General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Howard Stern gets dropped...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:49 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Howard Stern gets dropped...

Just read that Howard Stern got dropped by his parent broadcasting station (I don't know what the proper terminology is).

Basically, Howard and his show got fired as part of a backlash stemming from the Janet Jackson incident. Another popular talk show, the Don & Mike show, is under review by the station's lawyers on whether or not they can continue (it's another "edgy" radio show, ala Howard Stern.)

Here's what gets me - it's ok to show humans wounded and bleeding (Iraq), buildings collapsing on 3,000 civilians (WTC/911), and blood-stained pavement (Cops + evening news), but a fleeting glimpse of somebody's chest (and not even a good one might I add; the only way you could see anything is if you managed to find a still image from the internet, and even then it was pretty tough to see anything...) brings the whole world to a grinding halt?

What's the matter with this picture? It's a nipple. Everybody's got 'em. How is that more "damaging" than a picture of some poor kid in Iraq with a head wound?

And that woman who's suing over the super bowl incident - she needs to grow up. Plain and simple.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm re-igniting all of the Janet Jackson threads, but this is really ridiculous.

FWIW, I don't even like Howard Stern, but I still think this whole thing is stupid.

XXL

Old 02-26-2004, 11:58 PM
broncobillybob
Posting Guru
I haven't gotten into it. What exactly is the beef with Stern? -wb

Old 02-27-2004, 12:13 AM
archer1
Senior User
I think you have it wrong, Howards show was not canceled it was removed from 6 market places starting in florida with clear channel.
I think howard will just move to sat. radio soon. anyways.

What's next????.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:24 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by broncobillybob
I haven't gotten into it. What exactly is the beef with Stern? -wb
Nobody's actually come out and explicitly stated what he did. Evidently it offended somebody (I know, I know...thank you Captain Obvious)

Archer1 - Maybe you're right. I didn't read too far into the article. It did some odd to me that somebody would drop Stern. I'd imagine he pulls in a lot of revenue.

XXL

Old 02-27-2004, 12:25 AM
electricshock
New User
its been said a thousand times before. if you don't like it then turn it off. I just hope they don't take him of tv next.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:32 AM
theshyguy
Elder User
he didnt get cancelled, just off the air for awhile. Hes been doing his usual thing for whast 20 years. At least with him to know what your getting into. I like him some but after while he gets distasteful. But thats what gettin him viewers/listeners.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:35 AM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't care if they did drop him, if it was for different circumstances.

Back to the Janet Jackson thing, I really don't have much tolerance for people suing other people mostly because now I have to gp out of my way just to make sure I don't get sued, when 10 years ago I wouldn't of had to worry about anything. I think it's time for society to take responsibility for themselves.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:05 AM
archer1
Senior User
The woman dropped her lawsuit against CBS last week.
America needs to come out of the closet and join ranks with the rest of the world. Sex is a good thing and hurts no one but here in the old USA some folks have to have something on thier plate at all times because thay have little else to do. This warrents thier bordum.

I listen to Howard sometimes and if i don't like whats on i just TURN THE STATION, its a truly simple thing and along with some responsible parrenting it needs not even be an issue...

Old 02-27-2004, 04:41 AM
85351ho
Postmaster
what was she trying to sue for?

Old 02-27-2004, 05:24 AM
archer1
Senior User
indesency pain and suffering, go figure???

Old 02-27-2004, 07:57 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
It would be better if corporate America would not sponsor him.
Cut the head of the snake off and the body will die. As long as he has corporations that buy time on has show he will continue.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:12 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Companies basically lease/license the right to broadcast their shows to the U.S.A. under a set of low baseline standards. When those standards are violated with filth then the U.S.A., which represents the people, has every write to fine the offenders and revoke their licenses.

I think raising the fine 10x as proposed is a great way to get corporate America to follow the already low standards and keep the Janet Jacksons and Howard Sterns in line.

Why should the U.S.A. be like the rest of the world and LOWER our standards of decency.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:35 AM
broncobillybob
Posting Guru
Well said rebocardo, right there with you. I think the public is finally getting feed up with the corporate tv people, maybe they will start putting good stuff on tv again. -wb

Old 02-27-2004, 11:45 AM
grizz5675
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright!!! it's about time somebody canned stern, the guy is a complete moron; yes he made a lot of money but has no integrity, what he has achieved is added to the sum of moral decay.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:13 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Howadr Stern isn't the only one to get the ax.Bubba the love Sponge got it also.The FCC is only enforcing laws that were already on the books.If you let broadcasters like this get away with one thing you only make them bolder with their next ideas of supposedly being funny.A lot of their jokes are in bad taste.

Quick Reply: Howard Stern gets dropped...