2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having 2nd Thoughts !

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:41 AM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having 2nd Thoughts !

I Have a Lariet on order that should be here 1st of April, but I am having second thoughts because of the issues I am reading about.

Bed shake, vibrations, and the wrench/engine light.

Ford just bought back my Expedition because of Electronics issues and although Ford financially made things right, I don't want to have to mess with something else with problems in a new model year.

I found myself on the Chevrolet truck website a little bit ago.

I realize, anything can break, but breaking and being a design issue, or out of spec materials is a different story.

Are most of this issues going to be resolved by my mid march build date ?

Old 02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Snead Hearn
Freshman User
For what its worth, I have an 04 Lariat SCAB 4x4 with about 3,000 miles on it, and I think it rides better, is quieter and smoother than the 99 Audi it replaced. Sure there was a 5 year and 90,000 mile difference, but I did not expect the truck to be this smooth. I recently returned from a 1,500 mile trip (yes, half its miles) which was really pleasant. I drove on rural highways (not freeway) most of the way at speeds between 35 (on the snow) and 90 (deserted bare pavement) and was sad when the trip ended. I had a nearly empty bed on the way down and about 800 lbs on the return trip. Maybe I am lucky, but I have been very pleased with the truck so far. The only problem I have encountered is that my wife steals it from me whenever she can.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:22 AM
BlueMonday
New User
Anything mechanical/electronic/human can have things go wrong.

I myself have only one issue with my Lariat Screw, and that's the bend in the wiper blade that prevents it from clearing the left side of the windshield to my satisfaction. Other than that, it's been flawless.

I took a $4000 hit on my last vehicle (Chevrolet Express Conversion Van) just to get out of it after less than 2 years. I had it in for service a dozen times over 22 months. They replaced the power seat mechanism 3 times, replaced the rotors once, Adjusted the door hinges so they would close properly, and worked on many squeaks and rattles (most chassis related and not due to conversion).

I've had my Screw for 2 1/2 month (3500 miles) . My Chevy was in for service three times already at this point.

Buy a Chevy if you want, but do it for the right reasons (such as temporary insanity or a permanent mental defect). I've never owned a better vehicle than my 2004 F-150.

Remember this: When someone is considering joining the Ford truck family, and instead decides to join the Chevy family, the average IQ of both groups increases...

Old 02-19-2004, 10:35 AM
bigjack
Elder User
I have 3k mi on and have not had the first problem. I love this truck! One thing to keep in mind is that on a forum like this, there are always more posts about problems people are having. Few people are going to post just to say "no problems, love my truck". If you check other forums for other trucks I think you'll find the same thing. I am a die hard Ford man and would not even consider another make. My 04 SCrew is my 6th Ford truck But thats just me.--Jack

Old 02-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Texan via Vermont
Junior User
yea, sort of like restaurants too. I forget what the general ratio is, but its something like - for every great meal you have you might tell three people, but if you had an awful meal you will tell ten or more people how bad it was.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM
NotBigEnuf
New User
I love my truck, And I had the engine light/failsafe mode problem they know what is causing it and they're fixing it. this truck is just plain awesome. that's just my humble opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Last edited by NotBigEnuf; 02-19-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:21 PM
4Jeeperz
New User
Hey SprintCarCrazy,
This isn't on topic but do you post on the popup trailer forums? Your ID and issues with the Expedition sound familiar.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:28 PM
"mad"
Junior User
A happy customer tells 5 people and an unhappy customer tells 10.
I think that there will be a few kinks to work out with the new F-150 as with any new model, but I am on just less than 500 miles on my truck and love it.
Also, people must remember that we are driving new truck and a little bed and steering wheel shake is normal.
My FX4's steering vibrates at 70mph, but it is nothing drastic. As with the bed, yes, it does vibrate a little, but nothing to write negatively about...
You want to talk about design flaws; I can start a whole new forum about my previous 02’ Dakota..

Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
Originally posted by 4Jeeperz
Hey SprintCarCrazy,
This isn't on topic but do you post on the popup trailer forums? Your ID and issues with the Expedition sound familiar.

YEP !

Old 02-19-2004, 02:42 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
Don't forget you'll have a warranty. Plus, if Ford doesn't promptly fix your problems to your satisfaction, there's always the buy-back process and lemon laws.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:27 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BlueMonday-
Welcome to FTE! I like your way of thinking, not to mention vocabulary style! You'll definitely find a warm welcome here! (I would have e-mailed you, but you have it turned off.)

Sprintcarcrazy-
I'm also the first to criticize Ford when they make a mistake, ESPECIALLY when they rush a product to market. Nothing makes me more angry than a customer who's bought an "all-new" product, and Ford's using them as a guinea pig. But the F-150 has been exceptional in this area. We've seen virtually no problems here, and everything we have seen has been minor. It's probably the best launch of a new product that Ford has that I can ever remember. FWIW.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:26 PM
ChevmaninaFord
Senior User
Now by saying you were considering a Chevy truck, you should have known you woulda got a bunch of NOs and the IQ joke. My famly has had both Chevys and Fords. Now we have a Dodge truck, we dont have a choice they are company trucks and International Paper makes the payments so drive whatever.
Our Experiences:
1. White Ford Explorer- Ran good, pitiful 4wheeldrive system, engages when tires slip on the wet road and cant go over 45mph.
2. Green Ford Explorer- same as above
3. 2000 Chevy 1500 Sil. 4x4 4.8L- ran good, got 127,998 out of it before we had to trade it in, only problem was it ran a little rich, and one can of fuel injector cleaner did the trick.
4. My truck(specs below)- Never been in the shop except for regular maintenance(knock on wood) got 119,751 on it
5. 2003 Dodge 1500 2WD 4.7 4door- runs good, about 55,000 on it and got it last Sep., transmission is still together(knock on wood), and yes i need to dodges are known to drop one or two, or three, or more
BTW, the company requires all trucks to be traded in every 2 years, and then are sold for STEAL prices. Bought the truck listed below for 8 Grand, it had 110,000 when we got it.

Last edited by ChevmaninaFord; 02-19-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:27 PM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
You all have a good point, most people don't look for a forum to post how much they love their trucks, but speak up when it's broke.

I did the same with my Expedition, well now Ford's Expedition.

After looking at the GM's, I guess I will stick it out until the new S-Crew arrives. If I change my mind, I would have to get rid of the Retrax waiting for it.

And besides, I all ready painted the garage, put up shelves and cleaned the floor so it will have a nice place to sleep when it gets home.

Wonder if I should A/C the garage ?

Last edited by sprintcarcrazy; 02-19-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:56 PM
2004supacrewlariat
Senior User
My 04 Screw 4wd lariat has been driving me carazy!
No, not a problem. It's driving me crazy because I can't wait to get my hands on it. I ordered it Jan 1. I
think I need a shrink. I fall asleep thinking about it, I wake up with a clear picture of it in my head. I am a courier, and I find myself driving out of my way to pass a ford dealership with the hope of seeing a 04
med.wedgewood blue/arizona 4wd s-crew lariat with a sunroof, black platform running boards...ect. I drive by the vehicle yard and scan the pavement and any rail cars in sight. I know what the only remedy is.

"and my wife thinks she has a shot at driving it!"

Old 02-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Labrador
Senior User
Originally posted by "mad"
A happy customer tells 5 people and an unhappy customer tells 10.
I think that there will be a few kinks to work out with the new F-150 as with any new model, but I am on just less than 500 miles on my truck and love it.
Also, people must remember that we are driving new truck and a little bed and steering wheel shake is normal.
My FX4's steering vibrates at 70mph, but it is nothing drastic. As with the bed, yes, it does vibrate a little, but nothing to write negatively about...
You want to talk about design flaws; I can start a whole new forum about my previous 02’ Dakota..
When I pay almost $30,000 for a Brand New Ford SC 2 wheel drive truck there should be no shaking or Vibration and it should drive like a dream but mine does not!
I had a 9 year old 150,000 mile Dodge Ram that did not shake as much as my new O4 Ford!

Quick Reply: Having 2nd Thoughts !