1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

3 speed w/overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Narwhal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 speed w/overdrive

Just cam across a guy who has a 1956 Mercury 3 speed car transmission (column shift) with attached overdrive unit. He says that it has been in his basement for 30 years but is all there - brackets, relay, switch for under the gas pedal...

He wants $300 for it. I've got a 3speed column shift on my '53 F100 with a 239 V8 flathead.

Should I buy it? Will it fit? I would love to get 70 mph out of the truck without straining it, but am going to use the standard (fully rebuilt) kingpin front end with modern tires. Comments?

-Scott

Old 02-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Fordknut
Senior User
If this is the original OD tranny for the Merc, it should be a Warner T-85 3 speed with the R-11 OD unit on the back of it. If it is......this is the HD duty unit used in the trucks up thru '72 that had the 352/390 engines. And........if it is in good condition, this is just about the best 3 speed OD transmission available; excluding the '65/'66 T85-AA units which had heavier gears in the tranny. These OD units have 4 large planet gears as opposed to the 3 smaller planet gears found in all the more common R-10 OD units.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
thanks for the info. Where do I find the numbers to check and can I check the relay or solenoid which is the part that I understand you can't replace cheaply.

-Scott

Old 03-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Fordknut
Senior User
These are casting numbers. The number on the tranny should be T-85. The side cover should have a curved bottom and will probably have a casting number of T-89. The tailshaft housing attached to the rear of the tranny should have a number R-11 followed by a couple of other numbers or letters. Hopefully, the owner of the tranny kept the "lockout" cable, relay and kickdown switch altho in most cases they go away with the car as they are not part of the transmission itself. These items do show up on e-bay quite regularly but are a bit "pricey". BTW, there is a truck T-85 OD on e-bay now in CA. It is the short tranny for the long bed truck. The best way to make a test of the solenoid is to remove it from the tranny. To do this, remove the two retaining bolts, turn it about 1/4 turn and pull it out. then connect the two wires to a Battery. The solenoid shaft should "jump" out with a solid click. If the connection is held, the shaft should stay out until the connection is broken. If the solenoid does not work, remove the cover and check to see that the points within are not coroded before discounting it as defective.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
green53
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Fordknut, my OD trans has the following casting #'s and I would really appreciate if you could tell me if it is 12 volt or even the year it is, side case # AB 7222 B, main case 8AJ 1A- 700 SA, and Od tail R10 F-1. I want to put this in a 53 but the input shaft is smaller diameter and approx. 1" shorter than the 3 speed that is in the truck now. The truck bellhousing mounts to the frame and the trans. just bolts to the bellhousing without a crossmember/mount. If I go with a car bellhousing, clutch etc., I will need a crossmember, no problem, but the clutch pedal and mechanism goes between the side case and a small boxed section on the frame. If I move the trans. 1" closer to the engine because of the car bellhousing, the clutch pedal geometry may be too far out. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Fordknut
Senior User
I'm not too savvy on the pre 60s Ford numbers. I'm guessing your tranny is pre-'55. Anyhow, as you say, it sounds like you will have to use a car bell and devise a crossmember as well as change the length of the driveshaft. Finding a clutch disc of the correct dia. with the correct spline is the easy part. My only thought on the mounting of the clutch pivot point on the tranny is to try to devise a bolt on bracket that will place it where it needs to be. Sounds like an interesting project; good luck "if you choose to accept this challenge". Brian G. NY

Old 03-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
Sounds like a good transmission, but definitely not a bolt-in?

-Scott
'53 F100

Old 03-02-2004, 01:46 PM
jmooremtb
Junior User
Hi,
I purchased a 3spd OD out of a 53 F100 that I will be putting in my 55 F100. My problem is that the shifter and linkage that are currently in the truck, and which I intend to continue to use, don't operate particularly smoothly. It feels like the system has experienced a good deal of wear over the years, and bind a little when you go to shift. Are there bushings, shafts, etc. that are made to replace the worn out parts for these old column shift 3 speeds? If so, which parts are they and where can I locate them?
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Fordknut
Senior User
Jeff, Take a look at Item #2464098189 on e-bay. This might be something you could use? Brian G. NY

Old 03-02-2004, 10:02 PM
jmooremtb
Junior User
Hey Fordknut,
Thanks for the direction. I went ahead and bid on it.
Jeff

Old 03-03-2004, 02:01 PM
green53
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, mid fifty F-100 parts has column shift bushings, arms, etc. They are at midfifty.com 1-800-252-1956. Could you measure your truck trans input shaft spline diameter and lenght from trans case to tip that goes in the pilot bearing ? Does the bell housing have frame mounts ? Does the OD tail have a mount as well ? I'm trying to figure how to put a car OD in my truck and have never seen how an original was installed. Thanks, Jeff

Old 05-26-2004, 09:16 AM
laddr4704
New User
I am having the same problem as Green53. I got the new clutch and pressure plate for the smaller input shaft, and was having a hard time finding a way to put a clutch fork in my bell that would work with the different release bearing. Then I happened to notice the input shaft was a different length, requiring changing the bell housing. Good news is, I think, if I find the bell housing I need, that will solve my clutch fork problem, however, the trucks had hydraulic clutches and the cars (donor for the bell housing) had manual clutches. So, what to do next, besides having the portion of driveshaft replace that I had shortened three days ago? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, since the truck has been on a lift for 5 days now at a friends garage, and I am sure he has other things to do.

Thanks again,
Rob
laddr4704@aol.com

Old 05-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Fordknut
Senior User
Laddr, What year truck are you workin' on? What engine? and.....what O.D. tranny are you tryin' to stick in there? Brian G. NY

Old 05-26-2004, 01:38 PM
laddr4704
New User
I have a 1960 F-100 with a 223-six. I was trying to put a rebuilt T-85 with the R-11 overdrive in it. I had the solenoid rebuilt, got a new relay, made new wiring harnesses, cleaned the s*#t out of it and had it ready to go, but not working out for me. Input shaft is 1" shorter on T-85 and smaller diameter. Got new clutch and pressure plate, but input shaft wont even reach pilot bushing. About ready to use it for an anchor.

Rob

Old 06-03-2004, 09:18 AM
laddr4704
New User
Update, now trying to change the input shaft and bearing retainer to the length and diameter of the original tranny. If this works, throwout bearing, clutch, pressure plate and everything will work. Just have to change drive shaft length, again.

Will keep you updated,
Rob

Quick Reply: 3 speed w/overdrive