General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

As things are now, was it for the better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Chuck 6083
Elder User
Location: Where they take the census by counting the appliances on the front porch and multiplying by five
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all,
I've got kind of a rant here. I know there are at least two gals(excuse me, women) who frequent the site. I say this in no way sarcastic. I say this with more respect than you will find anywhere in this day and age, but...
...with the women's movement in the sixties, progressing thru to now, are women better off? I don't think so. Please, let me explain.

I'm not talking about right to vote and equal pay for equal work. Those sort of things are elementary. No one has a greater respect for women in the normal workplace. My wife is our accountant at work and it's one of those "do you want to speak to the man in charge, or to the woman who knows whats going on" -type deals there.

What I'm talking about is how society in general it seems has lost respect for women. It wasn't so long ago that you were to tip your hat to a lady. I haven't seen that in years or only in old westerns. I was taught as a child (and I teach my son) that you open and hold a door for a lady. That is unheard of now! And what's worse women don't expect it anymore. I teach my son that it's "ladies first",but they beat us to the door and open it for themselves.And some even act offended if you offer to hold the door for them.

When was the last time you saw a man pull out the chair for a woman and then scoot her back in? People in a restaurant look at me like I'm gonna pull it out from under her! Like I'm crazy.

And please explain to me, why a women would WANT to be a firefighter?
Explain to me why anyone in their right mind would WANT to go into combat, let alone a woman?
Explain to me why a woman would WANT to "be a man"?
Explain to me why a woman would WANT to raise a child by themselves, BY CHOICE.
I'd like to know if someone has an answer.

I think with the rate of crimes against women (rape, domestic violence, etc.) that respect for women has declined so that they are much worse off than they were. It is a situation I lament.
My wife says she had no part in the women's movement and wants things back the way they were supposed to be as far as men's chivalry is concerned.

I will continue to teach my son to have respect for women. People say, "you can't live like that nowadays". I say you can.

I'm done now. The bubbles are getting thick around my soapbox.

Chuck

Old 06-13-2002, 09:21 PM
toronaz
New User

>Greetings all,
> I've got kind of a rant here. I know there are at least
>two gals(excuse me, women) who frequent the site. I say this
>in no way sarcastic. I say this with more respect than you
>will find anywhere in this day and age, but...
> ...with the women's movement in the sixties, progressing
>thru to now, are women better off? I don't think so. Please,
>let me explain.
>
> I'm not talking about right to vote and equal pay for
>equal work. Those sort of things are elementary. No one has
>a greater respect for women in the normal workplace. My wife
>is our accountant at work and it's one of those "do you want
>to speak to the man in charge, or to the woman who knows
>whats going on" -type deals there.
>
> What I'm talking about is how society in general it
>seems has lost respect for women. It wasn't so long ago that
>you were to tip your hat to a lady. I haven't seen that in
>years or only in old westerns. I was taught as a child (and
>I teach my son) that you open and hold a door for a lady.
>That is unheard of now! And what's worse women don't expect
>it anymore. I teach my son that it's "ladies first",but they
>beat us to the door and open it for themselves.And some even
>act offended if you offer to hold the door for them.
>
>When was the last time you saw a man pull out the chair for
>a woman and then scoot her back in? People in a restaurant
>look at me like I'm gonna pull it out from under her! Like
>I'm crazy.
>
>And please explain to me, why a women would WANT to be a
>firefighter?
>Explain to me why anyone in their right mind would WANT to
>go into combat, let alone a woman?
>Explain to me why a woman would WANT to "be a man"?
>Explain to me why a woman would WANT to raise a child by
>themselves, BY CHOICE.
>I'd like to know if someone has an answer.
>
> I think with the rate of crimes against women (rape,
>domestic violence, etc.) that respect for women has declined
>so that they are much worse off than they were. It is a
>situation I lament.
> My wife says she had no part in the women's movement
>and wants things back the way they were supposed to be as
>far as men's chivalry is concerned.
>
>I will continue to teach my son to have respect for women.
>People say, "you can't live like that nowadays". I say you
>can.
>
>I'm done now. The bubbles are getting thick around my
>soapbox.
>
>Chuck

Chuck,
I believe we all should have respect regardless of gender, but you are correct in the fact that in society today - I see where the respect lacks. I just blame the parents, as you only know whats taught to you as a youngster.

signed,
a female

Old 06-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Jun-02 AT 10:26 PM (EST)]Chuck: your points are very well taken.

Women today, are now more than ever perceived as pieces of meat. Show us your .... etc. The mystique that was part of womanhood is gone to a great extent. That it is gone, or at the very least so eroded, damages us all.

Many factors can be pointed out that show the decline. But the fact remains that it has happened.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Practically ALL the women in My & extended family (includes cousins,etc,) feel that the supposed Modern women in there Mission to be treated equally with respect,have spoiled it for them.

Myself, I have always been a chivalrous(sp) guy,even explaining to there women I happen upon that Chivalry is NOT dead yet,and it never will die because I have something to do with it.

Also, while we're here,
How come some people don't sign their name at the end of
their post or reply ?

That would be showing respect to others ,would it not?

[font color=red]Dennis

Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|FTEModerator]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html

[font color=red]
Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
[/font]

Old 06-13-2002, 09:49 PM
rocky
Elder User

I still treat ALL women as if they are ladies, until they prove otherwise. I've gotten some surprised looks, but never a mean look back. To carry it further, I teach my kids to help old people put the groceries in the car, stuff like that. I refuse to get with the rude modern times, I'm stuck in my ways, so women will just have to put up with my being an old fart that opens doors for women.If their husbands don't like it, I am free to counsel them.

Old 06-14-2002, 03:25 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think one could start a whole new web site on this subject.

My feelings on this.

I think that the women who want to be equal in every way to a man have an egenda. The feminist movement is behind this. Part of it is called "gender netural". I'm not talking about the mental aspect but the physical. Women in submarines,(although this has not happened yet but they keep trying), combat aircraft, on the front lines, rushing into burning buildings, chasing the bad guys, etc. Women have climbed up the corporate ladder and have become recognized as a positive and equal force in business. Sometimes better. Women have long resented the fact that men had an unfair advantage when it came to business and wanted to break free of the sexists attitude and sterotypical image of the lowly secratary and common house wife. It was a battle fought long and hard and they have overcome for the most part. I say good for them. And now the movement wants to conquer man himself. It has become very political. Male bashing from the feminsts is a common thing now days. Both sexes have their own strengths and weaknesses. I don't think that the women of this movement can except the fact the a man is physicaly superior. It's just how we are made. God created man then women from man. Women as the weaker sex. (Physicaly). To believe this means to believe in and obey God and that is someting that the feminsts movement is not ready for. We men are not blamless either. We have also fallen short. I could go on but like I said in my first line.

Old 06-14-2002, 06:48 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User

It used to be that the man had the responsibility to be the primary bread winner. Men were expected to work all day and women were expected to take care of home and family. I can appreciate the fight for equality. If a woman does the same job, as efficiently and as well as a man (or vice-versa) equal pay and benefits are deserved. What I fail to understand is how a woman can join the military and then refuse to go to combat with statements like "I enlisted for the educational benefits. I never wanted to fight!". Anyone that doesn't believe that statement needs to look at the interviews of a lot of single mothers from Florida (and elsewhere) that had enlisted prior to the gulf war, then complained and said they would not go to fight. This is one of the reasons some women are treated as they are. They fight to get into all-male military academies, then fail because they cannot meet the same standards. Why do they do that? What are they trying to prove? They become police officers and firefighters, but I don't know of any women that could lift me up, at 250 lbs, to get me out of a burning building or subdue a large, aggressive assailant without using a firearm. I do not want a female firefighter trying to rescue me. I do not want a single mother standing between me and some lunatic with a gun, while she is thinking about her child being left alone if she gets killed. They (some, not all, not necessarily most) want equality when it suits them, but back down when it is to their advantage. Just take a look at child custody during a divorce. If a man is supposed to be superior in earning capabilities, wouldn't that make him a better choice for a custody dispute? The women state "but you have to work all day and leave the kids at daycare. I can stay home with them and raise them myself". Of course, they can only do that while the man is paying. Where are equal rights and respect for men? Women have made the decision to be treated equally in all aspects. When will they start holding doors? If you hire a woman that decides to have a child, you are required to give her maternity leave. This can be two years! It may not be paid, but you have to hire a replacement for them while they are gone, then terminate that replacement when the woman is ready to return to work. How absurd is that?

I still practice chivalry. I hold the doors, pull out the chairs, help with the coat, and carry the heavy things. I do it because I enjoy it, not because it is expected. Women are the weaker sex physically, and they think with their hearts and act on emotion. If women keep acting the way they do, though, I think they will eventually get what they want. I do not think they will be very happy about their accomplishments. I think they will remember the "good old days".

Old 06-14-2002, 08:40 PM
icelander
Elder User

Very well said enduro! bet you never thought youd hear that from me!

an earlier poster said that they blame the parents, why is everything the parents fault? no matter how you bring a child up, that child, when old enough, will think and act for and by themselves. if a male child chooses not to respect women, it is usually his choise. i am 26 and was raised by a single mother from age 12 on. my mother worked super hard so we could live as comfortably as we did and wasnt there for me in my "impressionable" years. i basically raised myself. my point is: i hold doors for anybody, man or women, i say sir and ma'am no matter their age, i pay my taxes(more than i think i should) and have never commited a crime( well.....nothing bad) parents can only do so much. they are only here to guide their kids. anybody who blames their parents for anything they have done is just copping out.

as for the subject at hand: women are the most amazing creatures on earth. however, i dont think they should be firefighters, cops, fighter or bomber pilots, citadel cadets, ect..... i just asked my girlfriend if she want a female firefighter to pull her out of a fire she said "no, cuz a guy could throw me over his shoulder" the feminist movement in this country is trying to turn men into women. that girl that infiltrated the citadel was a prime example of women being where they shouldnt be. i want to see a boy try to get into the girlscouts or a boy apply to an all girl school. why cant we as men have our own clubs or schools anymore? their are plenty of places for women to go to be with other women exclusivly, why do they need to break down a mans place of learning or recreation? men and women will ALWAYS be different, why do we have to be "gender neutral"? why cant we just be man and woman?

Old 06-14-2002, 09:18 PM
76supercab
Senior User

>Greetings all,
> I've got kind of a rant here.
<snip>
>Explain to me why a woman would WANT to raise a child by
>themselves, BY CHOICE.
<snip>

I think Chris Rock said it best. "Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it a good idea!!"

Old 06-16-2002, 01:00 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru

I have to agree with you ice regaurding the parent thing(well your whole statement accually)
I happen to know 2 brothers,raised by the same mom and dad one is in prison for attempted murder and the other is getting ready to grad from college. now how can the parents be blamed for the one in prison??? they raised the boys together (only 14 months age difference) both boys had excellent grades in school and both are excellent athletes.. its called CHOICES we have to syop blaming the parents for everything now granted some are bad parents but not all are its the kids that make the choices not the parents

just my $.02

Old 06-16-2002, 02:07 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Parents help to instill ideals and beliefs in their children. But it is up to the children to decide whether or not they want to follow those. Religion could be one example. I was raised in a religious family, however, I don't go to church and will admit to not being the model of a religious person. That is not my parent's fault, that is my choice. We can only give our kids the seeds of beliefs, what they choose to do is up to them. I was not tought to hold the door open for a lady, close the car door for them, or anythign like that. But I practice it. When a girl is getting into my car I open the door, then close it for them. When I go to a store and somebody is behind me, I hold the door open, whether it is a man or a woman, I think that just falls under being courtious and not closing the door in their face. And most everybody will say thank you. So, don't blame parents for everything, everybody can think for themselves, and makes their own choices.

Gary
==============================
1946 pickup-ongoing project
1946 pickup-waiting for resto.
1947 pickup-parts truck
1957 Ford FL 500 Town Victoria
1970 Mustang FB-daily driver
1972 Olds Vista Cruiser-4 sale
1988 Bronco II-for sale

Old 06-16-2002, 02:48 PM
icelander
Elder User

hey taz, to prove that point..i was raised by my mother and my little brother was raised by my dad...guess who has spent time in jail? my brother. not for anything serious, just a few dui's but that makes the point perfectly. he now lives in Iceland with my mother and even had a dui there! and believe me.....jail in Iceland is a picnic, they let you go home for luch and dinner and you can bring your own pillow and covers. the police dont carry guns and the laws concering alchohol are very lax. in fairness though, iceland is about the size of ohio and only 250,000 people live there.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:57 PM
mantta
Posting Guru