1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-250 Cold Start Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 07:46 PM
CEEJR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Superduty with the 5.4 motor with only 2130 miles on it and now that the weather is getting cold it has a cold engine knock when I first start it in the morning. I'm pretty pissed about this because this damn truck cost me a small fortune. The dealer can't look at till after Thanksgiving so I don't know what they are going to do and I was wondering if any one ever had to deal with a major problem like this and what I should expect from Ford. I basicly don't want the damn thing anymore give me a new one yeah right that would be nice.

Thanx
Charlie

Old 11-15-2001, 06:00 AM
mrfix
Junior User

I have a 2001 excursion limited that didn't have oil return holes in the right cylinder head. I found this out at 59 miles on the odometer, ford would not give me a new truck, they wanted to tie my truck up for a long time while we debated the issue. I agreed to let them put a new V-10 in the truck and give me a 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty on the entire truck, and I would only agree if the replacement was daone flawlessly. they did a great job, you can't even tell anyone ever put a wrech on the truck. I have 15000 miles on the engine now and the truck is great. Ford however is a very poor company to deal with. Once they get your bucks they don't want to hear from you.

As far as your cold start knock goes. When I change my oil I use motorcraft filters and 5-20 motorcraft oil. I have had a problem with the oil filters twice so far. The day after the oil change, the engine starts in the morning with a top end knock. I replace the new filter with another and the knock doesen't reoccurr. this has happened to me with 2 filters. It seem the antidrain back valve leaks by allowing the top end to drain back to the pan and promoting the dry start causing clatter. with the second filter the engine starts quietly. It's a bunch of crap, but I guess it's the price you pay for owning the toughest truck on the planet.

try changing the oil filter before you bring it in. good luck with your truck

Old 11-15-2001, 01:03 PM
Saxon
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mrfix,
How did you find out about the cylinder head missing the oil return holes?
And, how did you get Ford to treat you so well? Good job.

Old 11-16-2001, 03:15 AM
superbent250
Junior User

Good luck getting anywhere with Ford. My frame was bent as delivered from the factory. (didn't notice till I got home) My transmission has been replaced, the engine is knocking when started cold (goes away after 10mins) but I can't deal with that right now because it's in the bodyshop having welds added that were missing under the rear window. This resulted in cracks starting at the body seems at the bottom corners of the rear window........The front springs were replaced to stop the squeaking, Drivers air bag replaced to get the horn to work and the floor still "pops" when turning into a steep driveway..........Bottom line, the ford rep here in Ontario thinks I'm being picky..........

I want a new truck. I think that's only fair at this point?

2000 C/C 4X4 S/B 5.4 AUTO XLT

Old 11-16-2001, 06:11 AM
mrfix
Junior User

When I took delivery on the truck, I drove it home and checked the oil, it was below the dip stick. I had the dealer come out to my home and put 3 quarts of oil in it. The next morning I drove 18 miles to work and checked the oil, it was 1/2 quart low, I had the dealer come to my work and put oil in the truck and document the level. They told me that it was normal and all V-10's used about a quart of oil per 500 miles for the 1st 8000 miles. Not acceptable to me. I have to climb a steep hill to get home, every time I went up the hill the truck would start to smoke, knock loud and had a lot of pre-ignition. after many trips to the dealer without success I decided to figure this out. with 300 miles on the truck, I pulled the PCV hose off of the fitting and lube oil started running out, I stuck a boroscope into the oil fill hole and could not find any oil returns. I went back to the dealer and they didn't believe me, they told me that the truck was fine and if I really had a problem to let it come apart. I just paid over $40,000 for a truck and I'm suppose to "let it come apart", I don't think so, I left it at the dealer and told them they had 24 hours to tell me they would give me a new truck and my lawyer would be there at 4:00 PM the next day to arrange the paper work, then I left. they called me in 1/2 hour to tell me they found the problem and were going to put an engine in my truck. I told them I wanted a new truck, ford said no way, I call and wrote many letters to ford with no answer or success. I ended up with a new engine, 5 year 75,000 mile warranty and a bad feeling toward ford. The only reason I got what I got, was the dealer. If you have a problem with your truck, ya better find a good dealer because ford just takes your money and closes the door on ya. If you havet a problem, get a lawyer. V-10's don't use oil between oil changes and they don't knock, if ya got a problem, address it quickly, if ya let it go, you will own it. Good luck with your truck.

Old 11-16-2001, 08:51 AM
Lashlaroo
Senior User

replacing the oil filter fixed the problem on my 89 Bronco I-6 and 92 F-150 5.0

I would get 1 bad filter per year on average.

Old 11-16-2001, 08:24 PM
CEEJR
Senior User

I changed the oil at 1500 miles using fram oil filter and castrol 5W20 motor oil the knock is coming from the lower end and sounds like the knock all of my previous fords have had.

Old 11-16-2001, 11:18 PM
Lashlaroo
Senior User

GET RID OF THAT FRAM FILTER!!!!!!!!!!

all cap's because I am yelling at you.

They are junk. and that is what they are making of your enging.
I will go so far as to say, you have found the cause of your problem.

Old 11-17-2001, 10:39 AM
CEEJR
Senior User

I've been using Fram oil filters for 20 years and have never had a problem and besides even if it were the filter it wouldn't cause a rod bearing to knock and besides it was also doing it with the Motorcraft filter the truck came with.

Old 11-17-2001, 01:08 PM
superbent250
Junior User

Just for the record I have been using Quaker State filters for a while now and it still knocks. Granted I don't know who makes their filters for them.

Old 11-19-2001, 04:32 PM
weldman
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post F-250 Cold Start Engine Knock

Who makes the best oil filters guys??

Old 11-20-2001, 05:58 AM
mrfix
Junior User

The only filters I've had luck with, as far as the antidrain back valve holding so that I don't get cold start up clatter are 2 out of 3 motorcraft, purolator, napa and wix. the quaker state filters are made by allied signal (fram), all of the low dollar filters have greater potential for leaking valves that allow the oil to drain back to the pan from the top end of the engine and the triton engines need to hold the oil on the top end when shut down in order to prevent excessive wear on a cold start.

2001 excursion limited, 4wd, V-10, 3.73 LS

Old 11-20-2001, 08:50 AM
super duty bear
Freshman User

My 98 Mustang GT uses the same oil filter as my F-250. Shortly after an oil change a few years ago, I developed a cold start knock. After checking some of the Mustang message boards, I found threads relating to cold start knock and Fram filters. Long story short, I removed Fram filter and replaced with Motorcraft, cold start knock gone.

I buy Mototcraft filters at Wally World for less than three bucks each.

I have a few Fram filters left in the shop that will get tossed in the trash next time I clean up.

SDB

Old 11-20-2001, 01:58 PM
CEEJR
Senior User

it's not lifter clatter it's a rod knock nothing to do with the oil filter if it were the filter there would be 0 oil preassure at start up but I have plenty and besides it does it with any oil filter I put in ther . It's just a defective motor my guess is one of the rod bearings is out of tolerance.

Old 11-20-2001, 10:19 PM
pwhopkins
Freshman User

I've got a '00 V-10 with 23k miles on it.
There has always been a slight knock at start-up, and sometimes even a "growl". Wish the computer didn't want the truck to run so damn fast at start-up. Seems like it needs chance to get some oil before it runs so fast.

The knocking has worsened. There are mornings when I can here it slightly for like 30-40 seconds - IS THIS PISTON SLAP that I have read about on previous posts???? I always run Motorcraft oil filters with the silicon anti-drainback valve. I have run Mobil 1 5-30 since new. I had it to a dealer, and of course, he said it was normal and MANY do it.

Quick Reply: F-250 Cold Start Engine Knock