Too Propane or not Too Propane

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 04:46 PM
FastF350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Propane or not Too Propane

Questions for those who use propane and know more about it than me.

1. How safe is it?
2. Does it really work?
3. Did you make your own kit or buy one.
4. Pros and Cons

Thanks I am sure this will help some of us that are interested.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:08 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
can you say no warranty?

Old 02-10-2004, 05:29 PM
FastF350
Senior User
Come on why is that when ever someone talks about a aftermarket part its "bye bye warranty". You could buy a billet grill cover and if something goes wrong with your truck ford will say its because of the grill cover or exhaust perhaps your keychain..... whatever u get the picture. If it leaves no trail like the plug in programmers or k&n filter there is no way for them to say that u had these thing on the truck. What are they going to do back track your credit card records to see if you ever bought it. Dont think so. Now un less the propane leaves a diffrent burn coat on pistons then thats a diffrent story but i do not believe it to be like NOS. Dont mean to bash the warranty thing but what ever you put on your car/truck you can take off just as easy.

Sorry for the vent tn mac

Last edited by FastF350; 02-10-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:40 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
hey fast I am in your camp, just dont want to give the dealers any reason to get out of fixing the truck. after fighting with ford since aug. to fix my truck and no results. getting sick of ther excuses, you might check on the programers, was told they can tell, and all programers leave trail on 6.0.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:43 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes from the factory they put some kind of anti-tampering device. Mostly what I've seen is a "torque lock" where they squirt stuff out of a tube and lay it over the fastener. If the fastener is tampered with, the torque lock will show it, either by being missing or broken. Thus the technician can rightly so deny any warranty claim.

For the most part, they would put the stuff on all the fasteners on a given component, so if it "somehow" degrades (which it WON'T) they can look at the other fasteners to see.

I have seen it used on some satelite tracking systems in highway tractors, and some drivers disconnect their satelite recievers to "go offline." Those drivers didn't have a job after that.

Edit: Anyway, if you're not afraid of losing your warranty, I'd say go for the propane injection. I have seen a dually Dodge with a Cummins light up it's duals in second gear.

Last edited by bigrigfixer; 02-10-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:53 PM
FastF350
Senior User
The programers, i am sure it is possible to trace but you need a tec that know what the F there doing and in most cases on these new truck the only thing they know is what has gone wrong before i.e. recalls or know problems. Now to look for a trace of a programer that would have to be a master or senior tec and the insurance/warranty rep for ford. Since he(rep) gets paid to avoid paying out calims, it would be in his best interest to know exactly what to look for. But the tec is just like you and i, they love there car/truck(s) and also add aftermarket parts to them to make it "their truck" so he usually has no interest in being cry baby.

For me i have the edge attitude and it connect after the pcm so i am pretty sure it cant be traced

Old 02-10-2004, 06:52 PM
JC 6.0
New User
Most chips and programmers will store a continuous memory dtc.
It is a PO603 code. It also makes it very troublesome to diagnose
any other problems the truck may due to erasing the other codes.
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth!

Old 02-10-2004, 07:58 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe the tech might not be that smart but the computer is. Freeze frames and stired parameters with date in memory will tell the tech that a chip has been there.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Why would "you" want to use propane?

Old 02-11-2004, 09:11 AM
CruisnPhantom
Senior User
From what has been advertised, Propane makes the engine run more efficent and seems like a great idea - anyone have any other thoughts?

Old 02-11-2004, 09:56 AM
RJB1
Elder User
Gain up to 66% more power and torque. Up to 40% better fuel economy. Cleaner oil and up to 19% better fuel burn ratio.

These are the advertised reasons. Is it better than getting a predator or other box?? Who knows.

My .02 worth.

Bob

Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
BossEliminator
Junior User
Propane

Propane is a very "dry" clean burning fuel with a lot less lubricating properties then diesel fuel. You will scuff valves guides, cylinder walls and other componets if the wrong combination is used.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:23 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by RJB1
Gain up to 66% more power and torque. Up to 40% better fuel economy. Cleaner oil and up to 19% better fuel burn ratio.
These are the advertised reasons. Is it better than getting a predator or other box?? Who knows.
My .02 worth.

Bob
What about your warranty

Old 02-11-2004, 06:28 PM
FastF350
Senior User
From what i have seen most of these kits are self contained and just dump a hose into the air box. So once you remove it there is no sign of it. Unless it does leave a different burn on the pistons like said earlier. But I am not sure of all the details that why i would like to hear from someone who has it or knows alot more than I.

P.S. I will be testing the performance gains on a trial(selfmade) propane kit tomorrow at the track.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:44 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be careful with propane being as the 6.0 has powdered metal rods just like the '01+ 7.3s have.

Many people ventilated their blocks when they used propane with a hot chip. They'd stress the rod running hard with the pane on and then blow a connecting rod later on tooling around town or even idling.

A lot of the 6.0 owners are hesitant to use propane in conjunction with a power module after all what had happened with the 7.3 and PM rods.

What activates and controls the amount of propane that you will be using??

Here's a quote I've saved about propane:
LPG is nice for getting a little better economy, more power (up to 100), and the fact that you can run it all the time. (much like a chip) The Propane acts as a catalyst, allowing the diesel fuel to burn more efficiently.

The benefits - systems such as the PS-2000 regulate the propane in proportion to the boost. More boost - more LPG. The power comes on very smoothly and steadily.

The downside of propane is that it advances the timing, so it's not recommended to run it in conjunction with a hot chip, or a chip that hasn't been programmed with retarded timing to compensate for the LPG.

Quick Reply: Too Propane or not Too Propane