1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Source for aftermarket heater cores?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:21 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Source for aftermarket heater cores?

I'll be using a compact 12 volt heater in my truck that I've had for a number of years. It looks like one of those aftermarket jobs you can get from JC Whitney for about 150 bucks (that used to be $29.95!).

Cheapskate that I am, I hate to buy a new one, but this old heater has been sitting in my garage for about 20 years and I doubt if the core will be up to the task. I guess I could take it to a radiator shop to check out the core and will before I install it, but does anyone have any idea as to where I could get a replacement core if I need one? I haven't disassembled it yet to see if there are any numbers or manufacturer's name on it. Is there any such thing as a generic heater core, or would some place like NAPA be able to match it up if I took it by there, or do I just install it and hope for the best and if it leaks, spend the dough for a new one? Any comments welcome...

Old 02-21-2004, 11:41 AM
pademc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vern,

I have one in my garage that I don't need. Send me the dimensions of yours and if it's close maybe we can work something out. I also have one that was in the truck when I bought it. It was out of an Isuzu pickup? It mounted to the firewall and has controls taht mount to the bottom of the dash.
Since I live in a warm state (not bragging now!) I don't need either one.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:58 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Years ago when I was using the original heater in my 55, I took the heater core to Grand Auto and matched it with one they had the only difference was the tubes were bent instead of straight.
Jaye

Old 02-21-2004, 06:54 PM
52F2
Freshman User
Vern,
If you hace a square heater core and can find an old timer in the radiator business he can make a core to fit your heater. My Ex Father in law used to do this for odd sized and hard to find cores.
Now that he is in the great shop in the sky no one around here does it anymore.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:10 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dennis,

Thanks for the offer and don't rub it in (the warm weather that is). My garage has two feet of snow in front of it and it still coming down today so it will be awhile before I can get to mine for any dimensions. If I need a core and can't find one, I may take you up on your parts. Right now I'm just trying to get my ducks lined up for Spring. You need a heater right up until June in these parts. You know that old saying that goes "It will be a cold day in July before I.....), well I don't use that expression anymore. I've seen cold days in July!

Jaye & F2,

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of having one made at a radiator shop and I might find something close at NAPA if I check. I wasn't sure if auto parts places stocked heater cores for aftermarket heaters.