2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing 6,000 lbs - Your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:43 AM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing 6,000 lbs - Your experience?

I recently ordered the 4x4 F150 Lariat SuperCrew, with all the trimmings, LT tires, LSD etc. (no-DVD). Should be here in just under 4 weeks.

I will be pulling the Malibu Wakesetter 23' LSV, boat, trailer, and stuff will be about 6,000 lbs. The load in the truck will be 4 to 5 guys with equipment (1,500 lbs). The trailer will have 4 disks brakes.

I know the truck is rated at towing 9,200 lbs. or so.

I had to go with the F150 because it is short enough to fit in the garage.

Has anyone had "experience" in towing a load like this with the new F150 4x4? Also, how many miles would you have on your truck now? Is it getting the job (towing) done for you? Good? Bad?

Thanks

Last edited by HoustonPerson; 02-16-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:35 AM
TNford27
Junior User
HoustonPerson,I have towed my enclosed trailer but it's not 6000 lbs. but it towed great. I put a post on here titled hooked to my trailer,but apparntly people on this site's could care less whether you are happy or satisfied about the towing of your truck,but if you have a complaint you will get alot of reply's.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:00 AM
capt_jj_98
New User
TNFord27

How much drop does your Hitch bar Have , is it a straight bar or a 2" drop.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:32 AM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Re: TNFord27

Originally posted by capt_jj_98
How much drop does your Hitch bar Have , is it a straight bar or a 2" drop.
I will not know till both the truck and boat/trailer get here. Of course with the trailer in tow, it should be level. The boat dealer so far is estimating about a 2" drop for this truck; but of course will not know till all the stuff is here. He said that most of their 3/4 ton trucks average a 4" to 6" drop. This is not a problem for me, because the hitch store (just down the street), carries every brand made in any drop, you would possibly require.

So at this point I can only guess 2" to 4" drop.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:35 AM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Question

Originally posted by TNford27
HoustonPerson,I have towed my enclosed trailer but it's not 6000 lbs. but it towed great. I put a post on here titled hooked to my trailer,but apparntly people on this site's could care less whether you are happy or satisfied about the towing of your truck,but if you have a complaint you will get alot of reply's.
Thanks for the input. Yes I did read your original post.

Is there anybody else out there pulling (towing) some good size loads?

Old 02-16-2004, 09:37 AM
gabz
Junior User
Capt JJ -

I recently went from 2002 4x2 to 2004 4x4 so I needed a new ball attachment. My 4x2 I used a slight drop (probably 2") and for the 4x4 I had to go to 6" drop.

what DOESN'T work is the fact that the RV place sold me one that is 12" long and before my safety chains were MORE than adequate - now they are too short. I think that the attachment point for the chains is actually further under the truck than my 2002. And I didn't think to check my electrical (but I know that was kind of long) - I know my cable for the emergency brake will be too short... ggrrrrr... back to the drawing board.

Houston -
I guess you've got a weight distribution or 5th wheel/gooseneck setup? (Since your factory-installed hitch is only rated at 5000.)

I suggest you check in on the TOWING forum too... there might be someone there has a similar configuration.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:53 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Originally posted by gabz
Capt JJ -

I recently went from 2002 4x2 to 2004 4x4 so I needed a new ball attachment. My 4x2 I used a slight drop (probably 2") and for the 4x4 I had to go to 6" drop........

Houston -
I guess you've got a weight distribution or 5th wheel/gooseneck setup? (Since your factory-installed hitch is only rated at 5000.)

I suggest you check in on the TOWING forum too... there might be someone there has a similar configuration.
Panic Attack - Just called Ford. It is a full Class IV Hitch. Most Weight Carrying Limits for that type hitch are limited to 7,500 lbs. Ford said this one is set to 10,000; but that would be with a weight distribution hitch, limited to the towing capacity of the vehicle, which is about 9,200 lbs.

Aparently, the Ford web site is not up to date, and is still showing the 2003 Hitch platform limits of 5,000 lbs; which is a Class III Hitch.

I am comfortable with the fact that it is Class IV Hitch; but I will still attempt to confirm its capacity, just in case the Ford lady did not have her details correct.

If for some reason, the hitch is not up to snuff, then I will have to upgrade it.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:05 PM
gabz
Junior User
Houston -
Going by whether it's a Class IV or III is not always an accurate assessment... I believe that rating is arbitrary depending on who is using it. to quote: ***Most*** Weight Carrying Limits for that type hitch are limited to 7,500 lbs." unqote

I'm going by what is STAMPED on the steel on the hitch (and also embossed into the the plastic on the back bumper).
5000 pounds / 500 tongue weight for weight carrying. You can GO to your dealer's lot and look for yourself.

I've got the 2004, 145" wheelbase, SuperCab XLT with 5.4 litre and tow package with what Ford calls a "Class IV" factory installed hitch.
Maybe you have a long bed with longer wheelbase? but I'm doubting it since you wanted something that fit in the garage.

so - if MORE than 5000 pounds, you need a weight distributing hitch OR gooseneck OR 5th wheel and remember to stay within your GVWR, adding your tongue weight, passengers, equipment, etc., to the curb weight of your truck.

Last edited by gabz; 02-16-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:06 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Post Hitch Platforms

Just looked at about 10 to 12 F150's all super crew, some FX4 some Lariat. Most were 4x2's, maybe 1or2 4x4's.

Yes the "weight carrying" is 5,000/500
Most of the "weight distributions" were either 9,500/950 or 9,900/990; one or two of those were 8,700/870 (or something in the upper "8" range?). All those I looked at were made from August 2003 thru November 2003; based on inspection stickers. So it looks like I may be using "weight distribution" - UGH more mess.

Old 02-16-2004, 04:32 PM
JACKC
Junior User
Houstonperson I towed my 24' Reinell with my 02' F-150 4x4 and just used the class IV receiver it came with. Dry weight of the boat is 3480lbs and the trailer is near 1200lbs. Total of 4680lbs. My gas tank is 70 gallons so there is another 560lbs? plus all the gear, usually 4-5 people in the truck. I towed from 5800' elevation down to Lake Mead Nevada and back up again with no problem. The truck didn't even squat. If you use an equalizer hitch be sure you unhook it when you are turning at the ramp to unload it. Good luck. Jack

Old 02-16-2004, 05:12 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Thanks for the input JackC

I know that the boat is advertised at 3,900 lbs, and I have heard anywhere from 1,200 to 1,500 for the trailer. I have loaded up both the boat and the trailer with options, and accounting for boards, skis, fuel etc. is how I estimated the 6,000 total tow weight. I will not know the real weight till it gets here and I weigh it. So it would be close as to whether to use the equalizer or not.......

In a perfect world I could just snap my fingers and "command" the boat to jump in the water so I can "Ride"

If I have enough weight left remaining on the front wheels of the truck then it will be fine; but, if I feel my front wheels a little light then I will add the equalizer.

Honey is about to get me. "Honey" we need to add this and it's only $$$$$. Soon, I will be sleeping on the boat! But at least I can Ride. LOL

Old 02-16-2004, 05:31 PM
gabz
Junior User
Houston -
it sounds like you'll be really close. I feel badly for "raining" on your boat ... but when you said boat & trailer at 6000 pounds I was then, adding in all the "stuff" that folks start putting in the boat (cooler with a gazillion pounds of ice and beverages, fuel tanks, skis, ski-board, ropes, wet towels, yada yada yada... but it sounds like you may have allowed for that.

and, the truck and hitch are probably more than capable ... but if anything happens and you are over the limit...
The worst thing is when the tail starts wagging the dog...

hope this works... if not, here's the link
http://www.horsetrailerauction.com/f...0&currentpos=3

I get a little more nervous about that kind of stuff since when I tow, it's a live animal (or 2) ... a boat, while loved a great deal, is a little more replaceable than a companion horse.
P.s. do you ever go to Padre Island? When I lived in San Antonio, I loved going there.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:59 PM
3tonV8
New User
I don't have an 04 but I towed my Correct Craft Ski Nautique(about 3800-4200 with trailer) with my 97 5.4 4x4 SC with 3:55 gears all the time with no problems. I could hardly tell the boat was back there. I would estimate the tongue weight was never more than a couple hunderd pounds as I could barely lift the tongue. I used an aftermarket class 5 hitch but never had a problem. I also Towed my Skid Steer Loader which weighed about 6800-7500 with trailer. As long as I centered the loader over the axles of the Trailer I never used a wd hitch and never had a problem with squat or a light front end.
The 04 is supposed to be much better for towing so I would think you will love the way it handles your Malibu.
Later
3tonV8

Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Gabz-
Been to Padre Island a couple of times, the Texas coast is just not my thing. For the Wakesetter, it will be fresh water lakes for me all the time.

Thanks for all the input. At least I have been studying up on the hitch stuff. Been looking closely at the Dodge site too. It has a good deal of explanations, calculators etc. The calculator they have even reminds you to add in the tounge weight to trucks weight, etc.

A zillion years ago, I use to pull large travel trailers 24' to 26' with the old time frame cars of the 60's and 70's, of course you could only use equalizer hitch with that. It would push the entire car, all four wheels down to the ground. If I remember correctly the tounge weights back then would be about 600 to 800, maybe a little more. One of the 1967 Buick Wildcats, we could transfer all the weight to the front. The rear tires barely would have traction to make it go. I think we curled up a couple of frames on two of the cars. LOL

I know at this point the Ford installed hitch receiver will be fine and if the front of the truck is too light for me, then I will add the equalizer. I know that the boat trailer combination should have really great balance, good spacing between the tandom axle. It is possible that the tounge weight could only be 400 even though I am planning on it being up to 600.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:26 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Thanks 3tonV8

I know from a weight standpoint, total load and total trailer weight I will be just fine. The new frame on the Ford is by far the most solid of any of the half-tons out there. Since I will have 5 guys in the truck, that should help keep the front down too. However, if I do find out it is unbalanced for me, then I can add the equalizer to it. Thats no biggy.

I have watched two strong big guys move this exact boat tralier combination across a "smooth" concrete floor. I could tell it was at least 400lbs Of course all the "push" they were doing, included the entire weight of the rig (4 tires) as well. I sensed they would be hard pressed to pick up the tounge, or they just liked making a lot of noise. LOL

Later

Quick Reply: Towing 6,000 lbs - Your experience?