1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ididit column and drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
ididit column and drop

hi guys...

got my shiny new Ididit column and column drop... problem #1 ... the column drop is an extremely tight fit on the column and I'm not forcing it on to scratch up my column... anyone else have this problem ...??? what did you do ??

problem #2 this is a one piece polished drop... and with the above mentioned tight fit.. there ain't now way it's gonna slide up over the GM connector and wiring/grommet in the column.. one option I see is cutting the drop across the diameter of the hole... then mill it out to make up for the material lost in the kerf... but why am I having to do this ??? any suggestions ??

I'm calling ididit tomorrow and see what their column gurus have to say... but I'm open for suggestions...

thanks

john

Old 02-12-2004, 08:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
What a pain in the ****. Doubt I'll be of assistance here because I have a Flaming River column and a Billet Specialties swivel drop. My drop hits the column almost directly beneath the dash, about 2 inches below the column shifter bowl. My wiring exits about 8 inches below the mount location near the brake pedal. Where do your wires exit the column on Ididit? Tell me your wiring doesn't exit out the shifter bowl like a stock GM column? If it does, you're going to have to do your machining idea for an attractive install. You could go around it for the moment while you regroup though. You sound frustrated. Been there, keep your cool, a machinist can cure anything.

As far as the tight fit, I think they want a slight interference fit. A drum sander in your drill should cure that if you're close. But your machinist might have a better plan. I taped my painted column while I jacked around with drop location.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:56 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John-
I bought an IDIDIT column and Billet Specialties drop but the drop was a split type with inset allen head screws in the bottom half. Are you sure yours is not already split? I don't know how they would expect you to put everything together with a solid piece. If yours is not split, then I suggest you return it and purchase a split one from Billet Specialties or another source. Best of luck.
Larry

Old 02-12-2004, 09:12 PM
sschev70
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine also is the split type with allen screws. I didn't know they sold or offered a solid column drop.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:15 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Sorry about that John. I completely missed the part about the solid drop. Lose it and your problem should go away. The swivel split drop is going to be far more adjustable anyway. You can dial in your column location exactly where you want.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:58 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
my wife was right

my wife was right...and as she so often comments.... I'm an idiot... I called Ididit this am.. and found out this is a split ring drop... but the finish was so smooth you absolutely couldn't see a break till you loosened the set screws... I thought the set screws were long and applied pressure to the hinge part to hold it in position... I am so stupid...

it was a perfectly smooth polished finish... they must tighten it down then polish it out so the line disappears... it's amazing... two other people looked at it (one is a good machinist)and couldn't see it either.. as soon as I told Hank at Ididit the problem... he said loosen the screws and you'll see it... and it was also nice of him to say "You're not the first one to call back with this problem... in fact, you're not the first one today !!" soothed my bruised eqo somwhat...

so all of you that thought John actually knew something.... well please contact my wife... she knew all along...

thanks for your help anyway..

later
j ( cool... AND stupid)

Old 02-13-2004, 08:39 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Old 02-13-2004, 09:35 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John- I'm sure you are not stupid; maybe just a new pair of glasses? However, my wife tends to point out my flaws whenever the opportunity arises. I figure at least 90% of guys who love old cars and trucks must be pretty smart and cool!!!

Larry

Old 02-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're right John. Some of the suppliers do such a good job of polishing that the line completely dissappears. I saw one last year in the display case at Sacramento Vintage Ford. I asked the guy behind the counter how anybody could install it as it looked like a solid piece of metal with a hole in it. He said he got that all the time and that it was actually a split unit. So, happy installing. John

Old 02-14-2004, 05:57 AM
joners
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol i had the same problem.....until i back the screw off

we all have our moments