1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Drillin sheetmetal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:21 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Drillin sheetmetal

Now here's a task I've never mastered. Clean large holes in lightweight sheetmetal. I'm not talking about a 1/4 hole. I was punching a 3/4 hole in the glovebox sheetmetal radio mount, for a rocker switch. You know, the one I put the matching fabric on and was so proud of. Bit bound up as it was going through and just mangled it today. I can't afford 15 quality drill bits from 1/2 to 3/4. Know any tricks?

Old 02-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Stapler123
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
do they make any hole saw sheetmetal bits that size?
I used one to put gauges on my 74 thing, but those were 2 + inches.

*zillionth edit* (took me forever to find a working link)

qmax punch

Last edited by Stapler123; 02-29-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:17 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you seen those Multi-bits?
Its one of those "cone" shaped drill bits that step up to different diameters. Each diameter drills the pilot hole for the next.
They are kind of pricey though.

Another trick is to sandwich the sheetmetal between two pieces of wood, clamp it together, and then drill through all 3.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:07 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, the wood trick works well.

55forder

Old 02-29-2004, 07:16 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Holesaw bits work pretty well if you are starting fresh so the center bit can be precisely located.

I can see how the wood sandwich should work if the metal is flat and you can get C- clamps in there, though I'm not sure how to precisely locate the hole center with a bunch of wood in the way.

I have been looking at those multi-bits. Never used one but it would be worth the high price as long as I don't stuff it in a frame hole and wear it out in a day.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'fenders,

The milti-bits work well and they hold up pretty good too. Another thing you can look into is a Greenlee Punch (I think I spelled Greenlee right). They are available in different sizes and do a great job of punching holes in sheetmetal...

Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Dewayne, look for the "Uni-bit". They start at about $24 each but are a good investment. I bought my first one to install blue-dots in plastic taillights. It works equally as well on sheetmetal. You will wonder how you got along without one.
For you, I might be able to loan you mine. Just pay shipping both ways. Or take the 2 hour drive to the Truck Farm!

Old 02-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Hehe, looks like I had the wrong name, Uni -vs- Multi. Sorry about that.

I just noticed on all the bike building shows, they all seem to use them for drilling gas tanks, fenders, etc.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:45 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Thanks guys. I will pick up a uni-bit.

Greg,

Thanks for the offer. I'll buy one since they are good as you guys say. I'll try to arrange a visit to the Truck Farm this spring/summer. I really want to see that panel.

Old 02-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
truckfarmer has the answer. The uni-bit has saved me more that once. They make one that starts at one eighth inch and goes up to one half inch at one thirtysecond increments. They also have one that starts at around one forth and goes to almost an inch at eighth inch increments. Good luck.

Gear Up

Old 02-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
fenders, there isn't any upholstery on this sheetmetal is there? Could catch on the bit as well. I've had that happen as well.

Gear Up

Old 02-29-2004, 08:24 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally posted by Gear Up
fenders, there isn't any upholstery on this sheetmetal is there? Could catch on the bit as well. I've had that happen as well.

Gear Up
Lynn

Well of course it'ds upholstered. It may be trashed before I am done, if it isn't already. The fabric is not a big deal. The hours I spent bending a perfectly fitting false glovebox bottom kinda stinks, but at least I have a pattern this time.

Looking forward to posting some PICs. I got the last details of the interior, wiring, seat belts and audio coming to a conclusion finally.

Old 02-29-2004, 08:56 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Uni-bits are great but a bit pricey unless you use them all the time then I think they pay for themselves in reduced aggravation.

Check out your local electric supply house...sometimes you can borrow the greenlee punch sets for a deposit - like the auto parts stores loan gear pullers and such. These things were made for punching holes in sheet metal and you can get dies to punch square holes as well - sometimes very handy and much easier than drilling and getting the files out.

OilLeaks

Old 02-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
I'm going to have to check out these Greenlee punches. With having to create hole in some of my projects they might be the ticket. Maybe it dould salvage you dilema. Good luck.

Gear Up

Old 03-01-2004, 06:00 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
I think the uni-bit will solve this one without disassembly. But I'll definitely research the Greenlee punches too. They sound very handy for fabriction, which I enjoy very much.