like you, I've owned ford trucks all my life. I sold a 1989 4x4 with well over 100,000 miles on it, and the guy lives up the road about 5 miles. He loves the truck. But, the 1999's I feel, were a hurry up, get them on the market, with very little if any real testing. Ford knew the front end style would be hot. As far as taking care of a truck? I change the oil on or before every 3,000 miles. I buy 4 wheel drives because I fish a lot in the winter, and I can get my boat in and out of the ramps. I sought the lemon law on my 1st 250 with less than 14,000 miles on the truck. A fellow up the street maybe 4 blocks away called several months ago,as he heard I had problems, and wanted to know what I did to file. His truck had the same problems with the front end. I heard from his sister, he now has a new 2001 F250. I haven't talked to him, but I heard it was a deal through Ford motor co and a dispute board. When he called me, he had 18,000 miles on the truck, and it had been in the shop something like 9 times for front end steering/grinding problems. Rest assured, I'm not a cry baby, I don't want something for nothing, I take care of my vehicles, and I'm not real real picky. But, for the money these new vehicles cost, I don't think the consumer should be forced to go through this kind of aggrevation. And the worst part of it for me and many other people I've talked is, Ford and the dealers just want you to go away. One more thing, I asked the dealer what was going to happen with the 1st lemon I had, And they said they were putting back on the lot to sell as a used vehicle. What a great deal for the next poor guy!

Old 07-01-2001, 02:04 AM
5brtmn
New User

May be a no-no here, but, does anyone no a site to find out where a vehicle went? I would like to find out who bought my 1999 Superduty F250 4x4 extended cab LEMON! I was told it would be put back on the lot. So, any way to trace a vehicle? VIN #?

Old 07-01-2001, 10:27 AM
Meks
New User

bein the 1st kid on the block with the newest toy always has it's set backs, u become the giunea pig for the rest of us...
and yeaaa all manufactures of all kinds have "recalls" and defects they find throughout the different uses we the people put them through...
it's nothing unusual, all makes etc etc have their problems but atleast Ford gets on top of it and fixes it fast unlike other companies...
take Harley Davidson and thier newest engine, the twin cams, and the major cam bearing and plate problems that have flown apart on people throwin metal all through thier engines shuttin them down on the side of the road - miles from home. Did HD even warranty it after it was past it's peasly 12/12 ? No they didn't, even though it was happening to thousands of bikes across the world. They did finally take the blame and start to take care of it, but it was wayyyyy after the fact and only after the word spread like wildfire throughout the world via the internet etc etc that they realized it was do or die...
Ford isn't anything like that, u find something and they fix it.
I've owned and worked out of ford pick-ups for 20 yrs, many times they have fixed things "past warranty" or no questions asked and no hassles...

My only last screw up was buyin my last '00 F250 SD from the dealer I did, most dealers here in the southeast are greatttt but Lowcountry Ford ( which is a mere 2 mls from me ) act like they don't know ya once u've made u'r purchase... and don't do the loaner car thing when u'rs is in the shop for warranty, which is BS to me... once u've paid that kind of money for something they should atleast pretend to respect u...

but that's a dealer thing, not a Ford thing...
I'll go back to the Bilton's next time, they are excellent people... but the "next time" will be another Ford SD...

we run a large fleet ( several hundred ) of the SD's where I work, from 250's to 550's... and other Ford's from 150's up to the L8000's...

rarely do we have problems, and when we do Ford takes care of it fast... just as they do with my personal mere one F250, not knowing where I work etc etc...

no offense but if u have a "0" defect then u obviously have an extremely small business that doesn't do high production rate...

as an old man told me once, if u don't screw up now n then then u aren't doin anything... as long as man breaks down so will everything he makes sooner or later... just some last longer and are stronger...

Old 07-02-2001, 06:53 PM
dave thomas
Junior User

i am glad everyone is happy with their super dutys. Ford did everything they could to make the first year of production the best. but i might add they have been in the production end of these things for quite some time and have included in the first year of this line a few extras for these trucks that were discontinued and added as options in the following years because of the cost factors.

Old 07-04-2001, 04:11 PM
mit9464
New User

I have been there. My 99 super duty 4x4 5.4 litre, was a big disappointment. From two failed engines, to all brake rotors being replaced, to rust, leaking windshield, it goes on and on. I currently own an 01 superduty 4x4 with a v-10. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but it is definitely the last Ford product i will ever own.

Quick Reply: Dissatisfied Super Duty Owners