Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Made This Tonneau?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 02:09 PM
TamaThumper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who Made This Tonneau?

I purchased my F-150 with a tonneau cover installed by the previous owner... I tried to replace it with a new Ford brand, but the old tonneau was better in every aspect so I returned the Ford product - heavier vinyl, a much nicer attachment system, rails and clamps that are out of the way, no plastic joints or rail parts, easily removable rear rail, etc...

But the previous owner discarded the front rail and tore the tarp in many places, so I want to fix or replace it, like for like...

I don't have pictures of it to post, but I can describe it as best I can, and can anyone tell me who made it???

It is dark grey vinyl, black aluminum snapless rails. Three black tubular steel bows, each of which has a spring-loaded end, and inserts into the rails at a point where there is a small round hole or "dimple" in the rail slot (not on top of the clamps like most others I have seen.) There are extra holes up front in the rails to move the bows forward and out of the way. The clamps are integrated into the rails are are invisible when installed. They are tightened by hex bolts that are visible through the top of the rails.

The rear rail inserts into the side rails and there are lever-actuated pins that keep it in place.

Best of all (the reason I like this tonneau) is the attachment system. Unlike the Ford or Lund or ExTang, it is a single heavy-duty plastic fin sewn into the tarp all the way around the sides and the back of the tarp. You stand it up on its end and then lever it down and into the slot in the rails, and it stretches the tarp material and "snaps" itself down based on the leverage of the tarp over the top of the rail. It maintains a very tight seal and a very low profile over the bed of the truck.

The front of the tarp has a plastic rod sewn into the length of it, which slides into a groove the entire width of the truck (or would if I had the whole darned rail for the front.)

There are two plastic clips at the front of the tarp that might be used for when it's rolled up (which is doable but not easy because the plastic fin is quite stiff,) and there are two nylon loops at the tailgate for stretching the tarp backwards to get the back end attached down.

There are no distinguishing trademarks or logos anywhere on this thing.

I can post pictures for anyone if it would be helpful... I will have to take them with a digital camera and get them posted somewhere.

Thanks for any help!