powermaster alternator? (ummm)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:41 AM
monkei
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powermaster alternator? (ummm)

i just got my 200a powermaster alternator. i had to grind some material off the bracket to accomodate its larger size. wiring was the problem here. the instructions werent very specific as to what wire went where. all it really said for my application was to use a single wire set up directly from the output terminal to the battery+ with no jumper wire(s?) required.

im afraid i may have fried the alternator. the way i wired it originally i left the yellow wire (only loose wire with ring connector) that goes from the alternator female harness to the output post (where it was placed in the box) and connected 4ga power wire from the post to the + terminal. the 4ga direct wire replaced the two black/orange wires that converged into one with a 14ga fuselink on the original alternator/wiring setup. the only other wire i connected was a green/red for the indicator light. i left the solid white wire (labeled 'electric chok') coming from the new alternators' female harness unconnected. the only other wire on the new alternator was a white/black that went from the multiwire female harness on the alternator to another spot of its own on the alternator.

i started my truck and noticed it wasnt charging so i let it ran shortly and shut it off. the alternator pully got really hot, to the point it was hot enough to begin to melt the belt a little and burn my fingers. i unhooked that one yellow from the output post and taped it off.

started it again after i had let it cool and got no additional charge.

unhooked the white/black wire that doesnt leave the alternator and still no more charge.

what the **** did i do? im pretty sure my mistake was leaving the yellow wire connected. is that white/black wire that goes from one spot to another on the alternator supposed to be connected for a one wire setup? do i need to hook up the electrc choke wire?

regardless i think i screwed up big time and ruined this expensive (was it 260 or 360$ i cant remember?) new alternator. any info/help is greatly appreciated

Old 02-19-2004, 06:58 PM
monkei
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turns out i didnt screw up. its powermaster's bad. the first wiring config was the correct one but for some reason the alternator fried anyways. i sent it out ups red today (with a 30$ check to get the black finish) and if im lucky , which im not concerning car repair, ill get it back saturday. more likely ill see it early next week. also while grinding/filing/chiseling the alternator bracket i struck my throttle body and cracked it. it leaks coolant now (what did i do to deserve this?).

has anyone else installed a powermaster 200a in their f150/bronco? what has your experience been? anyone know if theres any problem with running that alternator and an optima red top?

anyways, ill post when i get the new one in.