Valley Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:47 PM
coolmint94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valley Pan Gasket

Ok, so I just picked up a new Edelbrock Intake and Holley 600 carb, what I was wondering is if I need to get a different valley pan gasket or if i can use the same one again, or can i just get a the valley pan and not get the gaskets??

Old 02-20-2004, 11:29 PM
bubbaf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can just get a new valley pan. It is the gasket, and Edelbrock recommends it for their Performer 400 manifolds.

You can either use silicone alone to seal the ends, or use a little silicone or gasket sealer on the OEM-type neoprene end seals (they come with the valley pan).

Do not re-use the old valley pan.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Purely Ford
Elder User
The valley pan alone is not the gasket. Use both the valley pan and the gaskets like Ford did. The gaskets go under the valley pan. Whether the intake is aluminum or cast iron makes no difference since the gaskets are never going to touch the intake anyway. Why risk a vacuum leak that Ford discovered could occur in the area between the valley pan and heads without using the gaskets?

Glue the gasket in place on the heads with the adhesive supplied with them or they will slip out of place when the valley pan is set into place.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:07 AM
cid473
Senior User
if you use both valley pan and gaskets you are asking for a leak. the proper way to install valley pan is to use gasket tack per intructions from fel-pro. personally, i eliminate valley pan and install fel-pro performance gaskets.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Purely Ford
Elder User
If you eliminate the valley pan you are asking for oil to get cooked by the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. It will then build up inside of the engine and eventually clog up the oil pump screen.

CID473,
If Fel Pro's instructions are to not use the gaskets then why does Fel Pro make the original style gaskets?

An intake that is installed the original way Ford did with these gaskets along with the valley pan and the intake leaks then it wasn't done properly.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bubba's correct. The valley pan comes with the end seals and is all you should need to seal up the intake manifold. Many people throw the end seals away and simply use a bead of silicone to seal the ends. Others eliminate the pan and go with gaskets which seal the head to manifold surface and silicone for the end seals. I've also heard of others who cut the sides off of the valley pan and use performance gaskets and silicone to seal up the intake.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Purely Ford
Elder User
I disagree. These gaskets are needed.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
I'm not sure which gaskets you're talking about. The valley pan is a gasket and the end seals are part of it. The end seals can be replaced with silicone beads if so desired and this was done a lot especially when the older cork end seals were more common place. The newer neoprene end seals have integral flanges which hang over the sides of the block and many have small nipples which fit into the holes drilled into the block to keep them in place.

Whether you agree or not is sort of immaterial. Facts are facts, the FoMoCo shop manual for the 351M/400 engine shows a 3 part intake manifold gasket, 1 valley pan and 2 end seals, that's all there is to it. The installation procedure states to put the end seals on the block, apply a 1/16" bead of sealer along the top of the end seal, place the intake gasket (valley pan) in place then put the manifold in place.

Old 02-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Purely Ford
Elder User
I apologize for not understanding that this thread is about a 351M or a 400. I was also not aware that the assembly of them was that much different from a 351C and I apologize.

I have taken apart factory original 351C engines which did have the paper gaskets under the valley pan where the intake ports of the heads are. These are very available at most parts stores in the U.S.A. Every time I get the valley pan for a 351C I am informed that I will need these paper gaskets also. If these were not required by at least a 351C then why do the parts stores supply them.

Bill,
Look again at your FoMoCo shop manual and tell us what it says about a 351C.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 AM
cid473
Senior User
purely ford, if you use the felpro performance gaskets, they block off the egr crossover so you dont "cook" the oil

Old 02-25-2004, 11:57 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Some notes from someone who's tried all these combinations. A valley pan and end gaskets where factory for a good reason. The pan shields the intake from heat and the cross over helps cold weather drivability. If your heads have been milled the end piece may try to push out thus the use of silicone instead of rubber. There is no need to use other gaskets on the intake ports and they will probably cause problems if you try to use both. Blocking off the cross over will definitey cause problems unless you live in a very warm place all year.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
I have to admit it been a very long time since I've taken apart a factory 351C engine so I can't say for sure whether or not they had both the valley pan as well as seperate intake manifold to head gaskets. Unfortunately the FoMoCo shop manual I have is for trucks so it doesn't cover the 351C engine.

I do know that the Monroe How To book I have doesn't mention using any additional gaskets. It states, "All 351C, 351M/400 and later 429/460 engines use 3 gaskets. Two neoprene end gaskets seal the manifold to the block and one manifold baffle/manifold-to-cylinder-head gasket."

Old 02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
BrentKasson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the three piece gasket on my 400, it seems to work okay

Old 02-26-2004, 01:27 AM
Purely Ford
Elder User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill_Beyer
[B]I have to admit it been a very long time since I've taken apart a factory 351C engine so I can't say for sure whether or not they had both the valley pan as well as seperate intake manifold to head gaskets. Unfortunately the FoMoCo shop manual I have is for trucks so it doesn't cover the 351C engine.

Bill, I assure you that the 351C came with the paper gaskets also. That would make the intake gasket set for a 351C a five piece set.

As I said before. I can't argue with success if someone didn't use these paper gaskets along with the valley pan and didn't have any problems with leaks. Still that fact doesn't make it the proper way to install an intake on at least the 351C. Although as seen in this thread it has somehow became the acceptable way.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:25 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Hmm, I've never seen paper gaskets that I can remember on a stocker. Doesn't mean it didn't happen but I don't see the need for them. Were they very thin?

Quick Reply: Valley Pan Gasket