Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Senior User

95se5m is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stripping a Cinder block wall

Lo all. I have a cinderblock wall that needs to be stripped of old paint that's flaking and calcite deposits that have built up over the years. I need to seal this wall before the ground thaws out too much more. Because of the weather going from Frigid to beautiful so quickly my procrastinating has caught up with me.

I have considered using a wire wheel on a drill, but that is going to take forever. I need to do this quick so I can maybe get the sealer on this weekend, or one night next week.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

95' F150 XL / FI I6 4.9L 300 4x4 M5OD
92' Explorer XLT / FI V6 4.0L 4x4 Auto
95' Contour SE / 2.5L Duratech V6 MTX75
Old 03-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Posting Guru

otto is starting off with a positive reputation.
sandblastings best, maybe pressure washer..........mayhaps muratic acid
Old 03-04-2004, 02:50 AM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
Sandblaster and then seal it with UGL drylock.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Post Fiend

Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.
How old is the paint? More than 30 years old? May be lead-based. Be careful when sandblasting lead-based paint. I think they outlawed lead-base paint in 1978 or 79.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Senior User

95se5m is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Orn
How old is the paint? More than 30 years old? May be lead-based. Be careful when sandblasting lead-based paint. I think they outlawed lead-base paint in 1978 or 79.
I can almost bet it's older the 30, I could be wrong however. The paint is quite loose and alot has flaked off already. Thank you for the warning, I had not given that consideration.

95' F150 XL / FI I6 4.9L 300 4x4 M5OD
92' Explorer XLT / FI V6 4.0L 4x4 Auto
95' Contour SE / 2.5L Duratech V6 MTX75
Old 03-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Post Fiend

Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.
As long as it's your residence, then you’re fine. But, a commercial establishment is another matter (in some states). I wouldn't go stirring the stink over it if it's not a public place.

Just be sure there's no children around - they love the sweet taste of lead. Pets too. I would also put some visqueen down to catch the waste. You wouldn’t want it leaching into your garden, if you have one. In sandblasting lead-base paint there is potential to have 2500 micograms of airborne lead at any given point. With that amount a Full-face air purifying respirator is recommended. I suppose you’ll have supplied air anyway with a sandblaster.
Chemical strippers are messy and a last resort – also hard (headache) to get rid of the waste since it will be considered hazardous waste.
Scraping is the best, but also time consuming and hard work.
Rotary brushes are slow, too.

Just do the job and be prepared, the less publicity the better – if the paint on it is 1978 or older.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop

Tags
acid, block, cinder, cinderblock, drylock, flaking, garage, paint, removing, sandblast, sandblasting, strip, stripper, stripping, walls