Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2004, 08:06 AM
New User

Robert L is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford triton 5.4

Ford 5.4 triton motor misses sometimres and may just stop missing or it may stay for an hour or so.This happens mostly on highway but not restrited to. Check engine light on and mechanic can find no codes ??? Help...
Old 02-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Senior User

jj292 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try posting your question in the modular v8 section. All the experts would hang around there.

Good luck, JJ
89 F150 XLT/Lariet 302 EFI - The daily driver
Old 02-14-2004, 11:51 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
You say that the check engine light is on, but it shows no codes?
That doesn't make any sense.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 02-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Senior User

Tony1790 is starting off with a positive reputation.
does the check engine light come on and stay or does it go off sometimes?? My truck was misfiring with no codes showing, finally CEL came on and without shutting off the truck I had the dealer check the computer. Was a bad #8 coil. Be patient, if it's under warranty keep getting them to fix it, if not warranty use autozone's code reader until a code shows.

Good luck

Tony in AK
Old 02-23-2004, 11:11 PM
New User

speckk is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had similar problems,

I had numerous 'Coil' problems on my '97 F150. I had a very reputable shop look it over they found that the coils were going out. Fortunalty it they were under the Shops warrenty.

It took several attempts to find the root problem.

Ok Here it is;

Where the Wiring Harness comes out of the firewall(Passenger Side) the Wires that go to the coils had chafed(Rubbed) against the Accumalator Bottle until some of the actual Wire was exposed. As I drove for a while the Condensation would build up and Short out the Coil.

The Fix was to either replace the Harness(Very Expensive) or Simply Wrap the Exposed wire then Cut a piece of heater hose to fit arounf the wires were they were contacting the Accumulator Bottle.

Also the AC Hoses go dirctly over the #6 Coil dripping Condensation onto the Coil and can cause it to short out. Ford has a fix for this and could be on the recall list.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:19 AM
New User

dwells50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up 5.4 miss

Last month I noticed a miss in my 1999 E-250 5.4 w/ 62,000 mi. I thought maybe I had some bad gas (or my van did), but it happened a little bit on the next fillup, too. I used Chevron Techron concentrate in the next tank, and it's not missed since.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 PM
New User

jamiswolf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi Robert,
I had a rough running 5.4 and code didn't show up at the shop...but the mechanic tracked it down to a bad coil. This is the first coil I had to replace (other then the one that bounced off the underside of my hood when a spark plug blew) but I'll definitely check out the situation that Speckk described. Thanks for posting that Speckk.

Hope yours is an easy fix Robert...
J
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Posting Guru

shotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiswolf View Post
Hi Robert,
I had a rough running 5.4 and code didn't show up at the shop...but the mechanic tracked it down to a bad coil. This is the first coil I had to replace (other then the one that bounced off the underside of my hood when a spark plug blew) but I'll definitely check out the situation that Speckk described. Thanks for posting that Speckk.

Hope yours is an easy fix Robert...
J
Hope so too - but after 6 years, not sure it matters...

Good use of the search feature though!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Posting Guru

torkum is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
First you need a new mechanic. These trucks will talk to you if you have the proper equipment like a scanner that reads mode6, not a code reader.
More than likely you have a low grade misfire and a COP will take care of it. By looking at the misfire count the PCM will point you in the direction of the problem cylinder.

www.TrueBlueTrucks.com
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Elder User

cabindoc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
old post

Do you work for Old timer log homes?
SOLD 2004 F350 172" wb srw Lariat 6.0l w/ 4" lift
SOLD 2008 F350 172" wb srw KR 5.4L
totalled 2006 F450 "steak" body
Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM
New User

rerun1217 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my 04 navigator has a miss when cruising at 50 to 70 mph . its not showing a code ,help
Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Senior User

pony is starting off with a positive reputation.
My rough running 5.4 with all of the usual symptoms turned out to be a bad boot. CEL never came on. Took it to the dealer and asked them to do a "pending code" check, the mode6 thingy. It showed a record of missfires on #1. They replaced the boot...no problems since.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
54, 54ford, 54l, code, condensation, engine, ford, misfiring, miss, missing, reader, recall, skipping, triton, v8