Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 w/canopy and sprayed on liner front bed leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 02:49 PM
trailerbear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm new to this and I've got a frustrating problem I need some help with.

I bought my 2001 F350 crew LB 4X4 diesel in August, 2001. Right away, I had a Rhinoliner sprayed on followed by a Leer canopy. So far, not a single problem with the truck but I'm now on my second canopy. The first canopy leaked from every window and had some other workmanship problems, but the canopy dealer had a new one made up for me without additional hassle.

My ongoing battle is with persistent rainwater entering the bed via the front panel of the bed. We've eliminated the canopy and the canopy to bed rail connections as the culprit. Somehow, when the truck is going down the highway, rainwater is finding its way into the bed in sufficient quantity that it gets everything lying on the floor of the bed wet as it sloshes to the rear.

I've gone so far as to remove the canopy and direct garden hose spray at the seams of the bed between the cab and bed, yet below the front bed rail. Sure enough, water dribbles down both sides of the front seams. I've caulked the four indents along the side seams from the outside, although I would have thought the Rhinoliner would have done the trick. Unfortunately, this hasn't seemed to have much effect.

The canopy dealer says the Super Duties are designed to drain the seam water through holes now plugged by the liner. He says he sees this problem pop up now and again with Super Duties. Rhinoliner says they're stumped. It looks like a good coat of liner.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Old 03-20-2002, 03:23 PM
V10gunner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this sounds familiar. The side window on my Snug-top shell leaked because the cutout for the window was too large. It ended up going back to the factory for some fiberglass work. The shop that installed my shell was nice enough to spray the entire bed area of my truckwith water and seal ALL of the leaks with silicone. The biggest leak was at the front of the bed, at the leading edge of the top rail. The metal folds over and looks like it might be welded, but there is a significant gap here:-X23 . They sealed it from the outside and the inside. They also sealed the front of the floor of the bed where it butts up to the headboard. I haven't had leaks since!

Kinda a drag if you have a shell, but if they didn't have seams for the water to run, everybody else would be driving around with a wading pool in their bed.

-V10gunner

'00 SD F250 Super Cab XLT, 4X2, 142"WB, 6.8L V10, 4R100, 4.30LS, Camper Package, Dark Toreador Red over Silver, Line-X, Husky mud flaps, Snugtop Xtra Vision Cab-high shell, AutoMeter Tranny Temp Gauge, Banks Stinger and TransCommand

Old 03-20-2002, 05:40 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts