Banks and 460

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 06:16 PM
MooseC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks and 460

how's it going? Does anyone know how well ther banks system works on the 460?

Old 02-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Domenico
Senior User
Let you know in a couple of months, I just installed the banks headers and plan to put the truck back on the road in the spring, check the sig. out there are other mods invoved.
Regards, Domenico....

Old 02-28-2004, 12:34 AM
doctorq
Freshman User
MooseC,

I now have all the Banks goodies on my '94 and I'm very happy. Banks products are expensive - some would say a rip-off - but I can at least tell you they install easily (fit good!), work well and are durable. My truck is faster, sounds better and just a lot more enjoyable to drive without being obnoxiously loud or having any funny driveability problems.

The transcommand was a big help with my E4OD slushbox.

Regarding the cost, talk directly to the Banks sales folks and barter. I saved over $700 by hemming and hawing on the purchase decision - I'm no master negotiator, I just couldn't understand over 2 grand for headers&exhaust!

I've used a G-Tech and local dragstrip to verify Banks claims. My truck started at 9.5 sec 0-60 unloaded. The "stinger" (cat-back exhaust/intake) got me down to 8 sec and the headers have me a hair under 7 flat. (Haven't run the 1/4 since the headers, though.) No race car, but not too shabby for a 5600lb truck with 90k miles!

I'm pretty responsible, but it is fun "showing the pipes" to rice burner fast and furious wannabes now and again!

There are some good products for the later model 460s, and you've come to the right place for advice. My final comment would be: Banks products may not be the best value out there due their hight cost, but at least they perform as advertised. That's more than can be said for an awful lot of aftermarket performance equipment.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:16 AM
MooseC
New User
Thanks for all the info guys I really and happy to here that Banks is a good buy. I talked to one of the sales guys and he told me $1500 or $1700 for the complete system just need to save up the cash and then we'll do that thing. I guess I should get the transcom if I do all the bolt on goodies huh? Well thanks for all the help and if you guys think of something else let me know.
I've been thinking about selling my truck a buddy of mine has an 02' with the powerstroke in it 4" exhaust and the 60-80-120 chip in it and all the goody gagues. He made me a deal and I hate to pass it up. It is about selling my beast first.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Equalizer 2
New User
I have a '93 with the Banks Stinger (cat back with K&N air filter) I pull a 25 foot 5th wheel that weighed about 8200 lbs from the Seattle area to Kingman, AZ. The performance was wonderful, gas mileage was terrible, but what the hey. Really the mileage surprised some people I know as their gassers get on the order of 5-6 pulling and I was getting 7.25 running 65 to 75 mph. I had a lot of power and the only place I noticed I needed more was on 6 to 7% grades that ran on the order of 2 to 12 miles. Pulling up out of Laughlin, NV is one of those 12 milers one heck of test of your truck. Check around for pricing on the Banks stuff, I found a dealer that sold it to me without haggling for $100 less than Banks was asking and included shipping at that price.

If you pull a lot a diesel is definitely the way to go. If you do long drives to work they are wonderful. If you just do short trips you will not be satisfied with the diesel as they are a powerhouse and beg to be worked. While fuel mileage is generally much better than a gasser and you can go longer intervals on oil changes you need more oil, the filters cost more and there are other things as well. Look at what YOU want to do and what you expect. Do some research on diesels and then make your decision. Good luck with your decision and enjoy what you have or buy.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:28 AM
MooseC
New User
Well I am happy about the reply. I do have to drive my truck back and forth to work it is only 50 to 60 mile a day but it's a tank and a half a week and that is to much fuel for me when on a budget. I hae a little CJ7 but needs a new motor to get it running right. I used to think it was a gas hog but not like this Ford is. I guess I have some thinking to do but thanks for all the help guys.