Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak

Old 02-12-2004, 10:04 PM
cpnhtown
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil leak

I've been fighting a BAD oil leak for a while now. Spent alot of money trying to have it fixed (rear seal, head gasket, and several other gaskets) but it is still leaking. I noticed alot of oil around the lower intake manafold just below the distributer. Could it be the manafold gasket leaking (loosing about a qt. every 3 days) that badly. It doesn't appear to be comming from the oil pan gasket or front seal. Oil spatters all over the engine area.

I'm also getting oil comming through the hose connecting the valve cover/oil spout to the fresh air intake. It completely saturates the small filter within a couple of months. Could their be some sort of crank case pressure causing this problem. I'm getting good vacuum a the PCV valve.
Thanks CP

ps 91 f150 302 v8

Old 02-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cpnhtown

With your second section.

That sounds like the engine has blow by. Bad rings cause that. If you have established that your PCV system is working properly, thats about all that can cause this.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:16 AM
jommer
Junior User
Do you have oil splattered all over the driver's side fender well under the hood? If so, sounds like what I found on mine. The oil sending unit was leaking. It's a little screw in (1/4" pipe thread) sensor just below the distributor on the side (driver's) of the timing chain cover (just above the oil pan). It has a single wire plugged into the top of it. It's what sends the electrical signal to your guage or light.

Mine was leaking about a quart every 2-3 days. When the engine is running it spurts just like if you severed an artery!

I thought I had a blown rear seal, but really couldn't trace the oil leaks back to it. So I thought it must be the front seal, but there wasn't enough evidence there either. Finally I traced the trail right back to the oil sending unit.

They're pretty cheap ($10). Just make sure you tell them if you have a light or a guage for oil pressure on your dash.

Old 02-16-2004, 04:36 PM
cpnhtown
New User
superdave: Thanks for the info. I've got 176k miles on that engine so I could easily see leaky rings as a problem. Is it possible that blow by could cause more pressure than the crank case venting system can handle?

jommer: I found the part you were describing. There was alot of oil in the area, but I couldn't physically see any oil comming out of the fitting. I guess I need to degrease and pressure wash under the hood again and give it another look. Looks like a b#tch to get to.

thanks cp

Old 02-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cpnhtown
[B]superdave: Thanks for the info. I've got 176k miles on that engine so I could easily see leaky rings as a problem. Is it possible that blow by could cause more pressure than the crank case venting system can handle?

Yes.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Tony G
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The oil puddle under the front intake manifold might be the distributor o-ring gasket.
Tony

Search this Thread