Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Senior User

FastF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Too Propane or not Too Propane

Questions for those who use propane and know more about it than me.

1. How safe is it?
2. Does it really work?
3. Did you make your own kit or buy one.
4. Pros and Cons

Thanks I am sure this will help some of us that are interested.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Posting Guru

tn mac is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
can you say no warranty?
2002 f250 5.4 4x4 sc sb lariat
2000 f350 7.3 real powerstroke
crew cab 4x4 longbed srw 3.73 gears
1990 f150 4x4 shorbed 302 5speed
1978 f150 4x4 shortbed 351 xlt
2008 v10 f350 crewcab 4x4 crewcab longbed
Old 02-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Senior User

Come on why is that when ever someone talks about a aftermarket part its "bye bye warranty". You could buy a billet grill cover and if something goes wrong with your truck ford will say its because of the grill cover or exhaust perhaps your keychain..... whatever u get the picture. If it leaves no trail like the plug in programmers or k&n filter there is no way for them to say that u had these thing on the truck. What are they going to do back track your credit card records to see if you ever bought it. Dont think so. Now un less the propane leaves a diffrent burn coat on pistons then thats a diffrent story but i do not believe it to be like NOS. Dont mean to bash the warranty thing but what ever you put on your car/truck you can take off just as easy.

Sorry for the vent tn mac

Last edited by FastF350; 02-10-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Posting Guru

tn mac is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
hey fast I am in your camp, just dont want to give the dealers any reason to get out of fixing the truck. after fighting with ford since aug. to fix my truck and no results. getting sick of ther excuses, you might check on the programers, was told they can tell, and all programers leave trail on 6.0.
2002 f250 5.4 4x4 sc sb lariat
2000 f350 7.3 real powerstroke
crew cab 4x4 longbed srw 3.73 gears
1990 f150 4x4 shorbed 302 5speed
1978 f150 4x4 shortbed 351 xlt
2008 v10 f350 crewcab 4x4 crewcab longbed
Old 02-10-2004, 05:43 PM
The Pacifier

bigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputation
Sometimes from the factory they put some kind of anti-tampering device. Mostly what I've seen is a "torque lock" where they squirt stuff out of a tube and lay it over the fastener. If the fastener is tampered with, the torque lock will show it, either by being missing or broken. Thus the technician can rightly so deny any warranty claim.

For the most part, they would put the stuff on all the fasteners on a given component, so if it "somehow" degrades (which it WON'T) they can look at the other fasteners to see.

I have seen it used on some satelite tracking systems in highway tractors, and some drivers disconnect their satelite recievers to "go offline." Those drivers didn't have a job after that.

Edit: Anyway, if you're not afraid of losing your warranty, I'd say go for the propane injection. I have seen a dually Dodge with a Cummins light up it's duals in second gear.

Last edited by bigrigfixer; 02-10-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Senior User

The programers, i am sure it is possible to trace but you need a tec that know what the F there doing and in most cases on these new truck the only thing they know is what has gone wrong before i.e. recalls or know problems. Now to look for a trace of a programer that would have to be a master or senior tec and the insurance/warranty rep for ford. Since he(rep) gets paid to avoid paying out calims, it would be in his best interest to know exactly what to look for. But the tec is just like you and i, they love there car/truck(s) and also add aftermarket parts to them to make it "their truck" so he usually has no interest in being cry baby.

For me i have the edge attitude and it connect after the pcm so i am pretty sure it cant be traced
Old 02-10-2004, 06:52 PM
New User

JC 6.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most chips and programmers will store a continuous memory dtc.
It is a PO603 code. It also makes it very troublesome to diagnose
any other problems the truck may due to erasing the other codes.
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Postmaster

SBV45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe the tech might not be that smart but the computer is. Freeze frames and stired parameters with date in memory will tell the tech that a chip has been there.

2013 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4X4
2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 4X4.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Why would "you" want to use propane?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 02-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Senior User

CruisnPhantom is starting off with a positive reputation.
From what has been advertised, Propane makes the engine run more efficent and seems like a great idea - anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 02-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Elder User

RJB1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gain up to 66% more power and torque. Up to 40% better fuel economy. Cleaner oil and up to 19% better fuel burn ratio.

These are the advertised reasons. Is it better than getting a predator or other box?? Who knows.

My .02 worth.

Bob
2007 Mustang 4.0
2000 FLSTF (Fat Boy)
Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Junior User

BossEliminator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Propane

Propane is a very "dry" clean burning fuel with a lot less lubricating properties then diesel fuel. You will scuff valves guides, cylinder walls and other componets if the wrong combination is used.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by RJB1
Gain up to 66% more power and torque. Up to 40% better fuel economy. Cleaner oil and up to 19% better fuel burn ratio.
These are the advertised reasons. Is it better than getting a predator or other box?? Who knows.
My .02 worth.

Bob
What about your warranty
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 02-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Senior User

From what i have seen most of these kits are self contained and just dump a hose into the air box. So once you remove it there is no sign of it. Unless it does leave a different burn on the pistons like said earlier. But I am not sure of all the details that why i would like to hear from someone who has it or knows alot more than I.

P.S. I will be testing the performance gains on a trial(selfmade) propane kit tomorrow at the track.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Post Fiend

DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
I'd be careful with propane being as the 6.0 has powdered metal rods just like the '01+ 7.3s have.

Many people ventilated their blocks when they used propane with a hot chip. They'd stress the rod running hard with the pane on and then blow a connecting rod later on tooling around town or even idling.

A lot of the 6.0 owners are hesitant to use propane in conjunction with a power module after all what had happened with the 7.3 and PM rods.

What activates and controls the amount of propane that you will be using??

Here's a quote I've saved about propane:
Quote:
LPG is nice for getting a little better economy, more power (up to 100), and the fact that you can run it all the time. (much like a chip) The Propane acts as a catalyst, allowing the diesel fuel to burn more efficiently.

The benefits - systems such as the PS-2000 regulate the propane in proportion to the boost. More boost - more LPG. The power comes on very smoothly and steadily.

The downside of propane is that it advances the timing, so it's not recommended to run it in conjunction with a hot chip, or a chip that hasn't been programmed with retarded timing to compensate for the LPG.

Other 2wd PSDs: 99 F-450, 00 F-450, 01 F-350, 02 F-350, 02 F-550, 04 F-450, 06 F-450
Old 02-11-2004, 06:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
2000, 60, code, f450, ford, liter, po603, propane