aftermarket C6 trans pan up grade

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 08:38 AM
fordaholic-67F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question aftermarket C6 trans pan up grade

I have a freind who bought one of the TCI kits and it came with a filter adptor tube for the extra depth of the pan. the thing I did not like was the filter that came with it fits a chrysler front wheel drive application. so can you use the 4x4 drive C6 filter and get to the bottom of the pan? what abought the other brands out there? has any one got some experience with this?

Old 02-27-2004, 01:35 PM
gregaust
Junior User
I'd use the c6 filter with the rubber grommet in it to suit the c6 4x4 deep pan and make up your own extension to suit.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:27 PM
fordaholic-67F100
Senior User
thats what I was thinking of doing my self. just wanted to know if the 4x4 filter already had an extension on it. thanks for the input.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:47 PM
chevdog
Senior User
I have that same pan and first installed that adapter with the Chrysler oil filter. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my C6, but I don't think that caused it to crater.

I won't install that adapter again, though. It looks like it causes too much restriction compared to the stock screen and intake tube. The 4x4 pan depth in the center is about the same as the TCI pan, so you should be able to use the stock screen and stock intake tube. I guess Ford knew what they were doing after all

Another comment about the TCI pan - it's tight fit to the crossmember, but it does fit. You might need to raise the tranny/tcase a bit to install it, but that's not that big a deal. What I like about the heavier cast TCI pan is that it helps to add a lot of rigidity to the bottom of the tranny case. Just don't use that adapter!

Old 02-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

Good info Chevdog.

Old 02-28-2004, 02:51 AM
gregaust
Junior User
fordaholic-67F100
Just to clarify,the filter extension is a seperate piece to the filter..It wont come with a new filter.. I don't know if they are available new..It wouldn't be hard to make one..I can post the dimensions of the 4x4 extension .if needed

Old 02-29-2004, 09:47 PM
fordaholic-67F100
Senior User
gregaust. the dimensions would be fantastic. please send them my way. and thanks for all the feed back from those with the kits. chevdog, thewhole reaseon I posted this was the tube on the kit my freind got looked way to small to supply fluid to the C6. just don't think it will flow the right volume. so I would not be suprised that it contributed to the death of the C6 you have. just like our engines oil volume, the same goes for the trans. I just did not trust the look of the pick up tube in the kit.

looks like I will go with the 4x4 filer kit and make the extension gregaust has got. thanks to all.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:12 AM
gregaust
Junior User
These measurements are in MM [metric]

-The tube is 33.5mm in diameter..
-From the top down 12mm there is a rib around the circumference to stop the extension sliding too far into the filter.
-The tube length is 33mm
-There is two little tangs on the bottom edge to go against the pan and hold it in the filter.
-The tangs are 8.5mm long and approm 100wide
-The overall length is 41.5mm including the tangs.

This filter is what goes in the 4x4 pan that steps down in the middle and is approx 70mm deep.
You could adjust the length to fit you aftermarket pan..

If my description doesn't make sense give me your email and i can draw a little sketch and send you.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:22 PM
fordaholic-67F100
Senior User
gregaust. thanks for the stats. I picked up a 4x4 trans kit today. I will see a good freind of mine at an exaust shop here in town. he will be able to make one from some old scrap exuast tubeing, then we will weld on a collar to fit. this is the way to go. the hole in the filter is a lot larger than the one that comes in the kit. VOLUME baby, got to have it on this old ford truck.

thanks again to every body.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:47 AM
gregaust
Junior User
Exhaust tubing will work fine.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
chevdog
Senior User
You know, the more I've looked at that dinky little tube on that adapter plate and remembering that it's combined with another restriction - the paper type flat filter - I'm really starting to think it may have had more to do with the death of my C6 than I first thought.
The stock setup allows for a substantial amount of flow in a pretty straightforward routing - the adapter plate, in addition to the tube/filter relocates the pick-up point away from where the factory had it.
The breakdown in my C6 came from heat - some clutch plates almost bonded together and others with no surfacing left at all, with brittle burned flakes of clutch everywhere. I know that it may not have been in the best of shape (unknown history), but this happened about 6 months after installation of the SK-6 kit, the TCI pan, and the adapter plate.
Makes me wonder. Anyway, got the rebuilt version almost done and it will sure be nice to get that 79 back on - and off - the road again.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:15 AM
fordaholic-67F100
Senior User
Hey chevdog. with what you discribed the condition of the clutch disks were in. I would say the adadtor plate had a whole lot to do with the death of your trany. your trans fluid is not just the lubricant, it is also the coolant and hydrulic fluid all in one. so heat from fluid starvation will kill one fast. that's what started this whole thread when I saw the kit my buddy got. his theroy was well they (TCI) must know what thet are doing. me being me and my back ground in auto repair looked at it and just could not get around the small tube feeding that moster trans. I have ordered the kit. but on the same day I picked up a C6 4x4 trans service kit and some tubing. I am going to make a pick up tube for my trans when the kit gets here. I will post how it turns out. take care every body and have a great week end.

Last edited by fordaholic-67F100; 03-06-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:40 PM
chevdog
Senior User
I buttoned up the C6 today and installed it in the truck - I wound up going with the TCI pan and the stock Ford intake filter screen and pickup tube extension. Feel a lot better about that setup.

Here are some dimensions that I used to modify the pickup tube extension (same one that Greg had given the original dimensions for). The stock pickup tube extension needs to be shortened to accomodate the TCI pan.
*Length of tube that fits into rubber flange on stock filter is unchanged.
*Total length of tube that extends from the rubber flange to the ends of the tangs is 5/8". This includes the collar as well.
*I made the tang depth 1/4", which left 3/8" tube remaining (including the collar).

Even though the tube is now shorter, I think that it's still worth having there to ensure that there is always fluid trapped inside of it even if the rest of the fluid is sloshing all over the pan.

I replaced a stock Ford 4x4 pan with the TCI pan. Obviously the stock pan is deeper in the center, then tapers to a shallower depth at the edges. This is also helps to clear the crossmember. The TCI pan adds some volume, even though it's shallower in the center, it's also deeper at the edges. This causes a tight fit at the crossmember for removal.

Guess I'll know in the next few days as I finish everything up if my rebuild went OK ... I sure hope so. One other thing - this is the first time I used a pressurized tranny flush to clean out the lines and cooler, and man that was easy - 10 minute job. I ordered a can along with all my parts from bulkparts.com. Really simple - connect the can (adapter included) to one of the cooler lines, run a tube form the other line to a container, and then just spray. Amazing amount of junk came out of that line! One can was plenty to clean everything, then I just ran some air through the lines and that was it.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:38 AM
fordaholic-67F100
Senior User
got my TCI kit yesterday. I made the pickup tube out of a one inch diam copper pipe fitting. had to expand it just a bit to get a good seal on the filter. soldered on a flange and good to go. I have not driven it yet. I am working on recurveing my dist timeing now. cant wait to put it back on the road. I miss the power of that big FORD V8. also got my MSD 6 and coil to up grade the ign system, thats another post and story. you guys have a great day and I'll look foward to hearing from you soon.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:41 AM
fordaholic-67F100
Senior User
up date, all was going well till I tried to set the trans down to bolt in the crossmember support. guess what. thats right the front of the pan hits the foward crossmember. I have had to remove the pan and cut off 2 1/2 in of the cooling fins. now it fits, but whooa baby aint it close. only got 1/4 in clearance. any body else had this problem or am I by my self?

Quick Reply: aftermarket C6 trans pan up grade