General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How do you cook your steaks? Grill or Oven

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 06:58 AM
J. E. Ray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you cook your steaks? Grill or Oven

I can grill a rib-eye with the best of them. BUT there's this one place I take my wife out eat that has me beat. And not just by a little bit.
I have tried over the heat and indirect heat on the grill. The steaks are great. Still not even close though.
I talked to the waiter. He said they cook them in a 1000 degree oven. They dont have grill marks on them. I thinking they are in a pan. That would explain the amount of juice that's on the plate.
Since my oven only goes to 550 I have not tried it yet.

I have a bet with the wife that I could cook a steak as good. Really need to win this one. Any ideas?

Old 02-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Bargod
Posting Guru
More power, argh, argh, argh.

I bet that you can add a heating unit or 12 and get that bad boy up to 1000 degrees. Although, I imagine that you'll only do it once.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:18 AM
jskufan
Posting Guru
I think the key element here is "high heat". Your oven is only getting about half way there. You might try turning the grill all the way up to high and let it get as hot as possible and then put your steak in a cast iron skillet and "bake" it on the grill. Baking is baking and your grill should get hotter than your oven. Make sure whatever pan you bake the steak in is suitable for the heat and flames of the grill. Just a thought, however not all grills get that hot, it depends on the BTU rating of their burners.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:23 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Ruth's Chris' steak house does that - 1800F grill, if I'm not mistaken.

I make some pretty good steaks on a standard grille, though.

XXL

Old 02-21-2004, 09:45 AM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
milspec flame flower. pick one up from a surplus store

Old 02-21-2004, 09:56 AM
peppy
Postmaster
When out in the woods, I pan fry steaks. The camp fire does get to that temp. My home recomendation.....get yourself a charcoal grill, cook with wood, not charcoal. When that wood is burned to flaming coals, you will have as close to the temp as your gonna get. I season my New York Stips, then coat them lightly in veggie oil, throw them on the pan. The oil sears and seals in the juices. Give it a try. If you like your steaks "Pittsburg" this is also the way to go. If you can get some, I feel Pecan gives off the most efficiant heat. Burns clean without too much soot, and burns well providing an even heat. When I have BBQ's at the house, I cook with Pecan, using Mesquite for to smoke, and little Cedar for some sweetness. Not too many Apple or Pears trees to pick from down here.
Another good grill gas or charcoal. Get some cedar planks, grill salmon on those planks. Man, my wife eats that up.
Thats my ramble on grilling.

Old 02-21-2004, 02:55 PM
discorabbit
Junior User
I think that it all comes down to the marinade. I have found this marinade named "ALLEGRO", and it is the best I've ever had. Basically it is soy sauce with other ingredients. Quote from the bottle: "An excellent marinade for grilling and broiling seafood, freshwater fish, chicken, beef and pork". I have stopped using BBQ sauce except on ribs. I will marinate my ribeyes for at least an hour (I try for a day, if I have enough notice) and grill them or pan fry them over low heat (in the pan I dont want to hear any sizzle), and dump the rest of the marinade (from the bag) on them as they cook. About 5 minutes before there done I will brush a little bit of A-1 sauce over both sides and let that just cook in to them.

I don't eat steak when I go out anymore because I am always disappointed, know mine taste 10X better, but I haven't had the chance to try out Ruth's Chris' yet. Everyone that I have cooked steaks for tell me that that was the best steak they have ever had! It is the allegro hot & spicy, not me! Wow, I think steak tonight, already have the marinade out.

Oh, the best steak house in my town, pan frys them real fast on high heat on both sides before they throw them over the flaming fire. Good luck with your bet.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:26 PM
pipercub
Senior User
I like to call myself the "grillmaster" at my house as I do all the grilling. We have a charcoal and a big propane grill that rarely gets used. I like the charcoal grill. The charcoal grill was cheap and food tastes much better on it! The only time we use the propane grill is when I don't feel like getting the charcoal out or when the wife wants to grill.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:42 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
I like mine over the charcoal grill.The campfire grill is tasty also.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:49 PM
bobcf
Senior User
You have got to try the broiler, cooks from the top down.

Old 02-21-2004, 04:44 PM
dangus
Junior User
Aging the meat could have something to do with it.

Old 02-21-2004, 04:58 PM
pipercub
Senior User
Yeah, leave it out to rot for a day or so. Not really, I keep mine marinating in the fridge for a day or so and then leave them out for an hour before I grill. Using a meat tenderizer works.

Old 02-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Any who! I don't really cook steak. But I went to the Outback SteakHouse once and Man! That was some good steak! A good steak is one you don't cook yourself!

-Matt

Old 02-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Fordzlla
Elder User
It all depends on the cut of meat you start with
a nice new york strip (strip loin in Canada)
First thing is to get yor grill as hot as you can (I modified my gas grill by drilling the orifice out with a 1/16" drill bit )
I like to season them with a bit of President's Choice Memories of Kobe sauce.
Marinade for 2 minutes grill each side for about a minute. if you like them past rare then turn the temp down a bit and cook them for a bit more on each side

Old 02-21-2004, 06:20 PM
wildjon300ci
Posting Guru
Grill...ALWAYS!!! I hate oven cooked steaks!

Quick Reply: How do you cook your steaks? Grill or Oven