Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2004, 02:17 PM
New User

joedriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
help hooking up camper brake light

I have a red wire and a black wire coming from the camper shell brake light. how do i hook this up?

its an 03 f250
Old 02-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Senior User

Oklahoma is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I understand you right:

You need a test light, pocket knife, spare wire (same gauge on camper/PSD), electric tape. Maybe some electrical connectors and electrical pliers/crimper if you want to be fancy with it. With the tester, crawl under PU and locate either the wires leading to the PU brake lights or the trailer wiring before the female plug system. Have someone step on brakes and then you test for the 'hot' wire. Splice this wire into your shell red wire. Take the white one and ground to PU frame. The white ground wire is the weak link. Make sure to put in good location somewhere for corrosion protection. Tape up any splices and connections real good with tape.

This is only valid for normal BRAKE light functions. Running lights, turn signals, etc on a shell needs to be routed to corresponding wires on PU. If you also have these to do, buy yourself a 4/5 plug in type system just like a small pull camper or trailer. Everything from shell to trailers will use one spot this way. Will save you frustration in future when a light(s) doesn't work properly or the shell comes off.

Good luck and safe trips,
OK
Old 02-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Senior User

JMorton is starting off with a positive reputation.
I originally wired mine that way and my third brake lamp on the shell would blink with the left turn signal.
I had to drop a wire from the cab's third brake light and run it down the frame and up into the shell to connect to the shell's brake light. Now it works as it should.
97 Crewcab PSD, Wildman chip, DIY-injectors stage 1's, SD Intercooler, 3" DP, 4" straight pipe, DIY exhaust brake, Tymar, Shimmed FPR, Bully Dog propane, Diesel Turbo Lifesaver, Autometer Gauges, B&W hitch, Timbren SES.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:41 PM